Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 State Harvest Reports >

State Harvest Reports

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.
View Poll Results: A poll
I have never missed one report
42.86%
I try to always send them, but forgot a few times
16.88%
50-50
9.09%
Never Send in Cards or Reports
27.27%
My state doesn't require reporting
3.90%
I only send in DMAP reports
0%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

State Harvest Reports

Old 02-07-2007, 11:40 AM

Default RE: State Harvest Reports

I'm not getting any notice of a pm. I tried to respond to yours a few days ago and could not -- only got that "bong" noise that it makes when not functioning.
That's a good thing because if I want to read any science fiction I'll headdown to Bloomsburg to get the good stuff.[:'(]

Did I mention that I filled out my DMAP tags and sent them in last month?[&:]

Now, if you don't mind, I need to go get some shuteye so I don't fall asleep at work tonight.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:45 AM

Atta boy. Good job.
What's with "Bloomsburg?"
You're sure being cryptic here. Why not open up.
Where was this press released published?

Old 02-07-2007, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I realize the elk and bear kills are not as heavy as the deer kills.

What I am saying is....If the PGC feels that the mail in card system is good enough to get a pretty accurate count on deer kills, then why do they not trust this same method, to get a count on bear kills?

Do they feel that the mail in method of counting the bear kill would not be as accurate? They know the check station method is much better for getting an accurate count.

Yet some on here seem to feel that the mail in method is just as accurate as a check station method. Then why doesn't the PGC have mail in cards for bear?

Since this is the computer age, the most accurate method would be for hunters to register their previous year's kill when he buys his new license. If license years ran from January to January this computer method would work much better.

This would be similar to how they do it with migratory birds. You fill out a survey when you buy your stamp.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:57 PM

I think your stuck and wearing blinders wwalker. Why don;t you actually respond to all the good and logical reasons given?
Bears are less that 1% of deer kill numbers and elk are like 1/30th of 1 percent of the deer kill. I would say it is a lot easier to do infitesimal numbers -- wouldn't you?
Also,studies and research are being done on those species, that can be done more easily on whitetails from road kills and such.
You just are stuck in a rut and a good example of why people do not undestand the basics of wildlife mangement.
And here's a really far-out reason for you; PGC methods have been reviewed by a panel of outside experts and were found to be scientifically acceptable.

Old 02-07-2007, 05:05 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Windwalker7

I realize the elk and bear kills are not as heavy as the deer kills.

What I am saying is....If the PGC feels that the mail in card system is good enough to get a pretty accurate count on deer kills, then why do they not trust this same method, to get a count on bear kills?

Do they feel that the mail in method of counting the bear kill would not be as accurate? They know the check station method is much better for getting an accurate count.

Yet some on here seem to feel that the mail in method is just as accurate as a check station method. Then why doesn't the PGC have mail in cards for bear?

Since this is the computer age, the most accurate method would be for hunters to register their previous year's kill when he buys his new license. If license years ran from January to January this computer method would work much better.

This would be similar to how they do it with migratory birds. You fill out a survey when you buy your stamp.
At the bear and elk check stations there is a lot of biological data collected from the dead animal that is needed for the potential of making adjustments to the future management programs. Plus with the bears it is important that each animal be checked for tags and tattoos since that is the way the population of the species is determined. For those reasons it is desirable to have check stations for those species.

With the deer though the biological data is collected at the processors, so we don’t need check stations to gather that data. While the biological data is being collected at the processing locations the teams are also collecting the harvest data used to determine the hunter reporting rate. That reporting rate is then is used to calculate the actual deer harvest based on the report cards received verses the reporting rates for the various WMUs.

Concerning the license year I am not so sure a license year that ended with the calendar year would be a wise way to go. That would put the end of the license year in the middle of the flintlock, late archery, snowshoe hare, general small game and the furbearer seasons. Many hunters and trappers would have used their deer tags during the fall seasons and then with a new license on January 1 they would have new tags to go back out for more deer after the first of the year. Plus a lot of hunters and trappers wouldend up in trouble becasue they simplyforget to get a new license in the midle of the season.

With the license year ending with the end of June it coincides with the end of the State fiscal year and also at a time when the only things people are hunting are generally groundhogs or perhaps coyotes.

R.S.Bodenhorn

Old 02-07-2007, 09:29 PM

NJ has check stations and a calendar year.A calendar yearis clever in that ittempts you to renewyour licensebefore Jan. 1st if you want to hunt the little bit of time that is left (especially pheasants and waterfowl which often are huntable all through January).
It is clever because they get your money in Jan. instead of six months later and therefore earn extra interest income on those funds.
I can see a needy PGC switching some time in the future just to get their hands on a windfall.
I have a feeling that that is how fiscal years got started in the first place.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:38 PM
Typical Buck

The agency begins toget its biggest influx of cashafter the new license year starts and hunters begin to buy their new licenses. What difference does it make when that is...once a year is once a year, regardless of when that "year" starts.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:23 PM

Hey Kevin, welcome back.
How "manyspurs" are ya seeing in the "highcountry" these days?

Gee, you have a lot of questions to things that nigh everyone else already understands. But that drive from Forksville to Mehoopany probably got ya tired, plus of course, "working nights at P&G."

Stick around, one of the youngsters will help you with the answers.

Old 02-21-2007, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've worked alot of nights at P&G.You really had to stay awake on the ride home so you didn't hit any deer.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:00 PM
Typical Buck

Stick around, one of the youngsters will help you with the answers.

[:-]