Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Pa Game Comm. Overhaul >

Pa Game Comm. Overhaul

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Pa Game Comm. Overhaul

Old 12-21-2009, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why do I get lumped in with those old coots?

Right off hand I can remember two years.One year there was a three foot snowstorm in Clearfield possibly 93 or 94?
Another year I think was before that when ice storms fell during two of the three day season.
Possibly another one back in the early 80's or maybe even 70's when I was hunting Potter but can't say for sure.I do know one thing,people raised h$ll whenever it was extended.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

BB,do you happen to know which year?I thought for sure it was at least two?
Old 12-21-2009, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=625882&mode=2

Didn't find any mention of it in here.I won't argue the point because I'm not 100% sure except for one year that it was extended.I 'll never forget that one.I know there was talk other years about extending it but now I'm curious.

Last edited by germain; 12-21-2009 at 05:41 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bluebird2
The entire history of deer management in PA is listed on the PGC website. All you have to do is go back a cite the times they extended the antlerless season. You can't do it because it only happened one time before it was challenged and found to be a violation of the law.

That is precisely why they went to the concurrent seasons,because they didn't need the approval of the legislature to make that change.

Not quite. the history on the website, is simply a synopsis and not very comprehensive. BTW Many parts of the website are currently not working since the new revisions were put in place.

In the meantime, here are a few links that show that title 34 provides for extensions. These are more recent that I spoke of but they do explicitly say that extensions of the antlerless seasons are provided for.

PA Bulletin, Doc. No. 00-377 The authority for the proposal of these amendments is 34 Pa.C.S. (relating to Game and ..... and antlerless deer seasons or extensions only by hunters who ... http://www.pabulletin.com/secure/dat...30-10/377.html
PA Bulletin, Doc. No. 01-939 This amendment was adopted under the authority of 34 Pa. ..... regular antlered and antlerless deer seasons or extensions only by hunters who have a valid ... http://www.pabulletin.com/secure/dat...31-22/939.html
Oh and you might want to read page 6 on this one. 1990 was one of those years where the season was extended. It wasnt always statewide. It was county by county. Perhaps it didnt happens as often in your area.

http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/vi...context=ewdcc5
Old 12-21-2009, 05:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Why do I get lumped in with those old coots?
Sorry Rich! We is what we is though!!!
Old 12-21-2009, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by germain
BB,do you happen to know which year?I thought for sure it was at least two?
No, I do not remember the year, but somewhere in my stack of stuff I have the PGN article that states the PGC does not have the authority to extend the seasons once they are set in April. the obvious reason for this is the PGC has no idea what the harvest might be until they calculate the harvest based on the report cards.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

I know it happened in 1990 for most if not all of the state and it also happened around 1976 or 77 in Forest County for sure. I remember having to miss the early part of that week for college exams and was thrilled to get the chance to go out on Saturday.

Those years you mentioned also ring a bell Rich. I'm not sure but I think 93 and 94 were northern tier counties only.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BTBowhunter
I know it happened in 1990 for most if not all of the state and it also happened around 1976 or 77 in Forest County for sure. I remember having to miss the early part of that week for college exams and was thrilled to get the chance to go out on Saturday.

Those years you mentioned also ring a bell Rich. I'm not sure but I think 93 and 94 were northern tier counties only.

That is simply pure nonsense. the season was not extended in 1990 since the harvest that year was a new record high of 245K with only 806K tags. If you are going to make up stories please check the harvest data first ,so you won't look like a fool.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bluebird2
That is simply pure nonsense. the season was not extended in 1990 since the harvest that year was a new record high of 245K with only 806K tags. If you are going to make up stories please check the harvest data first ,so you won't look like a fool.

You really should check that last link that I posted. Thats where the information came from. Page 6 refers to the 1990 extension.

The PGC can extend the 3-day AL deer harvest
season if the AL deer harvest is deemed inadequate, and there was a
1-day extension in 1990.
Was the personal attack necessary? The fact that you are mistaken on these extensions or simply dont recall is no excuse for attempting to start another flame war. Please check your fatcs.

Last edited by BTBowhunter; 12-21-2009 at 06:12 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

I too recall several times in my youth that the 2 day or 3 day season was extended.

One vividly recall it pouring rain for the two days we hunted.

Quick Reply: Pa Game Comm. Overhaul

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.