Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Do you want ticks with that PA buck? >

Do you want ticks with that PA buck?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Do you want ticks with that PA buck?

Old 12-01-2006, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do you want ticks with that PA buck?

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but the subject of Lyme's disease keeps coming up.
Around 8-10 years ago, there was a series of shots available for people to innoculate them from Lyme's disease. Several of my friends and I got those shots. They evidently took the product off the market, which makes me a little nervous as to why. Nothing has rotted or fallen off me yet but I'm curious if anyone out there knows why it is currently unavailable.........
Old 12-01-2006, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt in Greene Co. Haven't seen any ticks yet.( knock on wood) I took two deer, one in archery and one in early muzzle loader and didn't see any ticks on them. i looked too, because I butcher my own. I did have a few of those Keds on me this year, though. Damn things were crawling around on my head and had a heck of a time trying to catch them.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

I believe they took the vaccination off the market Pawildman because the shot gave more people Lyme's disease then it prevented. I think if you didn't get it by now they you're in the clear. But the odds aren't good for new people getting the shot so it is gone. I think that is what happened. That is what I remember. :-)

I had one tick on me this year and my deer had like 5 or 6. Cold weather is supposed to hit tonight so hopefully tomorrow there won't be that many. :-)
Old 12-01-2006, 07:52 PM

DaveH:
I've never known the tick problem to be as bad as it it this year. I come home with ticks on me half the time anymore. It's always deer ticks crawling on me, but with my dog having lyme's disease for the 2nd time, it's really getting worrisome.
Dave, my dog had the Lyme Disease vaccination a few years ago from our vet, and low and behold, he tested positive for Lyme the following year. He seems to be clear of it now, but I always wondered if the dog vaccine actually CAUSED the disease. Saxman's post below seems to support that thought. For the past few years and into the foreseeable future, my dog's not going to get the vaccine. So far, so good!

Saxman1819:
I believe they took the vaccination off the market Pawildman because the shot gave more people Lyme's disease then it prevented. I think if you didn't get it by now they you're in the clear. But the odds aren't good for new people getting the shot so it is gone.

Old 12-01-2006, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just finished skinning the head out on my basket racked 8 point that is pictured on my "PA Public land bucks" thread. It was in the fridge for a few days. The keds were very active and I would say there were a hundred if there was one. The genuine ticks were so lethargic from the cold that they barely moved and looked almost dead. I only found a few actual ticks. I found both the big white ticks and the smaller black ticks with the red spot on them. I really didn't have much concern with them because they were very unwilling to leave the hide I was working on. A few keds did try to crawl up my arm but no big deal. I put the skinned cape in the freezer to kill all of them before I go on to fleshing and splitting it. I would say the keds were more of an annoyance to me than the ticks were. Still, I have never shot a deer with that many parasites on it. YUK!
Old 12-01-2006, 09:48 PM

The tick problem in Pa,has been a problem over the last 10 years,atleast in the central Pa. area. My spaniel had15+ ticks on her from one outing on the SGL 10 yrs ago.I get couple on me everytime I go out in the woods.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

Will somebody please provide a link to a good, scent-free, tick killing/repelling product?
sawyer repellent with premethrin, or repel brand with permanone. kills and repels ticks. but, you dont spray it on your self....you treat your clothes and it works for weeks. good stuff, ticks HATE it .
Old 12-01-2006, 09:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jf5

IsPermethrine really scentless to deer??
they claim it is, i cant prove it scientifically, but i use it LIBERALLY and got my biggest buck ever at 10 yards this year and several doe between 15-20 yds, and they were 100% relaxed and unafraid. i've had deer all around me since ive been using this stuff, wind blowin at em , etc.... and no problems. thats just my personal observation
Old 12-01-2006, 10:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

also guys, dont be lulled into thinking cold weather kills the ticks off, they will just slow down a bit. i get them all through rabbit and coyote hunting, even when it's 20 degrees out. they seem to be worse when i hunt low lying , sandy soil areas along the hudson river valley.

don't blow it off, get checked when you get bit! i was never sicker in my life, and for weeks!!
and dont forget about the "new " tick were seeing now the "lone star tick" , named for the white dot on its back.... supposedly faster , more agressive and carry OTHER diseases, ALONG with lyme....i've been hunting for 20 plus years, never HEARD of a tick untill about 7 years ago, what gives?