Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Deer cannot see orange. >

Deer cannot see orange.

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Deer cannot see orange.

Old 11-21-2006, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Deer cannot see orange.

Just read the post where some were saying camo was worn during gun season. My stand is 16 feet high and very open. I am located at deer central. They come from all directions. I have only twice been detected by deer in 12 years and they did not spook because I froze when they eyed me. Its all in how much you move. Just ask my brother and nephews. They do not see deer as often as I do and they tell me frequently that they get spotted by deer. Move your head and torso like an owl and do it slowly.

Mike in MN
Old 11-21-2006, 08:58 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Deer cannot see orange.

They can to.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

If they can see it then why do I not get spotted? If I was walking through the woods and saw Orange up in a tree I would notice it. Just two weeks ago I was looking one direction and then I look 180 and there is a fawn. I freeze. Then there is a second fawn in front of the first and this is 20 yards away. Behind those two is the doe and I did not expect the doe to se me because of a fallen tree.

Second example. I use the "can" and a doe beelines it straight to me. This stand is my bowhunting stand and only 12 feet of the ground. Again this stand is out in the open. Nothing covering the sides of the stand. She parks herself directly below me. She walks 10 yards further and turns around. Not once detected. When she turned around she could have easily seen me. Most times when I no I am not going to shoot I lean right into the tree to keep me motionless.

I will never buy carbon suits. I wear camo when I bowhunt. Alll I do is shower with non scented soap and wash my clothes in non scented. I do not spray when out in the field, though I may start so I can spray my boots.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:08 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-21-2006, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

cma your point is not understood?

Old 11-21-2006, 03:13 PM

they say that deer cannot see orange but Can see the ultraviolet light that is put out by it. Basically they can see the light bouncing off it.

Why do you spot more deer than your buddys? you answered it yourself, because you dont move. If you are still and they see you then they really don't know what you are, so they go on with their business, if you move, now your a threat!
Old 11-21-2006, 03:44 PM
Typical Buck

I've heard this UV foolishness for years, but I've never seen anything to verify it with science.

Most animals, deer included, don't see in black and white like you and I would see watchinga B&W television - it's more like nearly solid black shapes as I understand it, which is why movement is the much bigger thing in the animal world versus actual shapes or anything else.

There simply is no scientific evidence to show that deer can see BO more than any other color.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:45 PM
Fork Horn

Deer need to have 2 out of3 senses to be spooked. They either have to hear and see, see and smell or hear and smell something before they spook. I have been spotted wearing camo and not been spotted wearing orange, but if the wind is blowing at them and I move, they are gone. If I step on a stick and they see me, gone. But if there is only one of those sense used, they will stick around until another one spooks them away or they just continue what they were doing.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:16 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-21-2006, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Deer need to have 2 out of3 senses to be spooked. They either have to hear and see, see and smell or hear and smell something before they spook.
excuse me if i don't agree, at all.

if a deer smells you and doesnt like it, he isnt going to wait around to see you move. maybe once or twice he will, but dont count on it. same with sight, if they see you move, they dont need to smell or hear you to spook.

Quick Reply: Deer cannot see orange.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.