Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Has basspro ruined hunting in MD ?? >

Has basspro ruined hunting in MD ??

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Has basspro ruined hunting in MD ??

Old 09-21-2007, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Has basspro ruined hunting in MD ??

Don’t forget that we all were new hunters at one point. Perhaps these new hunters never had a father or family member teach them how to hunt or what proper hunting etiquette is. We as experienced hunters should help and not criticize these new hunters.

I think it’s great that more and more people are taking up hunting. The more hunters we have the stronger our voice will be. We need to stop fighting amongst ourselves and realize we are in this fight together.

Instead of being thankful we even have public hunting areas all I hear is hunters complaining about how crowded it is.
I agree 100% with the above!
Old 09-21-2007, 12:35 PM
bigcountry

Its a double edged sword for places like MD. More hunters you have enjoying the sport, more votes, and stronger MD Sportsman Ass is. But you have to share. Less hunters, less votes, less land, and one day in a place like MD, no hunting at all. We can't win.

Old 09-21-2007, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Steve F.in MD

Just way too many people on too little public land. All the private land is either developed, in the process of getting developed, or leased by those with very deep pockets. It will never get any better in Maryland. I have watched Frederick County go from being the best place to live and hunt to just a huge suburb of Washington DC and Baltimore. I will be retiring in just over two years and, as soon as I can, I plan to relocate out of the peoples republic of Maryland.
appears as tho 50000 of your commrade from across the river decided to do that into MY home... now it's trashed....
Old 09-21-2007, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

"appears as tho 50000 of your commrade from across the river decided to do that into MY home... now it's trashed...."
[align=right]
[/align]
Uh, what commrade and what river are you talking about?
Old 09-21-2007, 09:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Rem1100

ORIGINAL: Steve F.in MD

Just way too many people on too little public land. All the private land is either developed, in the process of getting developed, or leased by those with very deep pockets. It will never get any better in Maryland. I have watched Frederick County go from being the best place to live and hunt to just a huge suburb of Washington DC and Baltimore. I will be retiring in just over two years and, as soon as I can, I plan to relocate out of the peoples republic of Maryland.
appears as tho 50000 of your commrade from across the river decided to do that into MY home... now it's trashed....
And since you don't list your state where are you talking about. Retiree's going to Pa or Va, nope don't see thathappening, WVa maybe but doughtful, Del, best of the surrounding states to Md. So where is it your talking about our 50000 commradesleaving Mdgoing?
Old 09-22-2007, 03:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think he must be in WV which is undergoing a lot of growth in the Eastern panhandle. I was born and raised in WV but had to leave to find a job. I think the entire East coast is a victim of the over development that we are seeing here in MD. Demand has driven home prices so high that people are leaving for neighboring states where the cost of housing is lower, which in turn, is driving the cost of housing in those areas up and destroying wildlife habitat and hunting areas. I guess it is karma...what goes around comes around. If you are feeling the squeeze, Rem 1100, you can take some comfort in knowing that I won't be moving to the panhandle to add to the chaos.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

The uncharitable acts of the newbies enabled by the Basspro’s here in MD are quite inconvenient. I am very thankful I don’t have to tolerate any of that. I do agree that we were all once there at that level and either someone brought us along quickly and/or we learned on our own. In that light, I think they need to be given some slack.

I can’t imagine sitting in my treestand and all the work I put into materializing my set up only to have some hunter set up mid morning unpacking store bought items consequently ruining my hunt. That would downright suck.

Again, I am sure I have made mistakes (not like that!) that have impacted others in the woods.

I don’t necessarily worry about or depend on the large influx of hunters helping support our sport. Hunting is NEVER going away here in MD!! Too much money being generated.

It’s like a health club membership with a lot of these bass pro enabled hunters. They keep selling other’s spots in their club because they know most people will never show up consistently.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:28 AM
Typical Buck

I'm sure Rem is talking about WV, but he has his Senator Byrd to thank for that. Byrd has pulled alot of Gov't jobs into the Eastern Panhandle without taking the time to realize that the area didn't have the roads to handle the extra traffic, the schools to handle the extra kids, the police and fire and rescue to handle emergencies, ect. ect. The E.P. is a mess, but it's Byrds fault.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

You guys are crazy... Md public land doesen't get that much hunting pressure... State like Missouri, Wisconsin, Ohioand Kansas get the real hunting pressure
Old 09-26-2007, 12:51 PM

More people starting the sport cannot be a bad thing. Sure there are those that either don't care or don't know any better than to do some stupid stuff in the woods. But at the same time, those people were always around. "Slob" hunters have always been around. Either way the large stores like Basspro that make it possible for more to join the sport, and increase access to kids to get into the outdoor sportsare a plus. Money spent on hunting stuff, even $69 muzzleloaders and box packages, goes towards conservation and the openning of morepublic landopportunities.And asmentioned before, if someone doesn't know any better you might as well teach 'em. I'd bet a lot of those guys would love to be betterhunters, but don't have the mentorship. You can't learn it all from watching Versus's outdoor programming.

In my experiences with public land it's all about looking at a map, doing the homework, and walking farther than the other guy. It seems like you could just go a little farther and work a little harder to get your deer. So what if you have to change the spot that's been historically yours. Just my $0.02.
-- B

Quick Reply: Has basspro ruined hunting in MD ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.