Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 broken mathews, almost fall to his death >

broken mathews, almost fall to his death

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

broken mathews, almost fall to his death

Old 01-14-2008, 06:03 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: broken mathews, almost fall to his death

I would say that most falls happen between the ground and when you are at stand height. Things like a limb breaking or a screw in step pulling out are more of a threat than falling asleep and tumbling out of a stand. This new system that protects you on the way up and down needs to be looked at by everyone. As we age I would say ladder stands make more sense. I use mostly lock on stands but have started to use climbing sticks instead of using tree steps. Having the harness with a lineman's belt helps to get the stand up. Climbing up on limbs is just a bad deal for me now.Now that it is off season for many of us I urge everyone to get a copy of the summit video that pertains to climbing safety. It could change your mind and save a life.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

here on stateland wheremost of us hunt,you cant use drill in steps.

those strap on steps are accident waiting to happen...
also the climbing stands are not what i feel i want to use in dark at 5 am..
stay with lock-on and tree climbing sticks or ladder stands..
i use nothing but ladder stands now and if i am after buck that is on move, RUT, i only use TREESUIT stand if i feel good that day..

i only use waist strap as i have been using it for 40 yrs and used to it and never had close call....

Old 01-22-2008, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have to agree with BC... I doubt there was anything wrong with the bow... Sounds like operater error
Old 01-23-2008, 12:46 AM
Typical Buck

if he woulda been shootin a Hoyt,,that would'nta happened
Old 01-27-2008, 07:32 AM
Host of Hosts

I urge everyone to get a copy of the summit video that pertains to climbing safety. It could change your mind and save a life.
I believe that all stand manufacturers are including dvds with stand purchases. Honestly it shouldn't take a video or dvd to convince someone to wear a safety device when your feet leave the ground. But as the saying goes "common sense isn't all that common anymore"

[quote][if he woulda been shootin a Hoyt,,that would'nta happened/quote]

That's almost as dumb as not wearing a safety harness

Old 01-29-2008, 05:03 PM
Typical Buck

I gave up tree stands a few years back at 61 years old I use a cover blind now.
My back is not the best just had surgery on my neck they removed 2 disc hope I can recover to hunt again
Funny story many years back in the 70's I forget to use the bow sling I drew down on a buck open palm and as the arrow left the bow the bow left mt hand mt luck it hits the ground on the corner of the limb and breaks the glass limb were the axle pin locks the cam in on the bow O WELL there went a new bow :The shaft did drop the deer and the bows hangs in the garage on a hook I never did get a new limb for it .
Old 01-29-2008, 06:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

my cousin gave up treestands also and hunts from one of those blinds.
he has heat in it and gets a buck almost every year.
he trys to put it where he can see most.

he said deer walk right by him, must be your scent stays inside those blinds..

i see them using them on tv hunting shows now.

i had VERTIGO in my ladder stand this year, the woods started to spin in circle.
i dont think i could have came down a climbing stand with my balance that bad.

i use only my ladder stands now but on cold days, i am getting one of those blinds like you /he has,nice and warm and your scent is not a problem...
Old 02-03-2008, 01:35 PM

Your friend is very lucky to have caught himself. I would rather have a broken bow than a broken back or worst. I have taken my share of falling out of trees when I was growing up. I was lucky to never break any bones. Just got stitches. Hope he learned a very important lesson to ANYWAYS WEAR A SAFETY HARNESS when in a tree stand.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:51 PM
Fork Horn

I remeber back about 5 yrs ago a guy fell out of his tree stand 25' he fell about 8:00 am or so the local GW drove by seen the truck at 6:30am drove by on his way home that afternoon .The trk was still there in the same spot he felt the hood then reached under to check the exhaust system for heat it was stone cold.So he grabbed his radio,cell and first aid and did a foot patrol .He found the guy sitting at the bottom of his tree leg broke in 3 spots he was just starting a fire the hunter changed locations and had no cell it was almost 14 hrs before he was carried out by the fire dept and it had snowed for the 3hrsthat day. He said he,ll never go up with out a harness or cell if needed.