Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Doe Behavior

Old 11-08-2007, 04:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default Doe Behavior

I went out this morning and was sitting in one of the two spots I have on 15 acres. I was looking around and noticed a mama w/ two babies and two single does alone in different areas. One of the does was walking in the middle of a large field w/ golden rod. It had its tail up further than 90 degrees. It's my second year and I've never really seen the rut, but have read a little about it. If the tail is likeI describe is that a good indicationthe doeis in heat?Anyone ever witness this? I was trying my best to see if a buck was around, but couldn't see anything. She was walking fast and looked like she was in a hurry to get somewhere, but nothing was following her. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Doe Behavior

Its more likely the doe was flagging her fawn in the tall goldenrod.

In my experience - early in the Pre-rut like now in NY - if a doe is close to "in heat" she will have many suitors nearby. Especially early on when they are all Also the fact that here fawn was right with here means she probably hadn't been chased around alot yet.

Last weekend - a young buck was pushing a doe & fawn by my stand. The doe was not ready - maybe not even close - but the spike was hoping so. He'd chase her - and when the fawn got good and separated from the doe it would BLEAT - like the can call but loud and longer - almost in desparation to get back with the doe.

In the end they all ended up eating apples - its just a little early.

FH
Old 11-08-2007, 11:25 PM

Default RE: Doe Behavior

I second what farm hunter said. I only want to add that hunters should be careful about shooting deer that are by themselves at this time of year. Fawns are going to get seperated from their moms right now.
You want to make sure what you are shooting at is not a fawn and especially not a button buck.