Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Concealed carry permit in PA >

Concealed carry permit in PA

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Concealed carry permit in PA

Old 03-14-2007, 08:05 PM

Default RE: Concealed carry permit in PA

I've had a concealed carry permit for over 25 years. And I ALWAYS have my Baretta 9mm FC in my truck or on in my belt.
It's a right and a privlidge.
My wife also has a permit and carries Taurus 910 9mm in the van.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

PA became a "shall issue" state some time ago, essentially meaning theyshall issue you a concealed weapons license if you pass the background checks. NY is not a "shall issue" state, meaning one must jump through all sorts of hoops, real and imagined, in order to carry concealed. NY is not and neverhas been firearms-friendly. Doubt it ever will be. I hunt within a half mile of the NY border, but can't cross it while in possession of a handgun that I've been licensed to carry in PA for years.
outside of NYC, in the rural counties are alot more gun friendly than you might think. Many counties including mine are "near shall-issue" and not that hard to get, it just takes time going through the process. If you live in NYC or syracuse, or other cities you better be a former cop if you want a carry license.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

i work for the sheriffs dept and issue permits. It seems all i get done doing is running background checks seems i spend everyday all day on the phone. The process is pretty easy and straight forward and I think i've only ever got one denial. Usually takes about a Month for the permit to be ready to be picked up.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:23 PM

ORIGINAL: chr103yod

I just got my concealed carry permit last week and I just wanted to let people know how easy it was. They run a backround check, ask for two personal references and that's it. Once all the paperwork comes back you're done. I got mine mostly for when I go fishing, it's also nice when you go to the range you don't have to worry about your gun being locked and seperated from your ammo. As a PA resident it's your legal right so go out and get one. The more responsible gun owners that have concealed carry permits the better. I pray I'll never have to use my gun for self defense, but it's sure nice to know I have the option.
Draw back is,your not allowed to carry it when you spot light game.
This law don't make sense. You get a background check and are all clear of crimes. Yet,they PGC don't trust you to have a spotlight and a loaded weapon with a concealed permit at the same time.. This is to funny..
Old 03-15-2007, 03:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

You can now. Spotlighting and bow hunting you can carry concealed with your permit, the law went into effect a few weeks ago.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree it was a stupid law.However,it was the legislatureand not the PGC that made it and then changed it.You can now pack heat while spotlighting as long as you have a ccp.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:21 AM
Typical Buck

Actually, the prohibition against carrying while engaged in any activity covered by the Game Code titles, was placed in there with the cooperation of the PGC (whether they'll admit it or not).It was included in the "language" when the new concealed carry regs were enacted several years ago, to specifically prohibit carry while engaged in certainhunting activities.

Some of uslobbied long and hard to ditch those restrictions, since it was my feeling that if they trusted us to be out in public with a concealed weapon, then could darn well trust us to be spotlighting or bow hunting with the same, self defense weapon.

The changes went into effect some time ago. Anyone holding a License To Carry (and LE officers), can now be in possession of a concealed handgun while engaged in any activity covered under the Game Code. That includes spotlighting,archery hunting, etc.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just a heads up on concealment permits in Pa. There are a few counties inwhich you may not carry a loaded, concealed firearm, even with the permit.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Name them?
Old 03-15-2007, 09:46 AM

ORIGINAL: Sniper151

Just a heads up on concealment permits in Pa. There are a few counties inwhich you may not carry a loaded, concealed firearm, even with the permit.

I don't know about counties but I'm pretty sure this is the way it works for Philadelphia! I could be mistaken but that is what somebody told me!!

Quick Reply: Concealed carry permit in PA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.