Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Does your state practice intensive harvest? >

Does your state practice intensive harvest?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Does your state practice intensive harvest?

Old 12-16-2003, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Does your state practice intensive harvest?

Just read an article in our states Outdoor News that the sale of Intensive permits doubled. Our state is trying to reduce the herd of deer by allowing more anterless permits. In some areas you could get up to 5 deer. This was unheard of 5 years ago.

What does your state allow for harvesting?
Old 12-16-2003, 09:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Does your state practice intensive harvest?

If you apply for DMAP and qualify they set the limit on does. DMAP is Deer management assistance program. You must have a min. of 2,000 acres here to qualify. I know of 2 and I hunt one. The one I hunt gave us 75 extra doe tags this year.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

In Va. during gun season you could legally kill 3 bucks and 28 doe, if you through in black powder and bow you could kill 3 bucks and over 100 doe legally.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

For each doe does it cost you extra?

Here you have to pay either 8 or 12 dollars per doe.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not on DMAP land.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

In PA you are given the opportunity to harvest a buck with the general hunting license. As for does, that is a bit more complicated. There are three "rounds" of doe tag applications that you can apply for in all of the state provided that there are still tags available in each WMU by that particular round. However, we also have special regulation areas around Philly and Pittsburgh in which you can literally buy unlimited tags.

Myself? I was lucky enough to get three doe tags in addition to the general license this year.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:03 AM

Buckmine....

Yes, the intensive harvest permits cost $12.50 per tag. Even though they changed quite a few regs this year....the whole state isn't an intensive harvest area. There are certain areas for that. If you hunt in the correct areas, the most a person could shoot is either 5 doe or 4 doe and 1 buck per year.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:06 AM

buy a big game hunting license in Ga, get 2 bucks and 10 does, although most only shoot two bucks and no does, to many deer, not enough does getting shot
Old 12-16-2003, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

In my area of WI (one of the CWD zones)you can take as many deer per day as you want as long as it is a doe, or you shoot a doe first, then a buck. I personally don't know anyone that has taken more than 2-3 doe and maybe 2 buck throughout the entire fall seasons (bow, gun, muzzleloader) but I'm sure there are a few guys that are taking more than their share of deer.
I heard about the increase in MN. The Bemidji area was one that allowed 5 deer per hunter. The mild winters the past 5 years has cut out winter kill.
Old 12-16-2003, 06:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

In Alabama you can legally shoot over 200 per year.

Quick Reply: Does your state practice intensive harvest?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.