Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Shed Hunting Question >

Shed Hunting Question

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Shed Hunting Question

Old 01-30-2008, 04:23 PM
Spike

Default RE: Shed Hunting Question

I've been searching for sheds for 32 years.Its been my experiene over the years that the majoriety of shedding occursafter march.That being said I generally start my search the day after deer season closes. Some years I find a bunch right out of the gate but more often than not in the early season I find bucks laying dead usually hit by cars.And sometimes just from old age or the rigors of the rut.
there was also a comment about the rats and squirrels eating them up.The tree rats have to find sheds just like we do so yes they do get a few,but they miss alot. I've found huge sheds that have laid in the elements for several years that werewhite and cracked but without a single gnaw mark on them.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

for person like me that hunts on stateforestland,how do you go about finding a shed.
how do you start and know where to go.

thanks,sproule.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:25 PM
Spike

I hunt 100 percent public land.I use a compass ,small pruning shears& a pair of binos.Start by identifying the food sources.Then follow the trails that run between bedding and the food sources.Check funnels,any edge cover you can find.I key on the edges that get the most sunlight.I also really like big oak flats.When you check the bedding areas keep in mind if the deer hav,nt shed yet you might bump them and never find his antlers.Once you start looking and find 1 or 2 you should start to put a pattern together.the best thing about shed hunting on public land is it is a great scouting tool.In over 30 years of shed hunting from georgia to pennsylvania shed hunting is directly responsible for most of the bucks and does I have harvested.Bottom line even if you dont find a shed you will still have learned your area better and that cant hurt.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:54 PM
Fork Horn

found one the other day, but I would guess it is actually from last years shedding
Old 01-31-2008, 07:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

i cant seem to ever find one here in WMU2G.
i could not believe the trees that blew down from last weeks wind here.

i did find a hind quarter of fawn hanging from a bush and 2 grouse laying below it.

i think someone is baiting in a coyote.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey man, I grew up in Malone about as northern as it gets for sure. The bucks up there have started to shed, my old man had been watching a few bucks and a couple of hte nicer ones have been in with spots on their heads, others I know have found a couple halves, certainly they are in the fingerlakes area as i think they are everywhare. Based on their nutrition and stress I have seen a few hold on well into feb. and even into march once but for the most part the bulk will have dropped or will drop soon. It never to soon to be out even if you don't locate one it's a good time to scout areas. The challenge you have is the lack of deer, I have seen 20-30 bucks on the properties I hunt nad have yet to find a shed this year even know I know they are there, coming from up north you will be lucky to have 20-30 within 20-30 square miles. good luck