Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Has basspro ruined hunting in MD ?? >

Has basspro ruined hunting in MD ??

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Has basspro ruined hunting in MD ??

Old 09-26-2007, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Has basspro ruined hunting in MD ??

ORIGINAL: slicendice

I'm sure Rem is talking about WV, but he has his Senator Byrd to thank for that. Byrd has pulled alot of Gov't jobs into the Eastern Panhandle without taking the time to realize that the area didn't have the roads to handle the extra traffic, the schools to handle the extra kids, the police and fire and rescue to handle emergencies, ect. ect. The E.P. is a mess, but it's Byrds fault.
THANK YOU..you're right... I live near Martinsburg(life-long) and have seen the mess take off...and yes, Byrd pulled many Gov't jobs here, but 9-11 was the killer..after the plane(s) hit, they flocked up here in droves,including the Gov't. (I'm a 22 yr employee @ VA Med Ctr,and have witness Govt growth)...I have always said the Byrd should have moved the IRS-Coast Guard-ATF to other counties that NEED the jobs, but we had the interstate @ our back door,that sealed the deal. I hate it for the animals, I really do...major loss of habitat to un-necessary growth, and 90% of it was un-necessary,IMHO. I can remember looking across the river @ Ft Fredrick/CO Canal, and hearing many gobblers over there..last few years.... natha.. it's effected there too....
and if you don't think we're being invaded, I challenge you to drive up Rt259 towards Wardensville/ Corridor H and COUNT the out-state cars any given day, especially Fridays... they out # us 10-1......
Old 09-26-2007, 06:40 PM
Fork Horn

I personally don't see a Bass Pro Shops location as causing an increase in hunting. Even where I grew up in VA, the black powder seasons now see more pressure than rifle season...but it wasn't that way 10-15 years ago. It just didn't take people long to learn that you could add weeks if not a monthto your hunting season and take advantage of fewer folks in the woods (then) and during peak rut periods by getting into black powder (I did the same thing). But along with that....I think archery has grown, as has spring gobbler hunting. That....right or wrong, I attribute to the increased popularity of hunting shows on TV, andDVDs, especially the "how to" type. And in the case of turkey hunting....the hundreds of different calls on the market now that make things a lot more simple than they used to be.

Old 10-20-2007, 05:09 AM

" I attribute to the increased popularity of hunting shows on TV, andDVDs, especially the "how to" type."

I could not agree more mentoring some of these people would help if they would listenbut sometimes it dosen't. I have tried talking to a few before and they really think because they bought all the fancy gear and watched the showsthey have everything they need. The hunting shows allso make it look so easy when they squeeze weeks of scouting and hunting into a half an hour.

Technology has a part in thisas well things like inline muzzle loaders ( I have one so don't take this wrong) Have increased accuracy, pyrodex wafers, sabot slugs..... have made it easier to be sucessful.

Old 10-20-2007, 10:19 AM
bigcountry

I agree, it about marketing and technology. I bet if it was flintlock only, MD would have a 50% reduction in hunters during early and late ML. Maybe more. But now, they educate folks on a commercial on how easy it is, and how accurate they are. Constantly hearcased rifle accuracy with a scope. And now gun hunters are all over it.