Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Bbearfax, 2002 ENTIRE WV STATE' S deer harvest is less than you suggest for your COUNTY. >

Bbearfax, 2002 ENTIRE WV STATE' S deer harvest is less than you suggest for your COUNTY.

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Bbearfax, 2002 ENTIRE WV STATE' S deer harvest is less than you suggest for your COUNTY.

Old 10-30-2003, 06:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Bbearfax, 2002 ENTIRE WV STATE' S deer harvest is less than you suggest for your COUNTY.

I read where you stated that in your county alone, 300,000 deer were harvested. Here is what I found from a website posting the tally for the ENTIRE STATE last year.

Friday, January 24, 2003

West Virginia sets record for deer kill

By MARK TAYLOR
OUTDOORS EDITOR

Wildlife officials in West Virginia have announced that the state' s fall deer kill was the highest ever.

Hunters in the state took 253,235 white-tailed deer last season. The total was 8 percent more than the previous high, a kill of 235,305 recorded in 1997.

The kill included 98,801 bucks during the gun season, as well as 99,187 antlerless deer during designated antlerless hunting seasons. In addition, archers killed 36,292 deer, and muzzleloader hunters took 17,081. Finally, the total kill included 3,874 deer taken during the state' s special Youth/Class Q season.

Officials did not provide buck and antlerless breakdowns for the bow, muzzleloader or youth kill numbers.

Wildlife officials were particularly pleased with the high antlerless deer kill. Like many states, West Virginia is trying to keeps its whitetail population under control and has encouraged the taking of antlerless deer.

The West Virginia kill numbers might set the tone for Virginia' s harvest totals, which will likely be released in early February. Deer kill trends in the two states are often quite similar.

Old 10-30-2003, 05:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Bbearfax, 2002 ENTIRE WV STATE' S deer harvest is less than you suggest for your COUNTY.

typo should have read 30,000 but we do kill in one year state wide what Dr Alt suggested for three years!!!!!!!!!!!! That was the point i was trying to make sorry for any confusion.
Old 10-31-2003, 07:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bbearfax, 2002 ENTIRE WV STATE' S deer harvest is less than you suggest for your COUNTY.

You make a good point. Just don' t want people misled about the actual harvest figures. I wish WV would institute some kind of restrictions so we could have bigger bucks running around. Where I own, it has become more difficult to see bucks wearing 6 or more points. I let the smaller ones walk, but fear the neighbors simply shoot them. I find small bucks dead on my property almost every year. Apparently, instead of recovering deer they shoot, the neighbor shooters probably wait in their treestands for another spike buck to shoot.
Old 10-31-2003, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bbearfax, I' m not sure what you' re trying to say here, but in PA last year we killed 517,529 deer statewide, all seasons.
Old 10-31-2003, 04:44 PM
Fork Horn

Jason N
This post was concering something on of you fellow PAer was complaning about not seeing any deer because of Dr Alt' s managment see: http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.as...mode=1&smode=1

Doug
I know what you mean it took me a long time to convince the folks around me to try QDM but it is working for us we manage nearly 25,000 no typo acres in Preston County. Last year I shot a 130 with my bow, and a nice P&Y bear. The bears are becomeing a big problem. Just yesterday I shot my first Pie Ball doe. I would like to post it but cant seam to get the file small enough.
Old 11-05-2003, 04:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bbearfax if you want to email me the pic I will scale it down and post it for you