Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Taxidermy permit??? >

Taxidermy permit???

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Taxidermy permit???

Old 08-10-2006, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Taxidermy permit???

ORIGINAL: hillbillyhunter1

It will also be interesting when people start complaining about taking their trophy wildlife harvest to a Taxidermist and then getting it back without any hair on it because the Taxidermist wasn’t adequately tested prior to being permitted.
that is totally absurd and laughable. If somebody can't figure out which taxidermist to use or doesn't have the ambition to find someone recommended then it is their Fault if they are displeased with the result. I'm sure you could still be a terrible taxidermist and pass some goober licensing prerequisite.

I know you can't believe that.
How long does R.S.B. think a taxidermist like that, would stay in business?
Old 08-10-2006, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

The taxidermy industry is no different than any other. Does a painter orcarpet cleaner or landscaper have to "certified"? The market takes care of itself. A customer that got a crappy mount would have the same recourse as any other customer of any other industry. If you are unsatisfied with it, you could refuse to pay and even sue for damages and loss. A bad taxidermist would gain a bad reputation and suffer for it. Just because a guy would be "certified" means nothing as far as a guarantee. I bet there were many people who took the exam and presented mounts that they did not do. I bet there are many mounts in any given year from "certified" taxidermists that have the hair fall out. As a matter of fact, hair slip is usually the fault of the hunter in not properly caring for it before the taxidermist even sees it. As in any other transaction, a hunter should research his purchase before committing to it. (ie, seeing samples of work, references, reputation etc.)
Old 08-10-2006, 09:10 PM
Typical Buck

Perhaps you don’t understand what has happened with the changing of the guard on Taxidermists being permitted.

Presently there is nothing to say that they will not still be required to take and exam and get a permit in the future. Their regulatory status is presently undetermined other then who they are responsible to.

Perhaps you can’t see any correlation to Taxidermists and CWD but that only tells me that you haven’t thought things through very far or you don’t know enough about CWD.

Taxidermist shops are probably the most likely place for a CWD specimen to show up since it travels with the head, the bones or the lymph modes. Those are the very things taxidermists are most likely to get into their shops and if it isn’t disposed of properly it will be spread into our wild deer. That is exactly how it got into New York State and there is no reason to think the same thing couldn’t happen here with relaxed regulations or enforcement.

It really doesn’t have as much to due with an exam as it does with just have control of who is doing taxidermy and having some way of dealing with them in a legally controlled way to safeguard our future wildlife resources. Without sufficient regulations there will be both more illegal and unsafe action occurring in the business. Is that what is best for the future of wildlife, hunting or the taxidermy business?

Dick Bodenhorn
WCO, Elk County
Old 08-10-2006, 10:08 PM

RSB, sadly, you and others have been misinformed on the NY CWD "outbreak". Trust me when I say its not as it seems, or as youre told.

As for PA taxidermists no longer needing an exam, thats a good move. The exam was the laughing stock of the industry, unless you were in PA. There you could use it to elevate your status from hiding out and doing taxidermy undergroundto nowproudly showing all how you finally passed the exam. The exam was a farce, of course, as it didnt control any part of the business. Once you passed, there was no controlling what goes out your door, of course. ( except through customers opinion) Hopefully your governing body that controls taxidermy now will have the foresight to have a simple permit for taxidermy so that they can know where its being conducted, and by whom. This way important info can be passed along to control the movement of trophies in and out of your state. Monitoring would be a much better word for it. Its already known that trophies dont come into states on the carcass, rather theyre now processed first. Any taxidermist with half a working brain knows, too. You folks, the consumer, polices and monitors us, the taxidermists, as far as quality, so no exam is needed. The taxidermists did NOT lobby for this for profit, rather, on principles and common sense.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:54 AM

ORIGINAL: Windwalker7

ORIGINAL: hillbillyhunter1

It will also be interesting when people start complaining about taking their trophy wildlife harvest to a Taxidermist and then getting it back without any hair on it because the Taxidermist wasn’t adequately tested prior to being permitted.
that is totally absurd and laughable. If somebody can't figure out which taxidermist to use or doesn't have the ambition to find someone recommended then it is their Fault if they are displeased with the result. I'm sure you could still be a terrible taxidermist and pass some goober licensing prerequisite.

I know you can't believe that.
How long does R.S.B. think a taxidermist like that, would stay in business?
True...
Old 08-11-2006, 12:56 AM

ORIGINAL: livbucks

The taxidermy industry is no different than any other. Does a painter orcarpet cleaner or landscaper have to "certified"? The market takes care of itself. A customer that got a crappy mount would have the same recourse as any other customer of any other industry. If you are unsatisfied with it, you could refuse to pay and even sue for damages and loss. A bad taxidermist would gain a bad reputation and suffer for it. Just because a guy would be "certified" means nothing as far as a guarantee. I bet there were many people who took the exam and presented mounts that they did not do. I bet there are many mounts in any given year from "certified" taxidermists that have the hair fall out. As a matter of fact, hair slip is usually the fault of the hunter in not properly caring for it before the taxidermist even sees it. As in any other transaction, a hunter should research his purchase before committing to it. (ie, seeing samples of work, references, reputation etc.)
True...
Old 08-11-2006, 10:45 AM
Typical Buck

the pgc is always complaining about money but what are they going to do next yr with all the extra money they get next yr when the general hunting license goes up roughly 10 dollars times roughly 1 million hunters? $10,000,000!!! i would like to have a raise like that one yr besides with the new taxidermy law that offers a taxidermist to enroll in the pa certified taxidermist program. with this program its almost like continuing education where a taxidermist gets certified by going to shows and seminars just to name a few and to keep your certification you have to continually keep getting your "points". By a taxidermist doing this they should keep up to date with all the newest techniques out there and not become outdated.....thats just my 2 cents though