Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 A Crack in the "Rock?" >

A Crack in the "Rock?"

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

A Crack in the "Rock?"

Old 01-28-2007, 10:56 AM

Default A Crack in the "Rock?"

This, a statement taken from the Penn Fed testimony of President Ali at the latest PGC meeting in Harrisburgh:

"...many of our members are voicing concerns over drastic, decreasing deer numbers in some areas across the state. We would ask that you continue to closely monitor harvest reports as well as on the ground reports and habitat data from all areas of the state, and make adjustments to the program where needed."

Board of Commissiones President Boop reportedly questioned Prsident Ali as to what percentage of Penn fed members felt that way and President Ali stated 30 to 40 percent.

Could it be that Pennsylvania Federation of Sportsmen Club members are having reservations about supporting the Pennsylvania Game Commission's Deer Management Program that they once steadfastly clung to?

Old 01-28-2007, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: A Crack in the "Rock?"

Well, as within any group of any size, there is rarely 100% agreement on anything. The majority carries the weight. At 30-40% maybe having reservations of the PGCDMP, sounds like 60-70% either have no comment, or are in in favor of it, as I see it.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:12 PM
Typical Buck

Well, as within any group of any size, there is rarely 100% agreement on anything

I must respectully disagree with your assessment.One groupis known to be so unified in their utter contempt for everything the PGC stands for, that I suspect their agreement rate might wellapproach 100%.

Or, if we used their common mathematical applications, it might even exceed 100%?

Old 01-28-2007, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

DennyF....After reanalyzing my statement with your interpretation, I do indeed submit my humble apology, sir.....
Old 01-28-2007, 03:00 PM

"Or, if we used their common mathematical applications, it might even exceed 100%?"

I would assume that your refering to the Pennsylvania Game commission's claim of 1.6 Million deer.

"PAwildman", you must admit that 40% is a significant figure and a considerable turn around from the previous "Stay The Course" stance of the Fed.
Old 01-28-2007, 03:20 PM
Typical Buck

Those were Mr. Boop's ownfigures, actually. He kept throwingvarious percentagesout after Rocco Alihad said many. Mr. Ali finally said it could be 30 to 40%, but no poll had been taken to arrive at an actual figure. That's a paraphased account, as I did not write it all down.

I would assume that your refering to the Pennsylvania Game commission's claim of 1.6 Million deer.

If your reading comprehension was a tad better, you'd have taken it in its proper context and wouldn't have had to assume anything. Actually, it was inreference to that same org's mathematical abilities where their membership calculations are concerned.

Old 01-28-2007, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Does the PGC claim we have 1,6 million deer or is that just the USP spin?I remember four years agothey claimed we had 1.6 million deer after they started using a new computer model that added deer in from the SRA's,which were never calculated before.Shortly after that,Dr Rosenberry admitted that he new computer model was flawed and that we did in facthave less deer.Why do you guys keep clinging to that 4 year old figure of 1.6 million deer when they said it was incorrect?
Old 01-28-2007, 04:05 PM

In fact, Mr. Ali did utter that 40% figure. I have trouble believing that the President of a major sportsmen's organization would let anyone put words in his mouth. No poll needed to be takenas Im sure Mr. Ali would certainly have a handle on those kind of figures. You should keep in mind that Penn Fed has lost a considerable number of clubs and from what I understand about 10,000 members. That obviously is a part of that 40% figure that Mr. Ali admitted to. (He doesn't strike me as a stupid man.)

"DougF" (dce) your correct about Chris Rosenberry saying that the "new computer model was flawed", but vyou should also remember that Rosenberry tried to pass the blame along to merrit Grund, who was directly under Alt. That was probably one of the main reasons Grund left. he knew the program had serious faults that Alt would not address.

And oh by the way, why didn't Rosenberry make his thoughts known when he realized the model was flawed? ...But then this thread is not about that matter, but rather what a lot of deer hunters have been saying for a long time, and that is that they're not receiving proper representation.

Now you can bash USP all you like, but the fact is that Penn Fed as well as UBP have lost many members. In fact, UBP has suffered a 25% loss. That combined with the losses of Penn Fed and the addmission of 40% disgrunteled Penn fed members is very significant. Of that there can be no doubt.

By the way, USP membership continues to climb.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:00 PM

Those were Mr. Boop's ownfigures, actually
Actually, it was Mr Boop that noted that his communications with hunters revealed that 90 percent of them were unhappy with the current deer program. I know. I was there and paying attention while you were trying to sneak peaks under Roxanne Palones seat.

fact, UBP has suffered a 25% loss.
According to figures noted by the UBP leadership, memberships in 2004 were just over the 6000 mark. This year the membership is right around 3000. A 50 percent drop in membership in most circles would be the signal to start thinking about raising the red flag.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I belong to different orgs but none mentioned in this thread.Whether the UBP lost 25% or 50% that's a big drop.Does anybody know why they are actually losing so many members and does the same hold true for the other which is I think the biggest in PA.

Quick Reply: A Crack in the "Rock?"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.