Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 PA DMAP (Just Kill the Deer!) >

PA DMAP (Just Kill the Deer!)

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA DMAP (Just Kill the Deer!)

Old 05-07-2006, 07:17 AM

Default PA DMAP (Just Kill the Deer!)

GAME COMMISSION TO BEGIN ACCEPTING DMAP APPLICATIONS

HARRISBURG - Landowners looking to enroll in the Pennsylvania Game Commission's Deer Management Assistance Program (DMAP), which is designed to help landowners manage deer on their properties, have until July 1 to submit an application addressed to "DMAP Application" to the appropriate Game Commission Region Office.

In addition, a map delineating the property boundaries must be enclosed with the application. Landowners may obtain DMAP applications from the Game Commission's website (www.pgc.state.pa.us) in the "Quick Clicks" box in the upper right-hand corner of the homepage by clicking on "Deer Program" and then choosing "DMAP landowner applications" in the DMAP box. Applications also can be obtained from any Game Commission Region Office or the Harrisburg headquarters.

Eligible lands for DMAP are: public lands; private lands where no fee is charged for hunting; and hunting club lands owned in fee title so long as the club was established prior to Jan. 1, 2000, and they provide a club charter and list of current members to the agency. Previously, private hunting clubs were required to own a minimum of 1,000 contiguous acres before being eligible.

Coupons for DMAP antlerless deer harvest permits may be issued to landowners at a rate of one coupon for every five acres in agricultural operations or one coupon for every 50 acres for all other land uses. Management plans will be required only when an applicant for DMAP requests more than the standard rate for issuance of DMAP harvest permits.

Landowners must designate their boundaries in a manner approved by the Game Commission. Landowners will receive one coupon for each DMAP permit allocated for their property, and they may give up to two DMAP coupons per DMAP area to a 2006-07 licensed hunter, who will then apply to the Game Commission for DMAP harvest permits. Landowners may not charge or accept any remuneration for a DMAP coupon. Hunters may possess up to two DMAP permits for a specific DMAP property in any given license year.

DMAP permit allotments will be made separate from the general antlerless deer license allocations, and will be $6 for residents and $26 for nonresidents.

After August 1, hunters can begin to apply for DMAP antlerless deer permits. Also on August 1, a listing of DMAP properties that have available coupons will be posted on the agency's website (www.pgc.state.pa.us). Those without access to the Internet can obtain listings by mailing a self-addressed, stamped envelope along with a letter indicating their county of interest, to the Game Commission Region Office responsible for that particular county. Region Office contact information, and a listing of counties in their jurisdiction, is as follows:

Northwest Region Office, P.O. Box 31, Franklin, PA 16323. 814-432-3188. Butler, Clarion, Crawford, Erie, Forest, Jefferson, Lawrence, Mercer, Venango and Warren counties.

Southwest Region Office, 4820 Route 711, Bolivar, PA 15923. 724-238-9523. Allegheny, Armstrong, Beaver, Cambria, Fayette, Greene, Indiana, Somerset, Washington and Westmoreland counties.

Northcentral Region Office, P.O. Box 5038, Jersey Shore, PA 17740. 570-398-4744. Cameron, Centre, Clearfield, Clinton, Elk, Lycoming, McKean, Potter, Tioga, and Union counties.

Southcentral Region Office, P.O. Box 537, Huntingdon, PA 16652. 814-643-1831. Adams, Bedford, Blair, Cumberland, Franklin, Fulton, Huntingdon, Juniata, Mifflin, Perry and Snyder counties.

Northeast Region Office, P.O. Box 220, Dallas, PA 18612. 570-675-1143. Bradford, Carbon, Columbia, Lackawanna, Luzerne, Monroe, Montour, Northumberland, Pike, Sullivan, Susquehanna, Wayne and Wyoming counties.

Southeast Region Office, 448 Snyder Rd., Reading, PA 19605. 610-926-3136. Berks, Bucks, Chester, Dauphin, Delaware, Lancaster, Lebanon, Lehigh, Montgomery, Northampton, Philadelphia, Schuylkill and York counties.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I noticed that once again there is no requirement nor request for anyone killing a deer under DMAP to REPORT their kill.

WHY NOT[/align]???

I also noted that Hunting Clubs are required to "provide a club charter and list of current members to the agency."
Apparently they also need not REPORT their kills. What I question is what will Rendell's PGC do with the list of names required from the clubs? Will they be sold to some commercial advertiser for a fee that will then end up in the PGC general fund? Will those listed then begin to recieve unwanted solicitations?

If the agency needs a list of names from the club, why is there no need for that same club to REPORT what they killed and who did the killing as is REQUIRED of the rest of the deer hunting community?

Another question; If I belong to such a club and don't hunt under the DMAP program, why should my name be included in the list to be submitted to the Governor's agency?

Is this the work of an agency thatclaims to operate under scientific standardsor is this all just a KILL ALL THE DEER program!

Old 05-07-2006, 09:09 AM

Default RE: PA DMAP (Just Kill the Deer!)

My guess is this is to control clubs or ranches where someone might enroll it in DMAP then charge people to hunt like a commercial operation. This way a list of hunters is already established. I don't know what the reasoning is. Just throwing out an idea on it.

Old 05-07-2006, 09:32 AM

ORIGINAL: T_in_PA3

My guess is this is to control clubs or ranches where someone might enroll it in DMAP then charge people to hunt like a commercial operation. This way a list of hunters is already established. I don't know what the reasoning is. Just throwing out an idea on it.
well said T
Old 05-07-2006, 10:12 AM

I'm sure that may be one aspect of control and oversight, but all that considered don't you think the Governor's agency would want an accurate record, date, locationand count of the kill? Why would they leave such an important item out? It is a requirement for all other deer hunters. Why special dispensation for DMAP?

Also, is there a provision that would protect a listee from recieving spam, junk mail and unwanted solicitations? Is the list of names being sold for agency profit?
Old 05-07-2006, 10:36 AM

Reporting requirment, I believe, still stands just like a regular back tag. I know the other year they removed the wording that stated a person would not receive a DMAP tag if they did not report their DMAP the previous year. People just had to say they sent the card in so the post office must have lost it. Was no use in having that stipulation.

Aren't state agencies required by law to not sell mailing lists?
Old 05-07-2006, 02:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Kill all them pesty critters
Old 05-08-2006, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

DMAP is one of the best management tools the PGC has come up with.Allocations have been slashed the last two years in some units and dmap allows areas with too many deer to be selectively reduced,micro managed if you will.

DMAP harvest requirements are the same as with any other deer harvest.Actually dmap goes one step further and requests that even unsuccessful hunters send in a report card.They took the fine a way becauseit's too hard to prove in court that the postal system didn't lose the eport card.Too insinuate that they aren't concerned with the harvest rates of dmap is a huge mistatement of truth without anything backing it up.

Old 05-08-2006, 07:34 AM
Typical Buck

"I know the other year they removed the wording that stated a person would not receive a DMAP tag if they did not report their DMAP the previous year."

Yep, that's what they did. Turned out that DMAP users were not muchmore likely to send in their reports than non-DMAP hunters, so they gave up on the requirement to report, in order to get another DMAP tag in the future.

They don't refuse to sell you a general hunting license if you kill a doe and"neglect" to report it, why make DMAPs an exception?

Railing about that now, is about the same as blaming the game commission for nothaving a better handle onhow many deer are killed,when hunters refuse to just send in a report that takes about 2 minutes to complete and costs nothing to mail.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

No cardeer,they aren't trying to kill all the deer.Thats precisely why they greatlyslashed the allocations in 2G and 2F the last two years.I live in 2G andI still can't understand what all the crying is about.I had no problem finding deer to hunt and harvest last year on public land.I hunted on two different SGL several times over the past week and saw deer every single time out.Two sundays ago I was scouting for turkeys on SGL 93 in Clearfield county and saw over 15 by 8:30am.They're far from extinct and they'll be alot more this fallbecause of the mild winter,excellent mast crop,decreased allocationsand decreased pressure in this area.