Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

LACK OF ACORNS?

Old 10-07-2008, 09:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: LACK OF ACORNS?

ORIGINAL: SteveBNy

Cougars ate them.

Steve

Old 10-08-2008, 04:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

So why the lack there of, dry conditions?
Old 10-08-2008, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

By me in 3c the acorn crop is quite good.White oaks are way off,not many white oak acorns on the ground.Rock oak are very prolific,I was on a flat Sunday that had so many rock oak acorns on the ground it looked like they were being dumped out in buckets.
How can a person from Endicott be in 3c?
Old 10-08-2008, 07:58 AM
Fork Horn

Also in 3Cand its first time in a few years we actually seem to have a decent acorn harvest. Last couple of years we had a real bad gypsy moth infestationbut last year it started to die down and this year it was fine. First time I can go outside and actually pick up acorns and the bears haven't been bothering the garbage or bird feedersince around august this year so you know there is something out there feeding them.Good luck to all this year.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Little to no acorns at any of my hunting spots. THere are some behind my house(PA-2B), Almost none at my main hunting spot(PA-2D), NONE in my Ohio spot, and this weekend I will check my last remaining 2D spot for any.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:28 AM

ORIGINAL: sproulman

i was out walking in my hunting area,clinton county wmu2g oif pa..

i did not see 1 acorn on ground,not 1.

what are you all seeing and what areas of state.
2G and 2E in clearfield county, Acorns all over the place. The WMUs are way to big to manage sproul.

We had that big wind storm a couple weeks back also. I think that contributed to the mass acorns we see on the ground in the areas that got hit by it.It was the tail end from that hurricane.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: sammy_tat

2G in clearfield county, Acorns all over the place. The WMUs are way to big to manage sproul.
As if the quality and quantity of any givenacorn crop, which is regional cyclic and seasonal, could be made a part of a management plan.

I personally agree that WMU's should be smaller but spotty acorn crops have nothing to do with it.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:39 AM

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

ORIGINAL: sammy_tat

2G in clearfield county, Acorns all over the place. The WMUs are way to big to manage sproul.
As if the quality and quantity of any givenacorn crop, which is regional cyclic and seasonal, could be made a part of a management plan.

I personally agree that WMU's should be smaller but spotty acorn crops have nothing to do with it.

Thats funny, Don't they do that with herd management and winter storms?
Old 10-08-2008, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I did get up to camp (2G) last weekend. Due to some projects at camp, I didn't get out into the woods as I'd hoped to check the situation out. What I DID see, however, were acorns in the yard. There isn't an oak tree within 100 yds. of camp, and then only one. Something must be finding enough of them to be dropping an occasional one or two in the yard. They were whole acorns, not nawed up pieces.
I do hear that 2D is spotty, but there seem to be plenty here at the house. Our grandkids were here yesterday afternoon, and my wife sent them outside to see howmany each of them could find. Three of them (aged 5-8) found close to 200 of them in about 15 min. All in our front yard. Looks OK here....
Old 10-08-2008, 11:19 AM

ORIGINAL: tsoc

By me in 3c the acorn crop is quite good.White oaks are way off,not many white oak acorns on the ground.Rock oak are very prolific,I was on a flat Sunday that had so many rock oak acorns on the ground it looked like they were being dumped out in buckets.
How can a person from Endicott be in 3c?
I'm only 30 minutes from Great Bend, I may live in NY now But I grew up in PA and have hunted there for 35 years. I hunt both PA & NY double the deer double the fun.

Quick Reply: LACK OF ACORNS?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.