Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Concealed carry permit in PA >

Concealed carry permit in PA

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Concealed carry permit in PA

Old 03-14-2007, 01:10 PM

Default Concealed carry permit in PA

I just got my concealed carry permit last week and I just wanted to let people know how easy it was. They run a backround check, ask for two personal references and that's it. Once all the paperwork comes back you're done. I got mine mostly for when I go fishing, it's also nice when you go to the range you don't have to worry about your gun being locked and seperated from your ammo. As a PA resident it's your legal right so go out and get one. The more responsible gun owners that have concealed carry permits the better. I pray I'll never have to use my gun for self defense, but it's sure nice to know I have the option.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:31 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Concealed carry permit in PA

Congrats. Use it wisely, it's a great responsibility.

I've had one for many years. Prior to that, just bought a Sportsmen's Permit each yearfor each revolver, "on" my hunting license. Sometime after I'd gone to the License To Carry, theychanged the way Sportsmen's Permits were issued, (now any pistol, good for 5 years). It occured to me that there wasn't much point in owning handguns, if I couldn't actually carry one for protection most of the time. So I obtained the LTC.

There was some action last year torequire thateach Sheriff adhere to the same set of criteria in issuing LTCs, but don't think it ever went anywhere. Our Sheriff treats each application as a new one, so there are no "renewals" once the license is due to expire. A minor point of semantics, because even if he called it a renewal, the same background check is required for the new permit.

He also requires a new photo for each license (I just have mine taken at the Sheriff's office), but also laminates the license for you. I've been told that some Sheriffs don't require a photo on the permit. I like having an extra photo ID, has come in handy a time or two.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:52 PM

Wonder what they budget for replacement cameras when they know Denny is coming for a mug shot.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:24 PM
Typical Buck

Don't budget enough, if the quality of my photo is any indication. Then again, they didn't have much to work with, either.

One year when I went in to get my new license, the offices were being remodeled and they just took my picture with a hand-held camera. Five years later when I went in, joked with the girl about expecting a better photo since they had a new camera permanently set up behind the counter. When I returned aweek or solater to get my new license, told her the photo still looked awful. She said I should've sent someone else in for the picture, if I wanted a better one.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm packin too.[8D]
Old 03-14-2007, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

how long did it take?
the sherrifs dept in my county in NY told me 3-6 months, i think. maybe 6-9 months.

we need 4 character references, that msut be stamped by a public notary. Its kind of a pain, especially when im in college and never home during the week to get references notarized, but i cant wait till i get it all done and get the permit.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:17 PM
Typical Buck

If you pass the background phase and all else is in order (they also check for proper residency), takes about three to four weeks and your license is issued in PA. You must show up in person for the application and to pick up the license. There are various acceptable reasons for applying for a License To Carry,including hunting and fishing. In my county it doesn't matter what reasonyou put on your application, 'cause our Sheriff puts Self Defense on the license anyway. He's a pip.

PA became a "shall issue" state some time ago, essentially meaning theyshall issue you a concealed weapons license if you pass the background checks. NY is not a "shall issue" state, meaning one must jump through all sorts of hoops, real and imagined, in order to carry concealed. NY is not and neverhas been firearms-friendly. Doubt it ever will be. I hunt within a half mile of the NY border, but can't cross it while in possession of a handgun that I've been licensed to carry in PA for years.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

cubin,like denny mentioned it took me three weeks.The state of PA recently passed a bill to allow you with a concealed or sportsmen's permit to pack while hunting including bow.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:39 PM
Typical Buck

im packin too, and reminded me i have to renew here in the next few months.

here's a good question, ive gotten different answers from different people. if you have a concealed permit can you carry a gun thats not registered in your name??
these are the answers ive heard, "no a gun you have on you must be registered in your name" and
"yes as long as the gun is registered, but itdoesnt have to be your name"
"long as you have the permit you can carry any gun"

Old 03-14-2007, 06:52 PM

He's a pip.
I've know hat "pip" for many years now. Sat a couple times in his office talking fly fishing. Used to fish the first day out at his place.

Quick Reply: Concealed carry permit in PA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.