Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

shed dog question!

Old 10-07-2006, 06:50 PM
Typical Buck

Default shed dog question!

Many of you has heard of shed dogs probably now and my puppy started out realy well with it but now when i throw the shed he just aint into it anymore he will run to it but he won't grab it and bring it back anymore, if I throw other toys he will bring them back all day long. I know I can't bring him to the woods yet and throw them and want him to find them he is'nt ready yet.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:23 PM

Default RE: shed dog question!

I'm getting a pup soon, and want to train her to shed hunt.

My buddy, who has trained a lot of dogs, says to hide the shed and let her find it. May be your next step beyond playing fetch with a shed.

He also says to work with a dog for 5 to 10 minutes max. After that the pup looses interest and you both get frustrated.

One more thing, he also says to stick with just one thing for the dog to retrive (shed, toy, dummy). Switching only confuses the dog. Plus keep family interaction free from training time.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:39 AM
Fork Horn

I'm going to be writing an article on this for a spaniel magazine (won't come out until spring).

What breed of pup do you have and how old is it? Something could have happened to sour your pup on the antler.....hard to say what, but if he's retrieving other things but will not retrieve an antler there is a problem. He could have poked himself with one of the tines, but it's hard to say.

I would lay off all retrieving with him for a week...maybe even longer. Then when you start, only use the antler. I would also take him to a different place than you have been using. Dogs are very keen on associating experiences with places (both good and bad). It's very important to train in different areas (all training....obedience, retrieving, etc.). Just because a dog obeys and does what you want it to do in the back yard doesn't mean it will in other places. That's why correcting a dog at the spot it disobeyed you (talking obedience here) is so imporant. If you call a dog to you and it runs off and you catch it 100 yards from where it disobeyed you and youreprimand it, it will not understand....you need to calmly bring the dog back to the spot where it disobeyed with you gave the command.

When you start back with antler, do no more than 3 retrieves. If he still refuses or shows no interest, your only other option is to go through the force fetch program or start with another dog...... Some dogs are better at finding shed than others. Some love it, some could care less.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:41 PM
Typical Buck

He is a australian sheopard and he is 6 months old. It is possible that he poked himself I remembered he stumbled once and yelped but has retrieved sheds since then. I think I will not play retrieve with him anymore with toys but sheds only. What is this force fetch I have never heard of it.