Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Changing Deer Season Months >

Changing Deer Season Months

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Changing Deer Season Months

Old 12-08-2006, 05:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Changing Deer Season Months

ORIGINAL: dayna0306

It is the hunters in Pa. My friend did drives all day the first friday in washington co. he found 7 dead bucks that did not have the required 4 pts. on one side and we want these people to look for buttons.How do you change people that are that blood hungry,I just don't know.The hunters around here will kill the last doe in the woods to say they got one ,then complain about the lack of deer.
There in lies the problem, it's slob hunters. It's education, not legislation. The orange army doesn't police itself, how will it ever get better and yet Alt was the problem.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:50 PM

To many damn seaons all so. I don't agree with use buck tags for bbs.How ya figure that will help?last couple days no buck,got doe tags,brown it's down.BB down,Tag with buck tag and shoot a doe with your doe tag.Instead of useing your single doe tag on that bb.Two deer down with one buck tag and one doe tag. The one being a BB.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:15 PM
Host of Hosts

So what's the difference if you shoot 2 button bucks with your 2 doe tags and then kill a buck. Making a hunter use his buck tag for a button buck would make the hunter a little more educated and to be able to recognize a BB from a doe. It would be like a minor punishment for a mistake kill by having to forfeit your buck tag. I'd like the whole thing to be reworked. Only one deer of either sex per hunter would work for me. Or make the general license tag a buck or doe tag instead of buck only and cut the management unit tags in half.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:00 PM

ORIGINAL: TRYKONOISSEUR

So what's the difference if you shoot 2 button bucks with your 2 doe tags and then kill a buck. Making a hunter use his buck tag for a button buck would make the hunter a little more educated and to be able to recognize a BB from a doe. It would be like a minor punishment for a mistake kill by having to forfeit your buck tag. I'd like the whole thing to be reworked. Only one deer of either sex per hunter would work for me. Or make the general license tag a buck or doe tag instead of buck only and cut the management unit tags in half.
You can't tell a BB at 100yrds unless they are spawling with other deer.I was on the assumption that there would only be 1 doe tag and no bonus.You get the meat hunters out there,They drop a BB thinking it was a doe,Buck tag on and they still got there doe tag to fill.
Now for your genral tag.Now every single hunter has a doe tag.How many millions of lisense been sold each year?Everyone has a tag to kill a doe,Plus you still want to cut the WMU tags in half.Thats still 425k+ in doe tags.Thank you,you just managed to put the deer on the endangered species list in Pennsylvania in one season.You should work for the PGC to help them accomplish their goal of eliminating deer.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:14 PM
Host of Hosts

You can't tell a BB at 100yrds unless they are spawling with other deer
You sure can! A mature doe has a long nose. Fawns six to seven months old have a shorter muzzle and less muscle definition. Alot of times the bumps or buttons are visable if you don't shoot first look later.

Now for your genral tag.Now every single hunter has a doe tag.How many millions of lisense been sold each year?
Not 100% sure how many were sold, but I heard a news reporter say around 900,000 hunters took to the woods first day. So no it isn't millions. I know a few years back the numbers were about 1.1 million in Pa but still not millions. Also not EVERY hunter would kill more than 1 deer a year. Whether they shoot them for loved ones or not.

Thank you,you just managed to put the deer on the endangered species list in Pennsylvania in one season.
I think you are doing that quicker than me. Remember you kill whatever walks by. You killed 2 does oH no thats 2 button bucks thisyear. And yet you complain there's nodeer.

You should work for the PGC to help them accomplish their goal of eliminating deer.
I think your managing just fine Thank You! Why do you blame the PGC? OH thats right you Can't be responsible just because they hand out so many tags. Ever hear of self control?
Old 12-08-2006, 08:50 PM
Host of Hosts

Inbreeding wouldn't happen, nature usually regulates that.
Rob this is something I learned from a prominent deer man. Charles Alsheimer mentioned that the does need to chase the small bucks from the area before the breeding season come full swing. The does are natures way of eliminating the inbreeding. But he could be wrong I guess
Old 12-08-2006, 08:56 PM

ORIGINAL: TRYKONOISSEUR

You should work for the PGC to help them accomplish their goal of eliminating deer.
I think you are doing that quicker than me. Remember you kill whatever walks by
No,if you remember correctly I said that, I don't shoot what ever I want.If I did,I would of took a mature doe,Instead, I took twoBBs that had no affect on the deer(doe)population.Them two mature does are still around up where I hunt.I kicked them out for my daughter along with a few other deer but they didn't give her an oppurtunity to take a shot.Maybe tomorro thoughthey will get a chance.The 125 acre I hunt might have 5 to 7deer left on it.I would like to get it down to 3 deer.Guess what though.Next year it's goanna have a couple decent bucks on it.Can you figure out how this would be possible?
Old 12-08-2006, 09:15 PM
Host of Hosts

The 125 acre I hunt might have 5 to 7deer left on it.I would like to get it down to 3 deer.Guess what though.
And your complaing about the PGC managment abilities?

Guess what though.Next year it's goanna have a couple decent bucks on it.Can you figure out how this would be possible?
Hmmm... Maybe they will come in from another neighbors property. Or the 3 does you leave alive could have bunch of decent button bucks.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:31 AM

Everyone who gets a license should be able to take either? This would hurt the population of deer really fast. If they had the season before the mating came in would help some. The deer then wouldn't be stressed by hunters.This would be right on the edge of them shedding the velvet though. Another method that was tried and true,Is go back to 3 days of doe after buck season. I would have only 1 week of rifle season for buckand 2 weeks of archery and muzzle loader the same time though.This would increase the deer herd along with produce more bucks and larger bucks. I think the archers would throw a hissy fit about this though. Even allow to hunt on sundays for this idea.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: lead poisoner

You can't tell a BB at 100yrds unless they are spawling with other deer.
you've got to be kidding me right? I can tell a fawn with my naked eye at 100 yards, with todays optics, especially scopes, it's a lock.

I wouldn't shoot the fawn so......

There is a huge difference between a doe and a fawn. Do you need links to see the difference?

Quick Reply: Changing Deer Season Months

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.