Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 DEC Commissioner Nominated by Spitzer - Uh Oh >

DEC Commissioner Nominated by Spitzer - Uh Oh

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

DEC Commissioner Nominated by Spitzer - Uh Oh

Old 01-25-2007, 07:58 AM

Default DEC Commissioner Nominated by Spitzer - Uh Oh

Hot off the bat phone. This doesn't sound like a very Hunter and Angler-friendly nomination to me....

GOVERNOR ELIOT SPITZER AND LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR DAVID PATERSON ANNOUNCE
ADMINISTRATION OFFICIALS

Governor Eliot Spitzer and Lieutenant Governor David Paterson today
announced nominations for two key senior administration positions.
Alexander B. "Pete" Grannis is being nominated to serve as Commissioner of
the Department of Environmental Conservation. Mr. Grannis was first elected to the Assembly in 1974 and represents the Upper East Side of Manhattan and Roosevelt Island. He currently serves as legislator, serving as Chair of the Assembly Insurance Committee and as a member of the Assembly Ways and Means Committee.

Mr. Grannis has championed environmental issues throughout his tenure in the legislature. He was a leader in fighting for the passage of SEQRA, the
original bottle bill, and the clean-up and revitalization of the state's
brownfields. Mr. Grannis has also played a key role in the enactment of a
wide range of environmental legislation, including measures related to acid
rain, clean air and water, fluorocarbons and recycling. He chaired the
Assembly's first Subcommittee on Toxic Wastes, sponsored legislation
ensuring a worker's right to know about hazardous materials in the work
place and has worked to regulate the transport, storage and disposal of
toxic wastes. Mr. Grannis authored the state's rapid transit noise code and
has been at the forefront of the fight to have the MTA convert its polluting diesel bus fleet to clean fuels.

A nationally recognized leader in the fight to curb the health hazards
posed by smoking, Mr. Grannis authored New York's 1989 Clean Indoor Air Act (CIAA) and amendments adopted in 2003 to protect all working men and women from deadly secondhand smoke. His legislative efforts to curb smoking, including the historic CIAA and the Adolescent Tobacco Use Prevention Act have received global recongnition. Mr. Grannis*s work has been hailed by numerous public health organizations including the American Cancer Society and the New York State Association of County Health Officials.

Mr. Grannis is a three-time winner of the Legislator of the Year award from the Environmental Planning Lobby and was accorded similar honors by the Audubon Society, the Environmental Action Coalition and Environmental Advocates. He also received the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Public Service Award in recognition of his efforts in promoting the humane treatment of animals.

Mr. Grannis lives with his family in New York City. He is a graduate of
Rutgers University and the University of Virginia Law School. Prior to
entering the Assembly, Mr. Grannis practiced law in New York City and served as Compliance Counsel for the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation.

Judith Enck will be appointed as Deputy Secretary for the Environment. For the past eight years, Ms. Enck has served as a policy advisor to Attorney General Eliot Spitzer. Prior to joining the Attorney General*s office, she was a Senior Environmental Associate with the New York Public Interest Research Group (NYPIRG). She has also served as the Executive Director of the Environmental Advocates of New York, a non-profit government watchdog organization dedicated to enforcing laws that protect natural resources and safeguards public health. Ms. Enck received her B.A. from the College of St. Rose.
We had better strengthen our resolve and our ranks. Considering Spitzer's position on gun control, and this appointment to the Department of a guy that demonstrates little support for hunters, trappers and anglers (ASPCA Award, you read between the lines) and this will be a long 4 years if hunters and anglers cannot cease the infighting over inconsequential issues in favor of uniting to protect our rights and heritage.

A dark cloud is forming, and it looks like it is coming from south of the Tapanzi Bridge.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: DEC Commissioner Nominated by Spitzer - Uh Oh

a guy from the NYC in charge of state wide DEC[X(]
Old 01-25-2007, 09:28 AM

Well, I'm sure New Jersey will be happy. No more pressure from NYS DEC on managing their bear numbers through solid hunting seasons. [:@]
Old 01-25-2007, 09:48 AM
Fork Horn

This pretty much sums up what this guy is about:

VAGUE ATTEMPTS

First it was Iowa and Connecticut. Then, we wrote recently, Texas.

Now, an Assembly bill has been introduced in New York to make hunting a punishable act of animal cruelty. Do we sense a pattern across this country, similar to what has beguiled Britain?

Anti-hunting lawmakers, confirms the U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, are introducing "vague or poorly worded" animal-cruelty legislation in an effort to outlaw hunting. [B]The latest New York bill, introduced by Democratic Assembly member Alexander Grannis,[B] seeks to revise the state's definition of animal cruelty to include "killing or injuring . . . wild game and wild birds."

"The bill creates a contradiction in the law as the state code allows regulated hunting," says Tony Celebrezze, an alliance director. "But the definition of animal cruelty in the bill makes hunting illegal. If (it) becomes law, anti-hunters will have a field day ensuring that sportsmen are prosecuted on animal cruelty charges."

The New York bill mirrors legislation introduced recently in Texas. Similar bills in Iowa and Connecticut were defeated.

More info on him:

http://www.vote-smart.org/bio.php?can_id=BS022281

Great, appoint an ANTI as Commissioner of the DEC!
Old 01-25-2007, 10:34 AM

More info on the nominated DEC commissioner Grannis

http://www.ussportsmen.org/TEMPLATES/searchaction.cfm

Holy crap. We had better start making certain the NYSCC is funded and well funded. We could be in deep doodoo if not. NY Federated Clubs, I strongly urge every club support the NYSCC Buck a Member program (BAM). Membership dues wopuld increase by $1.00 per member, with 100% of that $1.00 going to help the NYSCC. They need it bad, and we are about to get into the fight for our very right to hunt, trap and fish. This is deadly serious, and makes all the other debates about AR and crossbows and the like totally pointless.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

that is just plain stupid. why on earth would he do that (I know why,Spitzer has no clue and he's a political buddy). talk about screwing up a department that is in need of some leadership and stability. who do we send emails/letters to? is this a done deal? (I know he probably has to be confirmed) is there a chance that outrage by individuals & groups will make any difference?
Old 01-25-2007, 10:46 AM
Fork Horn

I emailed Spitzer, I sugest doing the same. Also contact any sportmans clubs you may be in.Our petty little fights as said above mean nothing. We need to get together before we lose it all.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

theyre a coupla scumbags.

just as bad a s hillary for senator.

i am ASHAMED to be a new yorker. amazing that these cretins get elected.

Hillary wins president, i move.

to canada
guam
borneo
iraq
south america
anywhere but here.

are new yorkers/americans THAT stupid?

you bet!
Old 01-25-2007, 12:08 PM

ORIGINAL: moose1915

theyre a coupla scumbags.

just as bad a s hillary for senator.

i am ASHAMED to be a new yorker. amazing that these cretins get elected.

Hillary wins president, i move.

to canada
guam
borneo
iraq
south america
anywhere but here.

are new yorkers/americans THAT stupid?

you bet!
No doubt. NYers, stupid? When it comes to politics, yep, as dumb as stumps. Look at the re-election of Alan Hevesi, and you need go no farther.

Fletch NY, great job on posting the info on this guy. He is also the same clown that has made it is personal mission to ban trapping in NYS. From USSA

http://www.ussportsmen.org/TEMPLATES/searchaction.cfm

We have our Federation Meeting tonight. The entire Federation already knows the news. SHould make for a very lively meeting. I am numb right now.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:32 PM

THis one is going to get real ugly. I have received some phone calls since this announcement and it looks as though when confirmed, some political house cleaning may occur.

Oh boy, this ain't good for us hunters, trappers and anglers. We must get prepared to go on a major OFFENSIVE, as we cannot win playing defense alone. Let's use this as the biggest reason to unite and work to protect our rights as one, otherwise we will lose the fun of debating inconsequential stuff in the near future (not to mention our passions for hunting, trapping and fishing).

Quick Reply: DEC Commissioner Nominated by Spitzer - Uh Oh

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.