Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 worried about Pa >

worried about Pa

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

worried about Pa

Old 09-04-2007, 09:56 AM

Default worried about Pa

getting all my things together for my Pa hunt coming in a few weeks when I read that the area I hunt washington county,they are finding dead deer all over because of EHD.Anyone live there and can tell me if it is affecting them seeing as many deer as they have been in the past
Old 09-04-2007, 10:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: worried about Pa

I live a couple counties over and can only go by what I read in the paper. I would guess it is fairly localized, so some areas will notice a big drop, but most won't miss a beat. Good luck that your area won't be affected.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:31 PM

"EHD is a common but sporadic disease in white-tailed deer populations of the United States, and is contracted by the bite of insects called "biting midges." In northern states, EHD usually kills the animal within five to 10 days. It is not spread from deer to deer by contact. While EHD is not infectious to humans, deer displaying severe symptoms of EHD are usually not suitable for consumption."

Here is the link to the entire press release, but hopefully the worst is over.
http://www.pasportsmenportal.com/ind...&Itemid=46
Old 09-06-2007, 10:36 PM
Fork Horn

guys at another PA site I frequent are saying you can just smell "dead" from all the deer that are dying and rotting. I also hunt Greene county so I need to take a ride and see how things look or smell in my areas
Old 09-08-2007, 02:43 PM
Typical Buck

From what I've heard, from a couple landowners I hunt on, western greene county is taking it hard. If you take a ride on some back roads, I heard the stench is really bad. I'm kinda worried myself, as I spend quite a bit of time in that part of the county in november. I need to go visit my buddie's farm that's for sure..
Old 09-09-2007, 06:56 PM
Fork Horn

im from beaver county and we are starting to see a lil bit of it, but not nearly as bad as when i was in greene county the other day, i couldnt smell the dead as ppl were saying but i def found a few dead deer on the land i hunt