Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Quick question for NY hunters..envolves AR's >

Quick question for NY hunters..envolves AR's

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Quick question for NY hunters..envolves AR's

Old 01-19-2007, 11:55 AM

Default RE: Quick question for NY hunters..envolves AR's

not anymore, you used to have to, but now you get an either sex tag bow/muzz and sometimes 1 dmp bow/mzz then 1 buck tag for firearm. this year for some reason i recieved 2 either sex tags for bow/muzz instead of 1 dmp...wierd.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:05 PM

ORIGINAL: BigJohn H

Correct me if I am wrong but don't you have to apply for another buck tag if you take one during bow season and want to take another buck during gun?
This was the case until DECALS (2002). Once DECALS was implemented, archers and ML hunters received their own season tags (deer of either sex and antlerless only, valid only during early archery and extended/ ML).

Pre-DECALS, hunters would use the regular season tag to tag an archery harvested deer. That "Buck Tag" (as this tag was valid only for antlered animals during Reg season) became a deer of either sex tag during early archery. You filled it, and if you wished to hunt during regular season, a second, special buck tag could be PURCHASED for $10.00, provided you made the purchase at a licensing agent PRIOR TO OPENING DAY OF REG SEASON.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Correct me if I am wrong but don't you have to apply for another buck tag if you take one during bow season and want to take another buck during gun?
yes you are wrong. you get a bow/muzzle tag for either sex and another bow/muzzle tag for an antlerless deer and a regular gun tag
Old 01-20-2007, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: doughboysigep

yes you are wrong. you get a bow/muzzle tag for either sex and another bow/muzzle tag for an antlerless deer and a regular gun tag
How is it someone with such strong opinions on which bucks NY hunters should be legally allowed to shoot does not understand a 4 year old major regulation change?

Steve

Old 01-20-2007, 05:54 PM

"understand a 4 year old major regulation change?" Understand? Steve could it be I haven't bow hunted in a number of years or,could it be you are trolling looking to argue with every point presented on the forum just to do so? It is obvious you disagree with which ever side I fall on and you have yet to come up with a better solution.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

My "better" solution is to manage the herds for numbers matched to habitat - not statewide, blanket programs with little or no biological reason to exist and may harm a lot of areas.

Includes educating that if you wish to see older deer, let the young walk - a concept that is growing.

Includes keeping hunter numbers stable or growing by recruitment and NOT implimenting regulations that will serve to drive out hunters not caught up in the TV, trophy mentality.

It does not include dictating threw law what any one group idea of what hunting should be and attempting to force all other to comply to make it easier for them.

How is any of this unreasonable?

Steve
Old 01-22-2007, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

very well said Steve.

I will be touching on some of that stuff in my post on the top - sort of a general hunting in NY thing for people to comment on (maybe, no one has yet?)
Old 01-22-2007, 11:36 AM

ORIGINAL: SteveBNy

My "better" solution is to manage the herds for numbers matched to habitat - not statewide, blanket programs with little or no biological reason to exist and may harm a lot of areas.

Includes educating that if you wish to see older deer, let the young walk - a concept that is growing.

Includes keeping hunter numbers stable or growing by recruitment and NOT implimenting regulations that will serve to drive out hunters not caught up in the TV, trophy mentality.

It does not include dictating threw law what any one group idea of what hunting should be and attempting to force all other to comply to make it easier for them.

How is any of this unreasonable?

Steve
Steve I do not see that it is unreasonable at all, nor do it see "earn a buck" unreasonable and, so it is not a "blanket" program it can be handed out the same way the doe tags are now in reverse but with the ARs in place. In other words if you hunt in an area where the doe population is already low you would be given a buck tag for that unit with no doe tag. So just like now when you register for your doe tags you would do so for a buck tag.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:40 AM

its is hard thing to understand (the NYS deer herd). it is so diverse from county to county, that it almost needs to be dealt with in that way. i would say that those town with a buck to doe ration greater than 5:1 could ahve an earn a buck program and amybe even a AR program..i know AR programs will lead to lots of 2.5yo 6-8's shot, but one thing people are forgetting that 2.5yo deer are already pretty hard to get, they are much smarter then a horny 1.5 yo any day, so giving them that one more year would most likely smarten tehm up a bit to last another season or two.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

John - I apologize for my sarcasm on the regulations post.

I still have seen no evidence that AR or earn a buck would serve to balance the herd to habitat.
In my opinion they only would serve those who feel hunting is only about taking a certain level of deer - the level important to them. And AR and EAB would enhance and make it easier for them.

Steve

Quick Reply: Quick question for NY hunters..envolves AR's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.