Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 DEC Commissioner Nominated by Spitzer - Uh Oh >

DEC Commissioner Nominated by Spitzer - Uh Oh

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

DEC Commissioner Nominated by Spitzer - Uh Oh

Old 01-30-2007, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: DEC Commissioner Nominated by Spitzer - Uh Oh

ORIGINAL: Sagittarius62

As is usually the case, there is more to the story.
http://brian.carnell.com/archives/years/2005/04/000019.html
Link takes you to an AR advocate claiming to be a hunter.

From that page:
So the bill doesn't call for prosecuting people who kill wildlife, but rather people who kill wildlife "with no justifiable purpose" with the intention of inflicting extreme pain or killing in an extremely depraved or sadistic manner.

To the highly vocal vegans, AR advocates, Peta people,etc, there is NO "justifiable purpose" and ALL killing of anaimals is depraved or sadistic!

Support of that bill indicates either a complete lack of understanding of AR's goal or support of those goals.
Either way, not a person to have in charge of the only agency with authority over NYS outdoorsmen and hunters.

Steve
Old 01-30-2007, 08:56 AM

SO what's your point? That this guy is dangerous? Grannis, that is?? If so, yes, you are correct.

You tell me, the wording of the proposed bill is as follows, from your own link:

A person is guilty of aggravated cruelty to animals when, with no justifiable purpose, he or she intentionally kills or intentionally causes serious physical injury to a companion animal, OR WILD GAME AND WILD BIRDS AS DEFINED IN SECTION 11-0103 OF THE ENVIRONMENTAL CONSERVATION LAW, with aggravated cruelty. For purposes of this section, "aggravated cruelty" shall mean conduct which: (i) is intended to cause extreme physical pain; or (ii) is done or carried out in an especially depraved or sadistic manner

So, let's put our thinking caps on for a second, shall we? Hmmm... Intended to cause extreme physical pain. Could the intention of killing an animal be viewed as extreme physical pain? You bet.Carried out in an especially depraved or sadistic manner... Hmmm, like an accidental gut shot, or use of archery equipment?

These elements I have just stated would be put forward by a lunatic ARW. Ain't no doubt or argument over that truth. We've been fighting this exact same thing for many years across the fruited plain.

So, I need you to clarify what the heck you are trying to say. Or are you a card carrying member of PETA and HSUS? I suspect the latter..
Old 01-30-2007, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

So, let's put our thinking caps on for a second, shall we? Hmmm... Intended to cause extreme physical pain. Could the intention of killing an animal be viewed as extreme physical pain? You bet. Carried out in an especially depraved or sadistic manner... Hmmm, like an accidental gut shot, or use of archery equipment?
I don't see how anybody can logically argue that killing in the context of hunting is done with the "intent" to cause "extreme physical pain". We all know that every time we release an arrow or shoot a gun at an animal the possibility exists for causing extreme pain and suffering but clearly that is not our intent. An "accidental" gut shot is by definition unintentional and therefore wouldn't qualify as violating the bill, at least not the way I read it. Would an animal rights lunatic try to distort it in that direction. Probably but it would indeed require a distortion of the bill to do it. Now I don't know this guy Grannis and he could well be the worst possible choice for hunters but I don't think it can be concluded simply on the basis of his advocating this bill. I don't think supporting this bill means you are for the goals of the animal rights lunatics any more than you can say opposing it means you are advocating cruelty to animals. Both are distortions. I think everybody is against the idea of going out with the sadistic intent to make animals suffer. I think everybody is againt the sick kids who think its funny to tie 2 cats tails together and throw them over a close line. I think we can all agree on the "intent" of the bill so how would you word it?
Old 01-30-2007, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

this guys a clown who's never been outside of his manhattan skyscraper.. he does NOT speak for me, nor does he speak for ANY hunters or fishers.

He was appointed by a man that will go down in history as ther worst govenor of NY.

the man wants "sport hunting" and trapping to end. period.

you city clowns keep voting people like this in.... christ allmighty, New York CITY voted in HILLARY CLINTON FOR SENATE..... WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!?

New york city shgould be a separate entity from the rest of new york state. i'm sick of supporting them and sick of them having a say in what goes on out here in the real world.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

ok, rant over.

discuss
Old 01-30-2007, 11:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

If I were a NY hunter right now, I'd move. Honest, guys, you might want to consider it. [&:]

I also heard that last year in 2006, NY State (for the first time in state history) actually dropped in population census(i.e. more people moved away from NY State than came in or were born). ---Yo, Hildabeast andcheesy-a$$ed Schumer... Care to explain that one or will you continue to hide this fact from the press?!?! [:@]

Butch A.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

. (oops.... double thread)
Old 01-30-2007, 12:23 PM

ORIGINAL: Sylvan

So, let's put our thinking caps on for a second, shall we? Hmmm... Intended to cause extreme physical pain. Could the intention of killing an animal be viewed as extreme physical pain? You bet. Carried out in an especially depraved or sadistic manner... Hmmm, like an accidental gut shot, or use of archery equipment?
I don't see how anybody can logically argue that killing in the context of hunting is done with the "intent" to cause "extreme physical pain". We all know that every time we release an arrow or shoot a gun at an animal the possibility exists for causing extreme pain and suffering but clearly that is not our intent. An "accidental" gut shot is by definition unintentional and therefore wouldn't qualify as violating the bill, at least not the way I read it. Would an animal rights lunatic try to distort it in that direction. Probably but it would indeed require a distortion of the bill to do it. Now I don't know this guy Grannis and he could well be the worst possible choice for hunters but I don't think it can be concluded simply on the basis of his advocating this bill. I don't think supporting this bill means you are for the goals of the animal rights lunatics any more than you can say opposing it means you are advocating cruelty to animals. Both are distortions. I think everybody is against the idea of going out with the sadistic intent to make animals suffer. I think everybody is againt the sick kids who think its funny to tie 2 cats tails together and throw them over a close line. I think we can all agree on the "intent" of the bill so how would you word it?
By removing wild game animals and wild birds from the bill. It isn't a stretch, believe me. Ever visit the PETA, ASPCAor HSUS site? Read up. Grannis is rated as a 100% (the highest rating possible) from HSUS and ASPCA. This bill is as poorly crafted as the one he and another dreampt up to ban "canned hunts" in NYS. That bill stated that all hunting on property that was fenced would be considered illegal. The wording of the law would have prohibited hunting on lands that had fenced borders, regardless of the type or age of the fence. THat would have effectively shut down hunting on just about every piece of farmland in NYS.

It may seem far-fetched, Sylvan, but it isn't. And with the Governor's ability to appoint judges in NYS Appellate Court and I think the NYS SUpreme Court (could be wrong on the SC), is it really that far-fetched?
Old 01-30-2007, 12:25 PM

I don't know this guy from Adam, but if you get that this cat is an animal rights advocate from his web site, http://www.animalrights.net/ I don't know what to say.

So, I need you to clarify what the heck you are trying to say. Or are you a card carrying member of PETA and HSUS? I suspect the latter.
PETA? HSUS? Not hardly. What I am trying to say is that there is more to the story, and if folks are going to argue about an issue maybe we should have the facts straight. Again, however a knee jerk reaction like your above post shows that the facts are not really what you want.

Old 01-30-2007, 12:50 PM

I don't know this guy from Adam, but if you get that this cat is an animal rights advocate from his web site, http://www.animalrights.net/ I don't know what to say.

So, I need you to clarify what the heck you are trying to say. Or are you a card carrying member of PETA and HSUS? I suspect the latter.
PETA? HSUS? Not hardly. What I am trying to say is that there is more to the story, and if folks are going to argue about an issue maybe we should have the facts straight. Again, however a knee jerk reaction like your above post shows that the facts are not really what you want.
Well, since I was involved in the fight the day that legislation was crafted and introduced for debate, buddy, I'll simply ignore that last response.

That's right, the day it was crafted and introduced for debate. We've had more than just a bunch of hunters sittin' around, scratching ourselves, trying to think of how this law would affect us. NO, we actually have some attorneys at our disposal, who volunteer their time to reveiw this stuff and explain what precedences could be set.

When it comes to the law and legislative proposals, I'll defer translation and opinion to an attorney rather than an outdoors writer, like myself. When the lawyers tell us what can be, I'll go with that.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:21 PM

Ok, well, although Bill A1850 has been deleted (that wonderful animal cruelty bill) it looks as though it was resubmitted under a new number, A03006.

http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A03006

This one was recently introduced, going in the avenue of Agriculture...

We currently have attorneys examining this one. It does expressly say the laws do not apply to licensed hunting and trapping activities, but, this is being reviewed nonetheless. MOre to come.

Also, we are currently looking into a couple more proposals hot off the presses, co-sponsored by Grannis, which appears will make access to hunting and fishingon Forest Lands (private) gonzo under real property law 480. I am looking into this one as I type.

Quick Reply: DEC Commissioner Nominated by Spitzer - Uh Oh

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.