Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 PGC License Sales Down >

PGC License Sales Down

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PGC License Sales Down

Old 08-26-2006, 11:13 AM

Default RE: PGC License Sales Down

Think about this: Would you drive from a state like VT, pay $120 for a license, what is it $25 for a doe license to hunt here? It's a 6-8 hr drive or would you hunt in WV or OH or IL heck even NJ is better right now. With gas being $3/gal, licenses more expensive, way less deer why would you pick PA to hunt? You would have to either be stupid or have family and friends in PA that you hunt with every year. I just moved back to PA from VT and almost everyone I talked to used to come to PA to hunt, not any more. I don't really think resident license saleswill drop too much, true hunters will hunt no matter what. But if Ilived in another state I wouldn't pick PA for my hunting trip.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm sure you guys know alot of hunters in various ages.Yes I do know a good number of hunters who are hanging it up.A high percentage of those people are middle aged and older.Most hunt in the NC and don't feel it's worth the trip anymore to hunt deer.Deer hunting in this state has always been the bread and butter so of coarse it's going to affect license sales.
There's a few pockets of deer here and there in the NC on state land but you better darned well do alot of scouting to find them.With the current gas prices it's tough for people to make the extra three-four hour drives to do that.In the populated areas land is being posted and lost to developement so it's hard to find a place to hunt around home where deer numbers are plentiful.
As for getting youngsters into hunting.Kinda tough to do without smallgame minus squirrels.Here again available hunting land also comes into play.
At the end of the day we will see a change of guard.Either dcnr will get their wish and take over the pgc funtions or the general public will fund a good portion of the pgc.A license increase won't help much because of the offset of lower hunter numbers.Change is coming.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:01 PM

Kinda tough to do without smallgame minus squirrels.
And the danged fishers are eating them up to. Along with grouse and turkey poults.[:@]
Old 08-27-2006, 03:21 AM
Host of Hosts

After reading through the entire post, yes the whole 7 pages I still won't pass judgement on the PGC just yet. Have mistakes been made? Absolutely! Should some heads roll at the PGC? I think so!

One question for Crazy Horse. Didn't Alt resign his position a year or so ago? Why do you continue to bash someone who isn't part of the equation anymore? Doesn't make much sense to attack him when he's no longer a figure of the PGC. I'm not sticking up for him, but he did an excellent job with the Black Bear program in Pa. Maybe he should have stayed in that position instead.
Old 08-27-2006, 05:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Gary Alt made some mistakes, actually he predicted that would happen.
His biggest mistake IMHO were some of the sour grapes statements he made after he left. As far as PA deer management, he came in too late (not his fault) and then he did more good than harm. the problem is that he didnt have the courage to correct his mistakes and move forward. He cut and ran and did it crying all the way.

I still respect his knowledge and vision, too bad he wasnt man enough to finish the job and once he quit, he wasn't man enough to walk away without whining.

As for the guys who still complain about Alt, they're typically the guys that were screaming that we have no deer left at least 15-20 years ago. Heck, some of em have been dead set against doe hunting all their life!
Old 08-27-2006, 02:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

How could you possibly know that to be true when 15-20 years ago the herd was increasing not decreasing and and we had some of the best deer hunting statewide ,than we ever had before. Furthermore,when hunters were ask to do their part and harvest more doe ,we did exactly what were asked and bought over 1M antlerless tags and harvested 352K antlerless deer in 2002.
I couldnt seem to find when USP was founded but I know that USP has been around since AT LEAST the early 90's and that they have ALWAYS complained that the PGC issued too many doe tags.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:17 AM

Round 2 of the antlerless licenses and still plenty of tags left. It would the minority of displeased hunters is speaking.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Crazy Horse RVN

Round 2 of the antlerless licenses and still plenty of tags left. It would the minority of displeased hunters is speaking.
70% are gone as of today. About the same as last year. yes, I guessthe hunters have spoken. They're still buying doe licenses.

Does anyone know if the sales for 2A and 2B are correct? It's hard to belive that they only sold arond 7K tags in 2B.
I'm surprised, given your love for crunching numbers that you would only just now have noticed that 2B and 2A sell very slowly at first. I believe that the last time 2B, or Allegheny, it's central county, sold out was 11 years ago. Hunters here know that tags will be available for months so they apply to other WMU's where the demand is higher with their first and second application. I've know some guys to wait till rifle season to buy their doe tags here.

BTW, there are plenty of deer here to hunt if the hunter is willing to take the time to get permission to hunt some of the private property that makes up most of these WMU's. There are many farmers around , especially in 2A just begging for more hunters.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:00 AM

You missed something, BT. Last year, sales of antlerless deer licenses commenced on August 1. This year, the beginning date was August 7. Therefore the sales you cite did not occur during the same time period.
The short answer is, yes, you did miss something.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: patrkyhntr

You missed something, BT. Last year, sales of antlerless deer licenses commenced on August 1. This year, the beginning date was August 7. Therefore the sales you cite did not occur during the same time period.
The short answer is, yes, you did miss something.
patrkyhhtr
Are you sure it's one of my posts you're talking about? I pointed that very fact out three posts ago. Actually, I did miss something. I said sales commenced on the 8th and it was the 7th

and as for deerfly,

I agree 2A and 2B tags sell slower than other WMUs. Last year as Of Aug. 21 , they sold 32,663 in 2A compared to 28,260 on Aug. 28 this year.Last year in 2B they sold 62,797 in 2B as of Aug 21 but this year they only sold 57,994 . the drop in sales in %C is even bigger than in 2A and 2B for the same period.
I have no idea where you got those numbers but here are the Aug 28 2006 numbers directly from the PGC website:

2A
Open

2B
Open

The first number is the number of tags, the second is the number sold as of 8-28-06 and the third is what remains.

Where did you get your information?

Quick Reply: PGC License Sales Down

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.