Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Southwest PA gamelands >

Southwest PA gamelands

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Southwest PA gamelands

Old 08-22-2006, 10:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default Southwest PA gamelands

Anyone hunt any state gamelands in SW PA? I'll be giving SGL 189 in Beaver Co. a try this year. Haven't heard anything about it, but it's the closest SGL to my new house. Might try hunting Raccoon park too.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Southwest PA gamelands

I've never hunted that one. There is one just off I79 in Wexford. It has a very nice Rifle range. Last fall around Nov 20th, I was driving the road in and just off to the right before you cross under 79, I watch a tremendous buck that i would guess scored in the 160's. He was unreal and was the biggest body deer I'd ever seen. This was about a half mile from the game lands so he could very well hang out there or at least had passed his gene's along.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:27 PM
Fork Horn

I've never hunted either, I am very familiar with the SGL by Wexford. I was going to go hunting there two years ago during the second week, but when I got there, I seen more orange than green or brown. I didn't even get out of the truck.

Pops is right about the rifle range. It is pretty nice and decent... BUT, do not go there alone, make sure you have someone watching your guns when you go check your target or even take it to the target with you....

Old 08-24-2006, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

PA_Bow_Hunter, have trouble at the range? Never thought of that before. I always just walked up to the target and left everything lay back at the table.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

is thats 189 the one in south beaver?? if so i been to that one 100 times...although theres deer and turkey and such the only good thing to hunt WAS pheasants. dont know about now though. i killed a bunch of pheasants out of there and a fall turkey one year. it was a nice game lands for bird hunting. held a few bunnies too. took a little hard work to find the best pheasant spots. i had spots i didnt need a dog and i could put them up. i never seen much deer or turkey sign. like i said i seen both. killed a fall turkey there but never seen all too much sign of them.

the one in wexford looks like a joke. no matter the season it seems to be packed. me and dad had trouble at the range so we quit going there. but the road was a shortcut to work so i took it and it looked pretty hectic every time i seen it, and it was usually weekdays and such. but even the one in south beaver im sure it gets pounded too. pheasant season it could get pretty busy..but i learned to let the people chase the birds and id find where they went to hide. i had one super secret spot i couldnt find now if i wanted too lol..but it was a long ways away from where anyone else hunted. i shot bunches back there. just didnt look like pheasant country from the road.