Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 still need help with PA public land treestands >

still need help with PA public land treestands

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

still need help with PA public land treestands

Old 08-26-2007, 07:39 PM

Default RE: still need help with PA public land treestands

Sure, screwing those things into the treedoes a little damage, but I hunt PA and it's not like DNR officers are trapesing through the woods looking for people with screw in umbrellas or bow holders. I too have been known to trim a shooting lane or two, but never on public land...wink, wink. I think this is one of those laws written to stoppeople from abusing public game lands rather to harass responsible hunters.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tree stands that will damage the cambium layer or the layer below the outer bark of the tree are illegal. Any hangers, steps orholders that screw into and penetratethe outer layer of barkare also illegal. Marks on the outer bark from a tree stand are not a concern and most manufactured stands on the market will not penetrate the outer bark.Basically the PGC is trying to eliminatehome made stands that are constructed with 2 x 4's and nailsas permanent stands on state or public property. If you are on private land youcan do what you want if the land owner agrees.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:53 PM

if it penetrates the tree in any way......ILLEGAL.... seriously
Old 08-28-2007, 02:49 PM
Fork Horn

I emailed a DNR officer and he stated as long as the treestand doesn't penetrate the cambium it is legal. Most treestands made today are legal.The DNR is most commonly referring to permanent stands or built with screws and nails.See photo

Old 08-28-2007, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

frocb: Thats a helpful pic, thanks for posting.

As for will WCO's fine people for screw in steps, umbrellas, and bow holders...yes.

Last December I was hunting down in the Propagation Area of Pymantuning State Park and there were a couple of guys who got busted and fined for that exact thing. Granted that was a special hunt with WCOs all over the place, but they do have the authority to cite you for it and they will.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:13 AM
Typical Buck

No bark biters, steps or anything that messes up the bark. If you can fix a big peice of tire over it or something then you should be fine. But I don't recomened it. If you alter you stand without knowing what you are doing you'll wind up hurt or worse!