Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Casey Burns settles landowner lawsuit >

Casey Burns settles landowner lawsuit

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Casey Burns settles landowner lawsuit

Old 02-15-2007, 10:28 AM

Default Casey Burns settles landowner lawsuit

I read in today's paper where Casey Burns reached a settlement with the landowner whos land a hunter fired a rifle from hitting her in the head.
As a hunter it sickens me to see this. All it will lead to is more posted ground. Whom could blame the landowner for not wanting to risk someone he allowed to hunt have an accident/
Old 02-15-2007, 10:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Casey Burns settles landowner lawsuit

What paper? Google and yahoo searches turned up nothing. Do you have a link there BH?
Old 02-15-2007, 10:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

The ball was dropped big time in this case. The P.G.C. will be the big looser when no one will allow hunting on private land.

Timber company's and other large land owners willtake notice.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:46 AM

ORIGINAL: capebuffkiller

I read in today's paper where Casey Burns reached a settlement with the landowner whos land a hunter fired a rifle from hitting her in the head.
As a hunter it sickens me to see this. All it will lead to is more posted ground. Whom could blame the landowner for not wanting to risk someone he allowed to hunt have an accident/
Ridiculous at the least. Someone should have their arses kicked just for puruing this against the land owner.
I can not believe the government didn't stand up for this land owner?

What is to happen if someone accidently shot someone from the SGL or a national forest while hunting? You think they will be fined and held responsible? Not a chance in hell. But I bet they would push for a law that shotguns may only be used to hunt. kinda scary thought. This could lead to this if any accidents like this occur in the future again.
It was the hunters fault anyway. It was his responsibillity to know what was behind his target. You never squeeze that trigger when you are uncertain. I allways make sure there is atleast trees or some kind of backstop before I fire.
And would never shoot at a deer if I was way below it and it was on a hill above me without certain that bullet would stop shortly beyond that deer if I missed. Same with squirrels. I will not shoot them up in a tree with a17 hmr without a back stop behind that squirrel.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

this is definitely not good for us.

Here's the article for those who want to read it:

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/all-b1_5burns-3rfeb15,0,6135119.story

Reading it revealed what i immediately suspected. It's likely that the landowners insurance carrier decided to settle rather than fight it. It's likely that the terms of settlement will not be made public but I'd put the odds very high that the insurance company simply paid out rather than litigate any further. this is on of those unfortunate situations where an appeal wont happen due to the cost of the process. That is unfortunate because the initial ruling was clearly in violation of the law protecting landowners from liability in exactly this kind of incident.

The bad news forhunters is that this case will now be a precedent that a judge can ignore the law that has, until now, stood up well. It will now be much harder to use that law as a defense until someone successfully appeals a similar case.

It's a shame that one bonehead decides to take an irresponsible and reckless shot at a deer on the horizon and as a result, an innocent person gets injured and countless hunters and landowners will pay for the actions of that one idiot.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ttt
Old 02-16-2007, 09:44 AM

There's legislation in the works to take care of the landowner liablility when they open it up for recreational uses to the public.