Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 A Crack in the "Rock?" >

A Crack in the "Rock?"

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

A Crack in the "Rock?"

Old 01-28-2007, 07:00 PM

Default RE: A Crack in the "Rock?"

It's really very simple "germain." NO DEER!

Some hunters noted that there seemed to be a "Late Rut." Not true. The problem was NO DEER!

Why belong to an organization that continues to exhault in the slaughter of does, the greatest producer of deer under God's Green Earth. Hunters are finally begining to see the light. Somewhat late in many areas, but they are starting to notice the dramatic decline in deer sightings. The UBP has been instrumental (and they will certainly tell you so) in increasing the length of the archery season.

Old 01-28-2007, 07:19 PM

ORIGINAL: germain

I belong to different orgs but none mentioned in this thread.Whether the UBP lost 25% or 50% that's a big drop.Does anybody know why they are actually losing so many members and does the same hold true for the other which is I think the biggest in PA.
I talked and was invited to several campfires withbowhunters at the Forksville Bowhunters Festival this past year that were ex UBP members. To a man they all said they can't support an organization that endorses the current deer management program. Most say they feel betrayed by the current UBP leadership.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:31 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-28-2007, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

And the deer wars rage on.I did alittle research on both and found things I agree and disagree with.It would be interesting to see comments from members here that belong to one or both of the orgs and get their take on the declining memberships.

Old 01-28-2007, 07:35 PM

ORIGINAL: DougE

I remember four years agothey claimed we had 1.6 million deer after they started using a new computer model that added deer in from the SRA's,which were never calculated before.Shortly after that,Dr Rosenberry admitted that he new computer model was flawed and that we did in facthave less deer.Why do you guys keep clinging to that 4 year old figure of 1.6 million deer when they said it was incorrect?
I thinkpeople cling to the number because it is the number that was used to start the deer reduction program. The sad part is when the PGC declared the old model flawed. Theyfailed to stopthe program that was started on bad data and continued with the stay the course attitude.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Turkey,I can't answer that question because I'm not a member.I personally put money back each year to pay my memberships to the orgs I do belong to which doesn't amount to much in a year's time.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:49 PM

People make claims about an organizations leadership but from what I have seen the direction of the leadership is controlled by a membership poll. Kind of like voting. Wonder how many people supply their input when asked. Bet it is very few.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:05 PM

Membership renewals are a pretty good poll--in fact, it doesn't get any better. I don't know what kind of issue polling UBP leadership does of its members, but whatever it is, itseems to beabout as accurate as the PGC's deer harvest figures.
My gun club left PFSC in part because of their support of the PGC deer policies (there were other issues too). Anybody remember the "kill the deer" conference that Audubon held a few years ago that they were a part of that got this ball rolling? It's coming back to bite them.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:42 PM
Typical Buck

Here's a response to similar questions raised about the topic CH posed, from the Exectutive Director of the PFSC:[/align][/align]Nothingwrong with admitting that we have members "concerned" about the effects the declining deer herd is having on hunters' and theirattitudes. The negative comments and fighting amongst hunters is not good for anyone....let alone the young kids whom we are trying to teacha love and respect for hunting,the outdoors and wildlife management. [/align][/align]Anyone who doesn't admit the herd has declined is a fool. But that doesn't mean we still don't support scientific wildlife management. That's what the program was all about....herd reduction.What it does mean is thatwe are acknowledging the concerns of many of our members.Members who for the most part, still support the professionals doing what is right for our wildlife resources, even if it's not what's best for hunters in the short term. But they are still concerned with where it all goes from here. [/align][/align]As to the reports about ourmembership declining.....we did lose a few clubs last year because they didn't agree with PFSC's policy of supporting scientific wildlife management. And we'll probably lose a few more this year. We lose a few clubs every year,but we also picked up a few new clubs last year, and hope to pick up a few more this year. Our overallmembership numbers have only declined slightly. We still represent over 95,000 sportsmen & women. Six years ago, we were below 50,000 members. We were up to just over 100,000 membersa little over a year ago.[/align][/align]And with a membership base of over 95,000, it would be pretty hard to put a number on what percentage the "many" encompass. We won't knowactual numbers till our convention. In some areas, we are getting reports that "many" of the clubs are concerned. In other areas, we aren't hearing any complaints at all. Most of the calls or emails I've received (a half dozen or so)from people complaining aren't even members.[/align][/align]The majority of our members understand that deer are not the only issue we have to worry about. This is going to be an extremely busy year in our legislature. With the Democrats in the majority in the House, our anti-gun legislators feel empowered and have already submitted a package of anti-gun legislation. They believe they will be able to get more bills out of committee and on the floor for votes. Rep. D. Evans has announced that he will be holding at least 6 hearings across the state on Gun Violence. The anti-hunters are forever waiting for us toslip so they can slide their agendas into the mix. We will not be able to let our guard down for one minute.[/align][/align]Will we be strong enough to counter all these attacks, or will we be too busy arguing amongst ourselves over how many deer we expect to see every time we are in thefield, or how many weshould have per square forested mile,or whether or not we ever had 1.6 million deer?[/align][/align]Melody Zullinger[/align]PFSC Exec. Director[/align]
Old 01-28-2007, 09:06 PM

That report was from Melody Zullinger, not Rocco Ali. Might as well have come from Carl Roe.

I thinkMr. Ali let the cat out of the bag when he admitted to a 40% disention within the ranks during testimony before the PGC Board of Commissioners. Melody only appears to be trying to fill the crack with mud, that just won't stick.

That little exchange is still ringing within the halls of Elmerton Ave, thanks to the effors of Commissioner (and sportsmen's friend) Tom Boop.

Quick Reply: A Crack in the "Rock?"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.