Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 southern NYers weeks 2 !! >

southern NYers weeks 2 !!

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

southern NYers weeks 2 !!

Old 10-20-2006, 05:23 PM

Default southern NYers weeks 2 !!

i hope u all have a good weekend .. good luck well week to starts .

Old 10-23-2006, 04:49 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: southern NYers weeks 2 !!

I wasn't expecting much this weeeknd because I took my 10 y/o son to camp Sat afternoon. We hunted in a ground blind until dark and we did not see anything. Of course, like any 10 y/o, he could not sit still. He was loking everywhere, using binoculars and figuring there will be a deer in 10 minutes. Sunday, I let him sleep in and I went to my tree stand until 10. I saw 3 does. Once he woke up, we went back to the groung blind and hunted for a couple of hoursuntil he got bored. We did not see anything but he had a good time.

Maybe next weekend!
Old 10-23-2006, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

NyBow good job on taking your son out. I've been taking mine out with me since age 3. I even started mine on those little plastic bow jobbers with suction cupped arrows. Then I moved them up to Bear wheeled fiberglas bows. Now my oldest is 15, and he's been my main hunting partner this yr. He's in love with hunting.
I know what your going through trying to keep your son interested, and patient. I gave mine grunt calls, can bleats, dressed them up like daddy in full camo. I'd point out different things in the woods. Sometimes all it took was a chipmunk or red squirrel to keep them interested. We saw deer or turkeys only a few times, but those times were enough. Kids are figgity, and tough to keep quiet. But hang in there, you'll find its more than worth it down the road. You'll have a fine hunting partner in yrs to come, and you'll look more forward to your boy getting a deer, than yourself.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:21 PM
Typical Buck

weather sucks down here, what else is new????
Old 10-24-2006, 07:57 PM

i went out on sat spooked 2 dose walking trew the feild on my way to my blind. i sat there intill 10:30 and seen a big button buck . a liitle closer i would of smoked um and put it on my doe tag because thay were small buttons i went out that evening and see a small buck ...sunday went to the bills game . what a wast, but it rained anyway so i would of not went out ... but tonight i seen 2 small bucks and 1 doe but no shots .
Old 10-25-2006, 06:13 AM
Spike

New guy here. I was out this past weekend with three other guys and between all of us on sat. morning , one doe! going again this weekend mabe more action or movement. Have any southern NYs seen many scrapes yet? Not much where we hunt.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:49 PM
cas

This was a lousy past few days for me in 4F. Saw two coyotes on Saturday and two yearling does on Sunday. Just got cold, wet and bored Mon & Tues.

Took a "what the heck" shot at one of the 'yotes, while it was trotting straight away. Windage was dead one, but I was about ten feet short. Ended up being 60+ yards. I THOUGHT my sight was set on 30, but it turned out it was on 20, so that didn't help. Not bad for a hold over S-w-a-g, with the draw and release all in one motion. The coyotes were going crazy later that night, howling like mad and running in a pack not for from the camp. Kinda creepy.

Other than the two little does feeding past me at 60-70 yards, I saw nothing. They were an indifferent little pair. I couldn't even get them to look up. Grunt tube, bleat cans, large and small.. even whistled a turkey Kee-Kee run to try and get them to even LOOK my way... they didn't care.