Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Taxidermy permit??? >

Taxidermy permit???

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Taxidermy permit???

Old 08-09-2006, 09:59 PM

Default Taxidermy permit???

I was just looking thru links and see where taxidermist have to pay the PG and PF for a liscense every year to do taxidermist work....Does anyone else know this??? They really think they own these animals in the wild and think they deserve money for them even when they are dead....Whats next?? Buy a liscense if you are a deer processor..... I hope they don't read this.... Might give them the idea to push for this....
Old 08-10-2006, 08:34 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Taxidermy permit???

Act 77 was just passed July 7th. This law will take effect in 90 days. Takes the control of the taxidermy business out of the PGC hands now. Now the Dept of Agriculture is who you get your permit off of. No more PGC taxidermy exams.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:14 PM

ORIGINAL: CAMPFOURCORNERS

Act 77 was just passed July 7th. This law will take effect in 90 days. Takes the control of the taxidermy business out of the PGC hands now. Now the Dept of Agriculture is who you get your permit off of. No more PGC taxidermy exams.
Well that is cool anyway...Like I said thats the first time I ever heard of that...Then again there isn't many taxidermist around my area either and don't really talk much about that,other than to have a mount made up..
Old 08-10-2006, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not sure how true this is but here it goes.

I heard that the PGC was unable to account for all the money it received for Taxidermy permits and all the money amatuer taxidermist spent trying to get their license. I think it cost each person about $100 just to take the exam.

I heard all this money was unaccounted for. Anyone heard if this is true or not?
Old 08-10-2006, 02:52 PM

ORIGINAL: Windwalker7

I heard that the PGC was unable to account for all the money it received for Taxidermy permits and all the money amatuer taxidermist spent trying to get their license. I think it cost each person about $100 just to take the exam.

I heard all this money was unaccounted for. Anyone heard if this is true or not?
Like I said, I just heard about the liscense and they did mention that they wanted to increase it to 600 from a 100$... But I guess they wont be doing this or collecting a 100$ anymore either...

What kinda exam would one need to do taxidermist work??? This is so stupid.... You can tell they are so desperate for money...

Old 08-10-2006, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

The licensing exam has become outdated with all the advancements in the taxidermy industry. PA had required one to demonstrate proficiency in the art and pass a test to become licensed. Materials and methods have evolved to the point that this is really no longer necessary. We no longer "stuff" things. These advancements cost money though, and many hours are still spent on a quality mount, so don't expect your next mount to be free or even cheap, any time soon. Many states have never had an exam or even a license for that matter.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:58 PM
Typical Buck

I don’t know where you heard such a thing, but I can assure you it is just another malicious lie. Every penny the Game Commission handles, both in and out, is audited and accounted for by a staff the state’s auditors.

Both the Taxidermist and Cervid Propagator permittingalong with theiroverview got transferred from the Game Commission to the Department of Agriculture by the State Legislature. The most likely reason for the change was because some of them convinced the Legislature that they shouldn’t have to accountable. I am sure some of themsee this as a way around accountability and a way to do things that might not be good for the future of wildlife though more profitable for themselves.

It will be interesting to see how well it all works out when we are killing all the deer, both captive and wild, within five miles of each CWD outbreak It will also be interesting when people start complaining about taking their trophy wildlife harvest to a Taxidermist and then getting it back without any hair on it because the Taxidermist wasn’t adequately tested prior to being permitted.

Any bets on long it is going to take for each of those scenarios to become reality?

Dick Bodenhorn
WCO, Elk County

Old 08-10-2006, 05:58 PM
Fork Horn

"It will be interesting to see how well it all works out when we are killing all the deer, both captive and wild, within five miles of each CWD outbreak It will also be interesting when people start complaining about taking their trophy wildlife harvest to a Taxidermist and then getting it back without any hair on it because the Taxidermist wasn’t adequately tested prior to being permitted."

OK first what does CWD have to do with taxidermy? That sounded more like a threat that if you lose this money your going to start killing all the deer.

Second off if anyone takes ther trophy to a unapproved taxidermist and I certainly don't mean approved by you becuase Ican say I never looked for a PGC certificate at any taxderist I have been to.Before I leave amy deer anywhere I speak to people that have dealt with the Taxiderist and I examine the works in his shop and the mounts in progress of being done. If I have any doubts of his work I goelsewhere. PGC is such a joke thinking they are the only people that can control this while they constintly complain they are shorthanded and unable to do there own jobs most of the time. It is all about the money and thats all the PGC cares about anymore.

Trytan

Old 08-10-2006, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

It will also be interesting when people start complaining about taking their trophy wildlife harvest to a Taxidermist and then getting it back without any hair on it because the Taxidermist wasn’t adequately tested prior to being permitted.
that is totally absurd and laughable. If somebody can't figure out which taxidermist to use or doesn't have the ambition to find someone recommended then it is their Fault if they are displeased with the result. I'm sure you could still be a terrible taxidermist and pass some goober licensing prerequisite.

I know you can't believe that.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: R.S.B.

It will also be interesting when people start complaining about taking their trophy wildlife harvest to a Taxidermist and then getting it back without any hair on it because the Taxidermist wasn’t adequately tested prior to being permitted.

Any bets on long it is going to take for each of those scenarios to become reality?

Dick Bodenhorn
WCO, Elk County

So tell me, how many states require exams before you can become a taxidermist? I don't here many complaints from the states that don't.

Maybe you should go here and post in their forum, that you are a PA WCO and see what taxidermists feel about exams.
http://www.taxidermy.net/

Quick Reply: Taxidermy permit???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.