Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 PA antler restriction >

PA antler restriction

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA antler restriction

Old 08-12-2008, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: PA antler restriction

ORIGINAL: bluebird2

The USFS does not administer or enforce safety zones. Please show us where, as you claim,the USFS uses that in their criteria
I didn't claim that the USFS enforced safety zones or even cared about safety zones.But, they definitely determine if a section of woods is a developed subdivision or a contiguous stand of forest.

BTW,when did they reduce the safety zone reg. to 50 yds. for archery/
Are you asking exactly when they DID, or disputing that they did??
Old 08-12-2008, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm asking when the change was made. I think it was a few years ago ,but Im not sure.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:34 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: pahunter60

this is my last year being a youth hunter, and im not looking forward for the antler restriction. i just hunt in the rifle season and the deer are usually running and its so hard to count points. im in WMU 1A with the 4 point restriction. is there anybody else that doesnt like the antler restriction, my dad hates it and says it made him lose the interest in deer hunting.
I personally like the restriction, but I can understand where you're coming from. Last year I had a buck trotting along in rifle season and I wasn't 100% sure he was legal when he was at 40 yards broadside. I got him to stop at about 100 yards quartering away and could see he had atleast 3 on his right side. I took a much more difficult shot and ended up only wounding him. I tracked/pushed him for about a mile and chased him right to my brother who finished the deal. The deer ended up being a 5 point with a 15 inch spread and a good sized deer, not a yearling. I did see 2 yearling 4 points the same day that I could have easily got one of them. And then hunting the same spot in archery 3 weeks earlier I had 4 little yearlings of 4 points or less circleing under my treestand going crazy over my golden estrus wick and my doe bleat call. It gives me some hope that maybe one of them will be a decent 8 this year as a 2.5 year old. Or that even one of them will make it another year and be a better 3.5 year old next season where before the restriction I am not sure any of them would have made it. JMO
Old 08-17-2008, 09:18 PM
Typical Buck

i thought the subject was about antler restriction. whats all the fuss about WMU 2b. all WMU's have AR. kind of lost interest in this posting.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BigEarl

ORIGINAL: pahunter60

this is my last year being a youth hunter, and im not looking forward for the antler restriction. i just hunt in the rifle season and the deer are usually running and its so hard to count points. im in WMU 1A with the 4 point restriction. is there anybody else that doesnt like the antler restriction, my dad hates it and says it made him lose the interest in deer hunting.
I personally like the restriction, but I can understand where you're coming from. Last year I had a buck trotting along in rifle season and I wasn't 100% sure he was legal when he was at 40 yards broadside. I got him to stop at about 100 yards quartering away and could see he had atleast 3 on his right side. I took a much more difficult shot and ended up only wounding him. I tracked/pushed him for about a mile and chased him right to my brother who finished the deal. The deer ended up being a 5 point with a 15 inch spread and a good sized deer, not a yearling. I did see 2 yearling 4 points the same day that I could have easily got one of them. And then hunting the same spot in archery 3 weeks earlier I had 4 little yearlings of 4 points or less circleing under my treestand going crazy over my golden estrus wick and my doe bleat call. It gives me some hope that maybe one of them will be a decent 8 this year as a 2.5 year old. Or that even one of them will make it another year and be a better 3.5 year old next season where before the restriction I am not sure any of them would have made it. JMO

big earl, the AR is very fine idea, i like it but it MUST be tweaked.

too many hunters are just shooting at ANY buck if they have kid under 16 in gang or kids tag.

here is what SPROUL would like too see.

only at 12 yr old his first year hunting can shoot a buck under the AR rule.

this would be big help .

only a hunter 12/16 can shoot a doe,no more doe hunting for us.

now, this is in WMU2G only as our deer are very few.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:58 PM
Typical Buck

if the PGC is going to keep the AR, then all WMU should have the same number of points. not some with 4 points and some with 6 points. lets make it equal for everyone. in one of my previous posts i mentioned that rifle hunters should get the same amount of time to hunt as the bow hunters. please dont tell me to take up bow hunting. been there and done that and didnt like it. bow hunting is not for me. all im asking is to be able to hunt does after Xmas if with a rifle if one is not harvested during the rifle season. not everyone has the time or vacation to take off during the regular hunting season. i feel this would be a fair thing to do.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:39 AM
Typical Buck

Here is my take on the situation. You need more then just genetics for a big rack. You need more then just a food source to get a big rack. There are alot of things needed and a combination of all for the big racks. The anter restrictions are now providing it. For those that have been hunting for 15 years or more, think back. It was nothing that on the first day of rifle season to see 30+ deer in a day. Right? Out of those deer that you saw 99% of those deer where doe or button bucks. Now fastforward to today. In a season (Archery and Rifle) I may only see 30 - 40 deer total. But what I am seeing is a mix of about 3 - 1 doe to buck ratio. About every 3 bucks that I see, one is a shooter by state standards. Does anter restrictions work yes for those that want to see more bigger bucks, but if you want to see 30+ deer when in the woods then no antler restrictions don't.

Here is another thing to think about. What is theaverageweight of the deer that are taken now as to then? I don't have the proof right now, but I would have to say that the bucks are averaging over 140 lbs now to back then they averaged maybe 110. That to me is a sign of a healthier herd.

For the guys that are out of state with out antler restrictions, what is the herd like there? How many deer are you seeing when you go out on an average day?
Old 08-22-2008, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here is my take on the situation. You need more then just genetics for a big rack. You need more then just a food source to get a big rack. There are alot of things needed and a combination of all for the big racks. The anter restrictions are now providing it. For those that have been hunting for 15 years or more, think back. It was nothing that on the first day of rifle season to see 30+ deer in a day. Right? Out of those deer that you saw 99% of those deer where doe or button bucks. Now fastforward to today. In a season (Archery and Rifle) I may only see 30 - 40 deer total. But what I am seeing is a mix of about 3 - 1 doe to buck ratio. About every 3 bucks that I see, one is a shooter by state standards. Does anter restrictions work yes for those that want to see more bigger bucks, but if you want to see 30+ deer when in the woods then no antler restrictions don't. Here is another thing to think about. What is the average weight of the deer that are taken now as to then? I don't have the proof right now, but I would have to say that the bucks are averaging over 140 lbs now to back then they averaged maybe 110. That to me is a sign of a healthier herd. For the guys that are out of state with out antler restrictions, what is the herd like there? How many deer are you seeing when you go out on an average day?

Well, I live and hunt in NYS and NEVER in my 30 years of hunting have I seen 30+ deer in a day or even that many in an entire season. In the last 20 + season I have failed to bring home at least one deer only once, but never have I seen deer in the numbers you are talking about. Maybe you guys hunt some suburban areas where there are more deer than trees, but I can assure you that in many more rural areas of NYS and many Northeastern regions you don't have deer in such numbers. Antler restrictions can't possible help things in such areas.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mr slim, your answer from a lot of these bow divas is going to be flintlock after Christmas and inline early season. I would like to see all muzzlew loaders legal after Christmas. The don't want you to have a Xbow, they don't want you to gun hunt etc etc etc, So do what they say and bow hunt or stay out of the woods as they have earned and are the real hunters. As far as AR, I like them but agree it should be 3 or 4 consistent statewide!
Old 08-22-2008, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Since we no longer can have any kind of "seasons", just open the hunting up to anything goes year round, no limits.
Just buy a license and do what ever you want.

Quick Reply: PA antler restriction

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.