Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

LACK OF ACORNS?

Old 10-09-2008, 12:49 PM

Default RE: LACK OF ACORNS?

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

ORIGINAL: sammy_tat

ORIGINAL: sproulman

i was out walking in my hunting area,clinton county wmu2g oif pa..

i did not see 1 acorn on ground,not 1.

what are you all seeing and what areas of state.
2G in clearfield county, Acorns all over the place. The WMUs are way to big to manage sproul.
As if the quality and quantity of any givenacorn crop, which is regional cyclic and seasonal, could be made a part of a management plan.

I personally agree that WMU's should be smaller but spotty acorn crops have nothing to do with it.
How can you support the PGC agenda on the bad winters for management which is regional cyclic and seasonal and then comment like you did about my post?
Old 10-09-2008, 07:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

ORIGINAL: sproulman

i was out walking in my hunting area,clinton county wmu2g oif pa..

i did not see 1 acorn on ground,not 1.

what are you all seeing and what areas of state.
2G in clearfield county, Acorns all over the place. The WMUs are way to big to manage sproul.
As if the quality and quantity of any givenacorn crop, which is regional cyclic and seasonal, could be made a part of a management plan.

I personally agree that WMU's should be smaller but spotty acorn crops have nothing to do with it.
How can you support the PGC agenda on the bad winters for management which is regional cyclic and seasonal and then comment like you did about my post?
Are you suggesting we should align WMU's according to the acorn crop?

Old 10-09-2008, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats funny, Don't they do that with herd management and winter storms
Not according to RSB. He claims the PGC doesn't know how many fawns are recruited each year ,so based on that the PGC must just guess at the number of doe tags are necessary to manage the herd.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bluebird2

Thats funny, Don't they do that with herd management and winter storms
Not according to RSB. He claims the PGC doesn't know how many fawns are recruited each year ,so based on that the PGC must just guess at the number of doe tags are necessary to manage the herd.
.........Off to hijack another thread AGAIN, bluebird2?? Just what does your input have to do with this year's acorn crop??????? Do you have any other life than butting into topics that don't concern your hatred for the PGC????
Man, you're obnoxious!!!!
Old 10-12-2008, 12:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bad year for oaks/acorns in my area of SE Pa (5-D). Acorn drop/density is regional for sure, as well as tree specific. Last year was one of the best in my area in a long time.This year sucks![&o]
Old 10-12-2008, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

.Off to hijack another thread AGAIN, bluebird2?? Just what does your input have to do with this year's acorn crop??????? Do you have any other life than butting into topics that don't concern your hatred for the PGC????

Your attacking the wrong guy for hijacking this thread. Sammy Tat and BTB started a discussion about the size of the WMUs and if the PGC manages deer based on hard winters.

I don't hate the PGC because they are just doing what DCNR , the timber industry and political pressure forced them to do. Everyone on the deer management team knows that the habitat can support twice as many deer as we have now. But if they want to keep their jobs and get promotions they have to do what the politicians demand.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:20 PM
Fork Horn

a few spots in western mass i hunt have acorns and they dont last to long on the ground.i will be there tomorrow.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: buckmaster_27

a few spots in western mass i hunt have acorns and they dont last to long on the ground.i will be there tomorrow.

i also will be out at daylight, in my stand on monday.

if i can get out of bed

the deer in my yard are going crazy over chestnuts and 1 oak tree that has nuts.

from what my scouting ,i only see deer eating grass lately and they are feeding a lot on my trail camera.

feeding times are ,7am to 9 am/6 pm to 930 pm/2 am area.

but not 1 buck, so far is seen , only doe.

it seems that bucks are not coming out until dark and are staying away from doe.

i do notice that doe are like geese now, while 1 eats others look around, i think thats do to coyotes..

most of coyotes i am getting on trail cam are at 9 pm at night.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bluebird2

.Off to hijack another thread AGAIN, bluebird2?? Just what does your input have to do with this year's acorn crop??????? Do you have any other life than butting into topics that don't concern your hatred for the PGC????

Your attacking the wrong guy for hijacking this thread. Sammy Tat and BTB started a discussion about the size of the WMUs and if the PGC manages deer based on hard winters.

I don't hate the PGC because they are just doing what DCNR , the timber industry and political pressure forced them to do. Everyone on the deer management team knows that the habitat can support twice as many deer as we have now. But if they want to keep their jobs and get promotions they have to do what the politicians demand.
........You just have to try to put your own little "spin" on anything you want to try to turn a subject around to what YOU want to talk about. What sammy tat and BTB were conversing about had nothing to do with your interjection on your own behalf. I can read as well as you can.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats funny, Don't they do that with herd management and winter storms?
That is what Sammy posted. RSB said the PGC doesn't know how many fawns are produced after severe winters. Therefore there is s direct connection between Sammy's post and what i posted,even though you don't like it.

BTW, you are the only one that responded to my post in which you accused me of high jacking this thread. So I guess that makes you a co-conspirator.

Quick Reply: LACK OF ACORNS?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.