Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 where does everybody hunt in new york? >

where does everybody hunt in new york?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

where does everybody hunt in new york?

Old 10-18-2007, 09:58 AM

Default RE: where does everybody hunt in new york?

I hunt in 8G in the town of Sweden. I ahve only seen one small buck since last year, but I have seen many rub lines
Old 10-18-2007, 10:45 AM

ORIGINAL: lpv77

Shoot some does and make a difference!! And also if I hear that again "if you pass on any size buck the next guy won't" Its such BS!!! I hear so many people say that. It makes it sound like you all want to pass but you dont to spite the next person. If it honestly is not what you want dont take it, its that simple. If someone else shoots its so beit. Atleast you know you tried to make a difference!!!!!
that's right. last year i passed up a 4 pt in bow season. now i have a 6pt on my property, saw him last weekend. i doubt it's a coincidence. you gotta do your part even if your neighbors don't.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:29 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: lpv77

Shoot some does and make a difference!! And also if I hear that again "if you pass on any size buck the next guy won't" Its such BS!!! I hear so many people say that. It makes it sound like you all want to pass but you dont to spite the next person. If it honestly is not what you want dont take it, its that simple. If someone else shoots its so beit. Atleast you know you tried to make a difference!!!!!

LOL I eat the meat. Fill my freezer for my wife and two sons. The next guy will shoot it in my area and that isn't BS. The group acrosse the thurway from us last yr shot 14 deer between 6 guys. I passed on 3 smaller bucks last yr and ended up with a empty freezer and those three small bucks were shot. so if it's brown it's down. We don't hunt trophy's. I HUNT B/C I LOVE TO AND I LOVE THE MEAT.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:50 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: stretchhunts

I HUNT B/C I LOVE TO AND I LOVE THE MEAT.
Thats all that matters! I just dont like how some people shoot everything and anything just to spite people. If thats not the case thats a different story.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:55 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Steve863

Shoot some does and make a difference!!
Telling everyone to shoot some does is BS also! There are numerous zones in the catskill region where doe permits are not being issued or can only be gotten by landowners or hunters with several preference points. The Adirondack has never allowed doe hunting during the regular season. Many of us would shoot them if we were allowed, but since we are not, any buck will be fair game!
This is a different case.
I know there are many people on LI that do not shoot does and you can shoot unlimited does here. its part of why the hers has such a screwed up buck to doe ratio.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well you bring up an interesting issue here. Long Island is pretty much a bow hunting area, and the big problem is that bow hunters by a very wide margin are more interested in hunting for trophies than reducing the doe population. Maybe these trophy hunters who probably follow your preferred method of letting the smaller bucks walk are the ones who need to be given a lecture on how they should hunt and why. Many of us who are not trophy hunters would gladly help reduce any doe populations that need reducing if we only had an opportunity to do so.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:23 AM

Lets get back to the topic of where we hunt and not what we hunt. We all have different views...if someone wants to pass on a buck thats small...the liklyness of it getting shot by another hunter is pretty good, especially if you are on public land. I personally shoot whatever walks in front of me unless its an obvious baby.

I hunt in 8h and 8n in Honeoye New York new Canadaguia. Lots and lots of deer and plety of public land. I shot a doe opening afternoon of the archery season on a public wildlife refuge...seen liek 17 deer and took the biggest doe....MEAT in the freezer.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:35 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt 7J and 7R Homer,Cortland and Candor
Old 10-19-2007, 03:37 PM

I hunt in the woods.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:04 PM

I Love to hunt and i will shoot anything that walks infront of me exept a fawn even though i herd they are the best tasting......I dont hunt trophy its just that ive never seen a buck!!! its pathedic but o well, does are fine with me, anybody hunt near 3M orange county??? i was just wondering if youve seen or herd any good signs around those areas because last year i didnt fill the freezer, a friend of mines just cant shoot lol j/k but he missed a HUGE doe.... yea it was a bummer but o well hopefully you all fill the freezer this year and hopefully i can.....so good luck this seaon!!