Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Deer cannot see orange. >

Deer cannot see orange.

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Deer cannot see orange.

Old 11-23-2006, 07:52 PM

Default RE: Deer cannot see orange.

The number of Rods and Cones in the eyes of all animals, including humans, determines what or how that animal sees. Deer are a nocturnal animal which requires specialized sight, color is not part of this specialty. For myself, Ive had deer under ten feet from me on the ground while wearing orange and they had no clue I was there and I was in plain sight. As for needing more than one sense to spook? Thats a tough call, I tend to believe scent maybe the only single scense that may do it alone. Ive had them see me and not spook, Ive had them hear me and not spook, but every time they have smelled me they spooked.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:07 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: WoodsRat

The number of Rods and Cones in the eyes of all animals, including humans, determines what or how that animal sees. Deer are a nocturnal animal which requires specialized sight, color is not part of this specialty. For myself, Ive had deer under ten feet from me on the ground while wearing orange and they had no clue I was there and I was in plain sight. As for needing more than one sense to spook? Thats a tough call, I tend to believe scent maybe the only single scense that may do it alone. Ive had them see me and not spook, Ive had them hear me and not spook, but every time they have smelled me they spooked.

I agree 100%, Woodsrat.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:20 AM
Spike

IF deer need 2 senses to spook then please explain. When your in your stand motionless and a deer comes in.Gets wiff of your scent the deer...pauses.. takes a few steps stiff legged... pauses stomps there leg and begins to blow and seconds later is gone. They did see you or hear you only smelt you to spook. Or try this one you walk to your stand. Deer come in from were you don'texpect they get to your footsteps maybe 60 yards away wind in your favor. Again they don't see you, hear you, or smell you only your steps. The same happens the deerpause begin to blow a few times and turn back where they came from. Please explain this to me.

Don't kid your self they only need 1 sense. If they sense danger wether its hear, see, or smell there out of there. There instinct is survival.

Old 11-25-2006, 01:24 PM
Fork Horn

Obvioulsy I am fighting a losing battle here. We all have our differences on how many senses they need to have to be spooked or whether they can see orange or not. I have never had a deer come in and not see me take a wiff and run away. Usually they look right at me after the smell me. The look in the direction the smell is coming from. I also havent had them run away from smelling my footprints. I have had deer walk right in my footprints(when we had snow) and follow them. Like also pointed out before it also has to do with the pressure that they are under. Deer arent gonna be as spooky in the beginning of small game as they are in the second week of deer season. And with the latter of the two they spook at a chipmunk fart. Good luck to all those venturing into the woods.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:43 PM

ORIGINAL: aldo88

Deer need to have 2 out of3 senses to be spooked. They either have to hear and see, see and smell or hear and smell something before they spook. I have been spotted wearing camo and not been spotted wearing orange, but if the wind is blowing at them and I move, they are gone. If I step on a stick and they see me, gone. But if there is only one of those sense used, they will stick around until another one spooks them away or they just continue what they were doing.
If a deer spots you moving towards them though they can't wind you or hear you they will bolt. If you are sitting still and they wind you,They will look for movement then bolt most of the time. I have seen them wind me and look for me and just run about 15 yrds away and stopto see if they can spot me.Some deer play that head jerk game to catch you moving.All deer act differently.They are very curious animals though.If there is a different smell in their enviroment,They will investigate that smell. Wear after shave lotion out,Deer will investigate that new smell when there is no hunting pressure on them.Guaranteed.All deer act differently.But as you said about two senses,More times than less they will look for the source of the smell or noise. I don't believe orange is any less affected than camo my self.I just think it's in our minds not to look like dorks with blaze orange outfits on.We do look quite ridiculous don't we?But I would rather look ridiculous than dead though.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:10 AM
Typical Buck

I've found that time right at dusk deer do not see as well. Maybe its just coincidence but for fun have walked right at does with wind in my favor. They at times seem more curious than spooked. Maybe an isolated case or i got blind deer around here any body else noticed this?
Old 11-29-2006, 07:32 AM
Fork Horn

Take 2 hunters. One in all camo and the other with orange on. Get a color blind guy and see who he can find. The guy in orange will be found