Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Declining license sales in PA, a new theory >

Declining license sales in PA, a new theory

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Declining license sales in PA, a new theory

Old 01-13-2007, 04:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Declining license sales in PA, a new theory

As of now, license sales are, thankfully, only down 1% from last year. This is good news as the drops have been larger in recent times. Lets all hope the trend is slowing down and will stop and ultimately level off or reverse itself.

We've argued the reasons. The NSSF says that lack of time to hunt is the number one reason. The USP claims it's people giving up cause there's no deer.

Well, here's another theory... After Neville pointed out that 3 out of 10 speakers at a recent event who spoke out against HR had been cited/ suspended/revoked for killing illegal deer. It got me thinking about some of the crowd, remember I said SOME, that I personally know or know of thats screaming the loudest. They were the ones who made sure their wife, non hunting brother in law, neighbor etc "bought" a license so they could help them "fill" their tag. We all know it went on for years.

Maybe, since those so called sportsmen can buy more tags, the wife no longer needs to buy a license? Given the percentage of the decline, it wouldnt take too many situations like this to make an impact on license sales. I remember a GWnear of my camp remarking that he made it a habit to check issuing agents for license sales after opening day and that he was always amazed at how many women decided to go hunting after Monday and managed to bag their buck right away. I wonder how much license sales have dropped among womenin that period after opening day and on through the gun season.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Declining license sales in PA, a new theory

Geez Bob, trouble sleeping?
You're up awful early on a Saturday morning.
This theory must keep you awake at night.
Actually, I couldn't agree with you more on this.
I know of several guys that have done the exact thing you
are talking about with the wife and "hunting". This theory holds water
because it is true that the cheaters are often the first to quit when
things become more difficult. If you can only manage to find one buck
to shoot a year, why would your non-hunter wife need to buy a license?
If you can buy as many tags as you like for does, There would be no
reason to go that route either. Your theory makes sense.
I'm getting more coffee...need a fill-up?
Old 01-13-2007, 05:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Geez Bob, trouble sleeping?
You're up awful early on a Saturday morning.
I was upbefore 5 but my buddy called and said he was sick and couldnt go huntin. Thatand the sound of the rain on the roof just went and broke my "give_a_$hitter" but I didnt feel like going back to sleep.

I may go out this afternoon but my freezer is full of does and I got a decent buck in Illinois so I'm only going out if it clears up a little.

I wonder if the PGC can track licenses sold to women after opening day before and after the big changes a few years ago. It'd sure be interesting
Old 01-13-2007, 05:20 AM

I never gave such a thing a thought, but agree wholeheartidly that it may be a contributing factor. Amazing how sharp we are at 5 in the morning ain't it?
I can tell you, from one who has always been obsessed with deer hunting, that "age" definitely figures into the decision of whether or not to continue hunting.
Even as recent as five years ago I would not be sitting here on the last day or late archery season with my tag unused; rain, snow, wind, cold.....no matter!
However, it is most likely, my tag would not have been unused because I would have hunted a lot harder than I do now and possibly tagged out by now.
I doubt I will ever quit purchasing a license. But I live in the middle of the woods and have good deer habitat and fair numbers of deer.
If I were a city dweller and had to weigh all the preparation, cost and nuisance of travel, time away from family, versus just walking out the door, I think the quit hunting option would be much more close to being considered. Those who say the Baby Boomer effect is not valid -- just don't know.

Old 01-13-2007, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

They probably could dig up the stats on this but probably wouldn't.
I think the GC would be hesitant to attack the very people that attack them because it would smear hunters as a whole, and really not accomplish anything. If the GC came out with a report like that the GC haters would be whining that the GC hates hunters and is trying to start a anti-hunting campaign.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: livbucks

They probably could dig up the stats on this but probably wouldn't.
I think the GC would be hesitant to attack the very people that attack them because it would smear hunters as a whole, and really not accomplish anything. If the GC came out with a report like that the GC haters would be whining that the GC hates hunters and is trying to start a anti-hunting campaign.
That makes sense. we will probably never know for sure. But I'll bet the idea rings true with a lot of folks. Probably rings even truer with some of the most vocal PGC haters here
Old 01-13-2007, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

You would think this stat would have shown up when bonus tags started or when the amount of anterless tags increased.Back in the day this did happen.
In the last couple of years we were ahead of the national average in losing hunters.This year it leveled off.There's alot of reasons why hunter numbers are dropping but I think the biggest factors are,loss of open land,lack of critters to hunt,economics,family obligations,etc.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Germain, just to be clear... In no way are we talking about guys like you. You have experienced a decline in deer numbers and aredoing the sportsmen like thingyourself by choosing not to shoot deer where you see the numbers are down.

I do however believe that some of the most rabid opponents of AR HR and some of the core element of the USP fall into the other category
Old 01-13-2007, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I knew where you were coming from BT but thanks anyway for explaining.
I wasn't real clear on my post maybe I can explain better.I know alot of people used to get tags for the wife,kids,grandpap,etc.Back in the day I saw or heard of this alot.But you would think if those numbers would show up it would be on the stats back when the bonus tags came out or the tags started really increasing.Reduction in license sales that is in those years.Anybody have those stats?
Old 01-13-2007, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

You have a very valid point.I know it happens down here all to often.

I'll bet the numbers up there are staggering!

Quick Reply: Declining license sales in PA, a new theory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.