Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

GPS

Old 07-04-2007, 05:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: GPS

Many don't bother to get one but there should be a form in the paperwork that comes with the radio to send in to the FCC. I believe it is just a formality and everyone who applies will get the license. I have a friend who has that combo unit and IMO the radio isn't as good as the stand alone units. The good thing about them is that if 2 buddies have the same unit it shows each where the other one is. A GPS with topo maps loadedis really nice and makes it just that much more of a tool.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

I do not have one yet but ifI was to get one right now, anyone at all, I would be picking up a DeLorme Earthmate with out a doubt... They are used by police depts. and has some of the best topos you can get. Plus you can zoom down satalite images when you want to.. and easy to use..
Old 07-05-2007, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I started with a Garmin 40 some 20 years ago when they only got you to within couple of hundred feet due to selective availabilty of the signal released by the Gov. I now use Legends and $100 ETrexs. I would not go into the woods without one.
I can go into the woods when it's pitch black just using a small flashlight pointed at my feet and I can sit in my stand until it's darker than my wifes heart. Always the last guy out cause the GPS knows the way even if you might not be sure.
Only time I had any trouble was deep back in the woods and the arrow on the ETrex was all over.. After a bit of time and a deep breath I realized my new Glommitts had a Magnet that held the mitten part back away from my
fingers. That is not good!!

I have been Geocaching for years. I much prefer to plant them. I put them in places that have the average folkscursing thru mud and swamps and brambles ect...I can make them miserable as all get out. LOL. I do warn them on the website though.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:16 PM
Fork Horn

got my garmin 72 played with it a little and i love it.i did a geo on a bad day rain and alot of cloud cover my cobra could only get 1 sat.The 72 took me right to it yahooo
Old 07-06-2007, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have been Geocaching for years.
Could somebody explain this or post their favorite website?
Old 07-07-2007, 06:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Geocaching.com........If not just Google geocaching. Great off season game. Sure teaches you how to use you GPS..That should be all you need Hillbilly..There are probably 1000's of caches in WV with plenty right in your backyard..

Old 07-07-2007, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have two Garmins,a 12xl and a relatively new one that I forgot the model name of.I use them extensively and find them to be a tremendous tool.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:51 AM
Fork Horn

http://www.geocaching.com/
Old 07-07-2007, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

thanks guys.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a Garmin tears ago when they first came out. I quickly got tired of it's inability to lock up when I needed it, and it's complicated protocols. I am, however, interested in the new generation GPS. When you talk about topo map readings, I want to know if this is a map the GPS gives you for a very general location, or can you program in the USGS quadrangle maps that give you VERY precise locations, not a general area in a very general map. Anyone know the answer??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.