Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Southern MD Public Hunting >

Southern MD Public Hunting

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Southern MD Public Hunting

Old 12-03-2002, 09:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default Southern MD Public Hunting

To those of you who care, here's an update: my son got a deer, and so far I have not!

Last Saturday was opening day, and I picked a great spot. So good in fact, there were three deer underneath me, but with 20 minutes left before shooting hours started. That's when off in the distance I saw three flashlights bobbing through the woods in the darkness. That's when my deer ran away. Those bums!

One of the guys walked in a complete circle in the dark. I watched the flashlight make a huge circle on the hill opposite me. I flashed once with my light so he didn't get too close. I then watched him do another completed circle. It was clear that he had become disoriented. I flashed him again and he turned back the other way.

Needless to say, this interuption spoiled my chances of success that morning. On the way out, I came across this guy on a main walking trail out of the woods. He was sitting against the base of a tree pointing his shotgun straight up the trail --- at me! It was the same bonehead that messed up my morning hunt, I'm sure of it! Even today, I'm wondering if he had clicked off his safety while the gun was pointing in my direction!

I have got to find a safer place to hunt! These public hunting areas are like a combat zone on opening day. I counted no less than 15 shots within 1000 yds of my position, one of them 25 minutes before legal shooting hours. When I got up to the parking lot, no one had a deer! What are they shooting at? And are they that bad at shooting?

I repeat, I have got to find a safer place to hunt! (Failing that, I'll probably head out again anyway...I can't stop myself from hunting!)

By the way, I did read a very good article in D&DH about strategies for hunting public land. Advice like going in deeper and staying longer, and crawling into the nastiest places that other hunters aren't generally willing to go is advice that I follow. Also, I'm generally the first one into the woods in the morning, set up long before shooting hours begin.

What to do?

<font color=green>How many vegetables had to die to make your stupid salad!</font id=green>
Old 12-03-2002, 10:30 AM

Default RE: Southern MD Public Hunting

mizzo, give me a call I might be able to get you some land to hunt on. were you hunting @ elms this weekend I hunt 100 acres accross the road from bay forest and 500 acres across from 235, It will be only bow only for you. sorry about your luck this year but the season is not over yet. I got a doe opening bow and last month I nailed this one.

Evan
Archery Accessories
301-872-0110
Old 12-03-2002, 11:01 AM
Fork Horn

Wow, that's a great looking buck you have there. I'll be sure to give you a call, too.

BTW, I think we talked about the Elms around a year ago or so on this BBS. The haze is starting to lift! But I wasn't at the Elms this time. I'm not &quot;registered&quot; there. I was hunting at St. Mary's River off of Old Rolling Road. It turned out to be a very popular (but not productive) spot. Not sure how things went from the other parking areas.

<font color=green>How many vegetables had to die to make your stupid salad!</font id=green>
Old 12-03-2002, 11:07 AM
Typical Buck

Do weird stuff when you get back to the parking lot...like...undress down to flame pink undies and complain about how hot it is..carry a crybaby dollie or a barney doll...wear strange hats and or clothes...Drag a gutted decoy out and tie it on top of your car, then ask them all for cooking ideas..Tell them the last one tasted like insulation...Carry a bag load of emptie casings out of the woods with you bragging about how many shots you took without getting one...Hang Home Interiors decor on the trees around your stand...

They will eventually leave you alone..

~Will Hunt For Food~
Old 12-03-2002, 11:56 AM
Fork Horn

You know, that's some dang good advice! Especially the one about the gutted out decoy!

Old 12-03-2002, 04:45 PM
Typical Buck

Mizzou, drop me an e-mail. Me and a friend are looking for some property to hunt on with our sons in the southern md area. Maybe we can get something together for next year my new e-mail addy is [email protected]

Old 12-10-2002, 05:29 PM

Hunting in Maryland I advise you not to do the decoy. Some of these guys will think decoys are in season and start blasting them also.
Old 12-10-2002, 05:57 PM

although not is So. MD, as of 12/16 the DNR is opening up 3 tracts (almost 1,000 acres) on the eastern shore (Worcester & Dorchester Countys.

check out theDNR Press Release on the 3 tracts.
Old 12-10-2002, 08:35 PM

Is the land public access or is a permit needed?

Caroline County Hunter