Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 pretty poor hunting >

pretty poor hunting

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

pretty poor hunting

Old 11-26-2006, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default pretty poor hunting

It's actually been down right terrible. After seeing several deer durring bow season (nothing big) and several during the opening weekend (my dad and I both saw 8-10 deer), it has gone dead. Hunted Thurs. am, Fri., Sat., & Sun. am and saw 1 deer (dad saw only one also). There has been some shooting around us. The deer have just moved out and haven't been pushed back in. The weather hasn't helped much either. It was "perfect" (cold, however no snow) opening weekend, but it's been rather warm (especially yesterday & definitely today - 60 degrees right now!) Now I'm not going to start pointing fingers and complaining about the lack of deer - they are there and in the area, just not in our immediate area. Hopefully things will settle down, snow will fly, and the deer will be hangin'. (looks like the temps are going to be high this week witha big drop for Friday)
Old 11-26-2006, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: pretty poor hunting

all my deer are complelty nocturnal, i know there in the area, just not during the light [:'(]
Old 11-26-2006, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

last weekend i saw 3 bucks in two days and i was really looking forward to this past few days off from school. I hunted every monring tuesday-saturday, and a couple evening hunts that i could make. i saw 3 does the entire time. 2 of which were just off the road as i walked towards my spot one morning, little scrawny ones, and one was running full speed too far away. and that was it. The deer in both areas i hunt just plain disapeared.

my plan was ot get a deer early to let off some of the pressure and have time to butcher it this week, instead i spent every possible minute of my break in the woods, in bed, or eating turkey. and i got nothing. One more weekend for me(up north), last chance, or i will be eating a tag this winter.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:24 PM
Fork Horn

Very poor here in 6R. I have been spending alot of time in the woods with nothing to show for it (my wife keeps reminding me!). I hunted the last 6 days and have managed to see mostly doe. I did see two bucks together on Tuesday but did not havea clear shot. I have been seeing sign (tracks, droppings) but minimal "encounters". We still have DMP's but with the lack of deer, Im reluctant to even take adoe for fear of decreasing the heard on the 400+ acres that I hunt further.

My nephew and I were hunting yesterday afternoon and he saw a small 3 pt that he decided to pass on. I would have thought with two mild winters, we would have more deer. This weekend I didnt even see a deer!
Im sure the weather has something to do with it however, I feel they need to cut the DMP's way back for a couple of years and let the heard (at least in this area) become strong again.

We still have time to take a buck but it is gettting hard to stay focused when you hardly see a deer. GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!

MIKE

Old 11-26-2006, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

talked with my buddy - seems his group had better luck

they put on a drive and one guy got a nice 10 pointer and his brother got a huge 12 pointer (just had it weighed - 237# - that is dressed!!!!!!!). I'll post a pic if I can get it. They also had several doe and a 4 & 6 point that they flushed. Wish we could do that where I hunt - not enough hunters, "bigger" woods, posted land, etc. make it practcally impossible (we do small pushes to try and get deer moving).