Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 PA Archery Season >

PA Archery Season

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA Archery Season

Old 10-08-2008, 09:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: PA Archery Season

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

Just talked to a friend I don't see that often and he tagged a three year old 120" buck with a 20" inside spread the first day. He shot it behind his house near Slickville.

i could kill a nice buck or doe easy in my yard behind my house,what fun would that be?

yes, i could brag and show off horns and tell a story i shot it in woods on stateforestland.

i have 100 acres and it would be a LOT easier for me to get a buck or doe,which i dont hunt do to lack of fawns etc on privateland.

the FUN is making things hard each year trying to get a nice buck on STATEFORESTLAND where you have memories of growing up,dad/uncles/cousins that are gone.

i am LAST of one of the best groups of hunters in clinton county and i still love hunting in SAME area that i grew up in.

i believe your boys will have same memories hunting with you.

you talked about deer not coming to your sons, then later they did ..

THATS GREAT,make it CHALLENGE to get that deer and your kids will have great memories on hunt.

today kids dont know difference betweeen a buck print in snow and doe.

most never trailed a buck to know how it doubles back etc. they sit in tree and go home.

but, this is not the way things are done too much now, OLD SCHOOL is gone.

sadly, learning these things is fun part of hunting,not sitting waiting for deer LIKE i do and most do now.

how things have changed, some for good,some not.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

i could kill a nice buck or doe easy in my yard behind my house,what fun would that be?
I agree wholeheartedly that a challenging hunt is more satisfying.

Rather than go with my first reaction to what you said, I'll simply ask if you are assuming that this fellows hunt was in some way easier than if he had hunted someplace farther from home?
Old 10-08-2008, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rather than go with my first reaction to what you said, I'll simply ask if you are assuming that this fellows hunt was in some way easier than if he had hunted someplace farther from home?
......Not a lot of State Forest land in the Slickville area, Sproul....I know it's a shame, but sometimes ya just gotta live with the hand you're dealt.....
Old 10-08-2008, 12:19 PM

Very nice looking buck and thanks for the detailed play by play :-)
Old 10-08-2008, 06:23 PM

I agree with making it tough. 90% of the time I hunt using my mountain bike and I drive about 4-5 miles back hauing a trailer, treestand and equipment. I love it. I am alone and I have to figure the deer out. I have done this with great satisfaction for the past 10 years and have shot about 8-9 bucks. This year I am traveling for work next week. Going hunting in S. Illinois for the first 2 weekends of November. Time was limited this year and I had the opportunity of the new property. Thinking of using this place for an afterwork hunt that I could get to quick. Last Sat I had a wedding to go to in the afternoon and thought I would just check this new place out. Success came easy and I am disappointed that I won't be doing the MB thing, but with this years schedule I shot the first one I saw. In this case, the biggest body deer I have ever shot in PA.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Pawildman

......Not a lot of State Forest land in the Slickville area, Sproul....I know it's a shame, but sometimes ya just gotta live with the hand you're dealt.....

you are right, i guess i am fortunate to be so close to open stateforestland.
i can be in woods in 10 minutes .

i guess i have to understand that a lot of people cant get to woods and hunt behind their homes,i did it in maryland and my biggest buck is from olney,md but it was terrible seeing cars go by and people talking and people washing cars and cutting their grass,dogs barking, there i sat hunting archery