Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

GPS

Old 07-02-2007, 07:17 AM
Fork Horn

Default GPS

Ok men how many use a gps and what one do you use.I justed ordered a
Garmin® GPS 72 any info will be great.I have a Cobra 100 now that i use but sometimes it is hard to hit a satellite with it
Old 07-02-2007, 07:42 AM

Default RE: GPS

I have a Garmin ETREX which seems to work fine
Old 07-02-2007, 08:41 AM

I never leave home without one. I reecently got a new GPS which overlays Topo and satelite imagery. I can now see where I am at at any time either on topo of aerial photo instead of a black dot on the screen. There has been times I have been out in the woods and wanted to know where certain landmarks and buildings were realtive to my location, now I can pan and zoom just as I do on the computer at home like terra server or expert GPS. I use to own a Garmin Etrex Legend, but have recently threw it in the trash with this new technology now available. Make sure your GPS comes with WAAS.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love my etrex. It seems to be the most user friendly of all the gps that I've seen. It is valuable for hunting, out west particularly. If in a new area, I always mark the truck and then know I can always get back. The one mentioned above with topo map etc seems like a good idea too, but I always carry a map and regular compass with me anyway and can find my exact location using those tools.

Although this gps technology is great, I would never rely exclusively on the device itself in a touchy situation. I'd always have to have maps and compass as backup as something electronic can break when you're still miles and miles in the back country. I know my local deer patch well enough that I don't need one there.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:06 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-02-2007, 11:27 PM

Do any of you all do geo caches??
Old 07-03-2007, 06:44 PM
Dominant Buck

I have the Garmin Vista loaded with all the topos. Awesome piece of equipment especially when I am hunting the big woods.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:45 PM
Fork Horn

yes i just got into them they R a blast.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:32 PM
Fork Horn

I have a Garmin Etrex which is a basic unit which I have used for quite a while now and I can't imagine hunting without one. It is nice not to have to use flagging tape and/or reflective tacks which tell the world where you hunt. The signal can and does drop out in bad weather and heavy canopy. A GPS is no substitute for a compass and a map. I carry both.

HH
Old 07-03-2007, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm thinkingabout getting one as well and have a question. The particular one that I'm thinking about getting has the capability of being used as a walkie-talkie/radio, GMRS, I believe it is. They say I need a liscence from the FCC to use this feature. What's the deal with this and how much is the liscence?Is the liscense really necessary? Thanks guys, Simp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.