Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting ruined... >

Hunting ruined...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting ruined...

Old 11-01-2006, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hunting ruined...

I went out hunting the other day, about mid-day, and got in my stand. Perfect day for hunting, there was absolutely no wind and I had a good feeling about that evening (you know the kind I am talking about). My stand sits on the edge of a wheat field where there is a small path that leads from one field into this wheat field. I have been hunting on this wheat field for the past two years and have noticed that all but one deer and all the turkey I have seen either exit the field at this point or enter the field at this point. I am really close to another persons property is the only downside, but if all deer are crossing this point, why wouldn't you put your stand here? Anyways, as I am sitting there, the hillbillies that live on the property next to mine starts driving all around their property in their trucks and one even drives right up to me, gets out and they all stare at my for a few minutes and get back in their trucks and start peeling out and driving all around their property again. I was about ready to put an arrow in one of their tires (the truck was in range). They even got in their backhoe and started all kinds of crap with that thing, too. Needless to say my expectations of the evening went down, although I did still see three deer.

Just wondering if anyone else has had encouters like this that would like to vent about it as I have.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:27 AM

Default RE: Hunting ruined...

hate to hear that happened.... Some jerks just dont have a clue.

Better luck next time.

Good hunting

Old 11-01-2006, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

If they are deliberately messing up your hunt call the local sheriff. It is against the law in Texas to do that and they can be fined $2,000. We had someone that used to wait until opening day of bow season and then come out and shoot his rifle for target practice to ruin our hunt and drive up and down the fence line. This year he tried it and we had the chief of police hunting with us and after the hunt he went and had a talk with him. He hasn't tried to do anything since.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:31 AM

We don't tend to have quite as many hillbillys in MN, but yes there are plenty of idiots country wide. Even though I can relate with wanting to arrow a tire or even an idiot, good for you for not making more of it, as you don't know what could have occurred. Idiots are not really worth something more happening.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:31 AM
Typical Buck

Oh man, you are gonna get me going....

I've hunted this orchard for the last 10 years. You don't need permission to hunt private property in NH, but I have permission to hunt there. Well, the land has been passed on to the useless kids, the parents are still alive, and I still have permission to be there.

Last year I walk up the hill through the orchard and set up in my area, about 100 yards from the edge of the field. About half an hour later, this $%&#head comes out of the house, up the hill and starts shooting his .22 into the woods non-stop for the next hour. I was actually afraid of being shot. I could hear bullets impacting trees probably 50 yards from me. So after he is done shooting I get out of there and call fish and game.They say 'any more incidents like that call us',they said 'it's his land, and you don't know for sure if he was shootingAT you'. OK-fair enough.

The next time in there, I am walk in and butt-boytakes his truck up into the orchard doing doughnuts and honking the horn for what seemed like an hour. At one point, he drove so close to me and my buddy we could have reached out and touched the truck, could have easily run us over. Didn't even bother to call fish and game, we just don't hunt that piece like we used to...

I could bitch about this for a long time....sorry.

Old 11-01-2006, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Doesn't it feel good to just gripe about it! That's why I had to start the thread...

JeffS: Thanks for the info with the sherriff...I was unaware of that.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:08 AM
oam

Hmm - I guess I don't get what the complaint is - a landowner wason their own land doing stuff that they wanted to do?

My plan for this Sunday is to sit in a tree on my own land (100 acres) with my bow until 10am, then ride myATV all around trails I have cut myself over the past seven (7) years. The land is in NH and is not posted so the possiblilty exists that another person has put up a stand on it or near by.

Now if I noticed something in a tree while riding the ATV, stopand look, and realized it was another bow hunterI would feel bad that I ruined his/her setup. I would stop riding and go do something else- maybe go do some work with the tractor - and hope that person would come over and talk - maybe they could giveme their schedule so I don't ride the ATV on the days they are there. Depending on their gift for gab theymight evenlearn a lot more about the hunting in the area.

It will truely be a sad day when someone calls the police on me for riding my ATV or shooting a .22 on my own land.

Live free or die ! - oh except during bow season.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:22 AM
Typical Buck

Nah, it's not like that at all oam, he decides to go out and do that crazy crap as we are walking up into the orchard (the orchard is his (parents)land, where I hunt is not. I don't have a problem with anyone doing anything on their own land, but if someone is endangering MY life (shooting recklessly into the woods at nothing in particular, driving his truck at speeds in excess of 40 mph 3 feet from a person in a field) then I have a serious problem with it.

He does hunt, I noticed a couple stands in there that are new, he just doesn't bow hunt. Probably doesn't want me killing HIS deer. I've been in there once this year, he's logged a ton, just ruining an area that his parents worked so hard to maintain...just a shame. I've tried talking to him, but he won't answer the doorwhen anyone knocks and he will run inside if he notices someone approaching while he's outside (sounds touched doesn't he?) To each his own I guess, just sucks when a long term spot I've hunted since I was a kid goes away.

Old 11-01-2006, 09:22 AM

it is absolutley illegal to harrass a hunter legally intitled to hunt , or prevent him from getting the animal he is allowed to hunt , what those clowns are doing to you , I had done to me ,except it was the land owners son who didnt want me hunting his moms land , really touchy situation , he would wait till an hour before sunset and ride all over the property to make sure all the deer would be some place else , I mentioned to the landowner about the sons actions and maybe I shouldnt be hunting there . she told me to call the sheriff and report him , even she thought he was a jerk. I am still hunting this property
Old 11-01-2006, 09:24 AM
Typical Buck

Oh yeah,

Landowners like you (and I) are what makes NH great oam!!

Quick Reply: Hunting ruined...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.