Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Pa Game Comm. Overhaul >

Pa Game Comm. Overhaul

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Pa Game Comm. Overhaul

Old 12-22-2009, 06:56 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by BTBowhunter
Thanks MS.
Sure thing.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:02 AM
Typical Buck

I belive I can remember two extensions sometime between 1989 and 1994.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:49 AM
Banned

We have discussed your suggestion and we will have to make some changes to give the Executive Director the authority to extend the season. My understanding is that we are working on having that in place for the 2010 season. I would like to have specific harvest goals that would trigger the extensions, with various options that can meet the population goals.
Yeee-ouch! I could understand the need to expand rifle season if weather were a concern etc. with a two or three day season, but currently its ALREADY 2 WEEKS that we can take antlerless deer!! Not to mention all the "other" early seasons. Why on earth would they address this NOW?

Doing this with our current crew in place at pgc and the extreme agenda would be about as wise as giving a pyromaniac the keys to a fuel tanker and a blow torch and not expecting bad results! Who was it that made the statement Spurs??

Last edited by Cornelius08; 12-22-2009 at 09:21 AM.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:54 AM
Typical Buck

Doing this with our current crew in place at pgc and the extreme agenda would be about as wise as giving a pyromaniac the keys to a fuel tanker and a blow torch and not expecting bad results! Who was it that made the statement Spurs??
In the best interest of privacy, I'll not name the individual. But rest easy.....it was a conversation regarding bear season and not deer season. I was just merely pointing out that the Executive Director doesn't have the power to extend a season without jumping through hoops first.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:42 PM
Typical Buck

I remember that doe season extension flap coming up during Vern Ross' tenure, when the legal beagles decided the Exec. Dir. didn't actually have the authority to extend a season. Thought that had been taken care of a coupla years ago?

Last doe season extension I recall prior to that flap, was in '92.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just like the guy that gets to hold the keys to the atom smasher the bird is the only, self appointed architect of a plan capable of determining if the go head for code name "doesbedead" should be implemented. No one knows if anyone knows who might think they know better than the all knowing bird .

Who knows?
Old 12-22-2009, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are a lot a ways to improve deer hunting in PA , but they all involve reducing the doe harvest or eliminating ARs. But, until the PGC changes their priorities all our ideas won't change a thing. The real question is how can we get the PGC to change their priorities and I am still waiting for someone to come up with a solution that may work.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

How will eliminating AR,s increase deer numbers?
Old 12-22-2009, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Alt said we had to kill a doe to make room for every buck saved by ARs. In 2002 ARs saved 38,000 additional buck and we killed 38,000 additional doe. While bucks may sire fawns, they don't recruit any fawns, so the PS herd in 2003 was reduced by over 38K just due to ARs.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bluebird2
While bucks may sire fawns, they don't recruit any fawns, so the PS herd in 2003 was reduced by over 38K just due to ARs.
By "recruit" do you heading off to N.Y. and bring some back or do you mean to tell me that health does can't have two or even three fawns per year?

What exactly is your definition of a PS herd?

Quick Reply: Pa Game Comm. Overhaul

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.