Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 bradford county, pa. >

bradford county, pa.

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

bradford county, pa.

Old 02-06-2007, 04:40 PM

Default bradford county, pa.

how did everybody do in this area? bowhunting, shotgun, etc. any big deer taken in this area? or was it slow like it was in massachusetts. of course the warm weather didn't help either.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: bradford county, pa.

I had a great season in Bradford county even though i didnt kill a deer.I saw 34 total the first 2 days including 5 different bucks(2 legal) but couldnt get any shots.We started doing our drives the first saturday and second monday and got 2 nice 8 points and one real nice nine point.Overall the deer numbers were down but the size of the bucks was up.From all the people i talked to it was feast or famine depending on where you hunted.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:30 AM

I can't speak for the entire county but what I saw was very encouraging.
I also "did not" take a deer. However, I passed on several legal bucks in bow season. I hunted nearly every day of the archery season and saw deer every time I was out except on one day.
My immediate neighbors took a good number ofdoes but doe numbers certainly weren't hurt.
There were some dandy bucks taken within a 1-mile radius. Some were ones I had photographed over summer in my yard.
Local papers had more "good" buck pictures than I can recall ever seeing in past years.
I'm in S.E. Bradford, but I visit with friends who work at Columbia Crossroads (Judson's Feed Mill) in the N.W. area. They expressed having one of the best seasons ever.
This is all anecdotal but it's all I have to go on.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:42 AM

Glad you asked that CrazyHorse.
I was hoping you would have been at the Ulster seminar.
I took with me two of the Sullivan Review issues from gun season.
I really was hoping to see you and High Country there to share the "Sully" with you both. Guess the snow around Gaines might have kept Kev at home.

Anyway, back to the point. Sullivan County, as you know, is approximately 1/3rd public land. With SGL'S, SF'S, and numerous parks.

In just two issues of the the Sully, (I didn't get the final gun season issue), I think there were close to 70 individual photos, some having 2, 3, 4 and 5 bucks in them.

By far, most of them were very nice to -- great, bucks. Many, make that, "very many" of the successful hunters stated they got their bucks on state lands. Most would say something like, "on the Cahill, Kellogg, Middle Mountain, Stone mountain, Forks mountain etc -- places I know to be state lands.

In my 51 years of coming to and living in this area, I have never seen so many great buck pictures published by the Sully. That is especailly incredible when considering how many came from public lands.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Had a good year in Bradford County. I have 110 acres of property near Canton and we saw an amazing number of bucks, overall I think there were 10+ bucks passed on the property that were legal, and one nice 6 pointer taken.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:00 AM

Would that have been Hottensteins farm? Bedfords' -- Hugo corners?

I'm over on the east end just west of 87 between Dushore and Colley now, but my old stomping grounds are Forksviille, Estella, Hillsgrove area.

Rick, I'm hearing similar stories from many areas up here.
What an amazing change from 30 years ago!
Old 02-12-2007, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

We're just south of Bradford in Sullivan. A few deer were taken (bucks and does) in rifle season. We saw a lot of deer in archery but they weren't as visible when rifle rolled around. The warm weather didn't help. A few guys I know got big bucks: 13 pointer, two 10 pointers and a nice 9 pointer.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:07 PM

Yup, Lincoln Falls is right around the corner from Estella. Used to hunt up McCarty Ridge road -- Eldredsville area. SGL 12 and 36 and some open-private land around Maple Lake and again over on Bear Mountain between Estella and Forksville.
In 1958 I stayed with the "Berry" family outside of Estella. He was the magistrate in those days. Saw some stuff that magistgrates shouldn't oughta been doing.

Shunk and Wheelerville are the big city compared to those places. Knew some "browns" from there many years ago.

Old "HighCountry" said he was from Forksville. Sure wanted to jaw with him about mutual folks we just had to know but he hain't been around for a while.
Hope the cougars over there didn't chew on him.......

Barnes, did you see the Sullivan Review from hunting season?
More nice bucks in there this year than anythree years combined in the
past.

Old 02-12-2007, 01:21 PM

Lots of Browns around Shunk and around Forksville.

The only "Morgan" I can recall was an old feller who used to bring sawdust to the slaughter house where I worked, for cattle bedding.
He was quite the fellow, kind of my hero. I'm guessin he was about 76 - 78 years old at the time and had him a wife about 22 -23 years old.
He was known as"tired" Morgan. You'd ask him; "how're you and he'd always just say; "tired."
Frisky old boy he was. He used to holler and cussa lot but she didn't seem to mind it --- or him.

Old 02-12-2007, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I looked through the Sully and saw some nice bucks. The biggest ones, though, came from our mountain:

These guys are still alive:

Quick Reply: bradford county, pa.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.