Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Should I be worried? >

Should I be worried?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Should I be worried?

Old 02-25-2008, 05:43 PM

Default Should I be worried?

Followed the Speer manual for 100 grain bullet (I use Hornady SP which was not listed in the Speers book)for a 250 Savage with starting load of 33.5 grains of IMR 4350. I loaded 20 bullets but have not fired them. I just found Hodgdons reloading data on their site (which lists the Hornady SP)and it lists the starting load at 38 grains. Should I NOT use the load as is and redo them?
Old 02-25-2008, 05:55 PM

Default RE: Should I be worried?

They are fine. I would ALWAYS trust a Speer manual over a Hogdon. You will find variations between all reloading manuals simply because the test in different guns and environments.

Go shoot them.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

Your fine, my Hornady book shows starting at 32.8 up to 37.9 max loadof 4350. I would also question their starting load, Ive just checked some of my other books and 38gr is max in them all for 4350.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you get chance, open up a volume one or volume two of any older reloading manual and look at the MAX load recommendations and compare them to current volumes. Seems to be a downward trend in recommendations in direct proportion to an increase in lawsuits. Caution abounds on both sides of the fence I suppose. Following the reloading handbooks, as long as you follow safe reloading guidelines and your firearm is in good condition you'll always be safe. Did the right thing by asking though!
Old 02-25-2008, 10:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: NHBowhunter21

Followed the Speer manual for 100 grain bullet (I use Hornady SP which was not listed in the Speers book)for a 250 Savage with starting load of 33.5 grains of IMR 4350. I loaded 20 bullets but have not fired them. I just found Hodgdons reloading data on their site (which lists the Hornady SP)and it lists the starting load at 38 grains. Should I NOT use the load as is and redo them?
I just looked on the hogdgons site and it lists the starting load for H4350 at 38gr to a max of 40.5C for 100gr SP in the 250 savage.

Since you stated IMR I first looked at this data which shows only a max load with this bullet/cartridge when using IMR4350 of 38.5C.

Looks as though you may have taken or read the data from the wrong source in this case.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

My hodgdons manual lists 36gr to 38gr of imr4350 with a 100gr bullet in the 250 savage.I wouldn't be worried.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:06 PM

Thanks all. This is my first time with reloading. It is getting difficult to fine many places to find ammo for my Model 99 Savage in 250 Savage so I have decided to reload my own. I got the RBSC Rock Chucker and just loaded the first 20 while being VERY cautious. I had he Speer Reloading manual and then happened upon http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp so I double checked. I have the loads at 33.5 grains. Once again, thanks again for all of your comments and advice.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:09 PM

ORIGINAL: NHBowhunter21

Thanks all. This is my first time with reloading. It is getting difficult to fine many places to find ammo for my Model 99 Savage in 250 Savage so I have decided to reload my own. I got the RBSC Rock Chucker and just loaded the first 20 while being VERY cautious. I had he Speer Reloading manual and then happened upon http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp so I double checked. I have the loads at 33.5 grains. Once again, thanks again for all of your comments and advice.

Oop! I must be dislexic. I meant an RCBS Rock Chucker.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Lymans 48th edition doesn't list the 100gr Speer or IMR4350 but all of the powders listed for a 100gr bullet have starting loadsof 35.0 gr or under down to 30.0 grs.

My Hornady 7th edition has a starting load for their 100gr bullets using IMR4350at 34.1 gr.

My Nosler 6th edition has their 100gr bullets with IMR4350 starting at 34.0 gr.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:42 AM

NHB, if you're loading for the Savage Model 99, be sure you full length size your cases. The way that action is made it has very little "caming power" to force a case into the chamber. So if your ammo isn't sized just to suit your gun, it won't fit the chamber. Otherwise this is probably the strongest lever action there is and you got no worries. Reloading isn't hard and once you've got your confidence up, you'll go like a streak.

Quick Reply: Should I be worried?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.