Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Delaware F&W now says 50k Deer - Wow! >

Delaware F&W now says 50k Deer - Wow!

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Delaware F&W now says 50k Deer - Wow!

Old 04-23-2006, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Delaware F&W now says 50k Deer - Wow!

F&W director Pat Emory was on local news last week.The estimate for Deer is now 50k. Big time differance than past estimates of 38k + -

I've had a trail cam out since close of Jan season just to see whats moving and where.I've placed the camera in all key areas of our farm(Zone 9).
I'm making an educated guess at 12-15 DPSM in our immediate area.Thats using a base line of 640 acres = 1 sq mile and figuring in where the deer are coming from at various trail cam locations.

Anyway - F&W has its work cut out for upcoming 06 season. I'm sure they will make everybody happy in the end
Old 04-26-2006, 03:58 PM

Default RE: Delaware F&W now says 50k Deer - Wow!

Anyway - F&W has its work cut out for upcoming 06 season. I'm sure they will make everybody happy in the end
That is funny!!

I cant wait to see what the break out is by zone. Im really looking forward to deer seasons set by zones. Happy will I be the the day that state wide seasons go the way of the Dodo,,,,
Old 05-01-2006, 07:25 PM

F&W director Pat Emory was on local news last week.The estimate for Deer is now 50k. Big time differance than past estimates of 38k + -
The more I think about this, the more I have to say Hmmmm,,,, I know this is the 1st time that they have had the night time deer counts, but how could you F up the estimate that bad? Esp giving that DNREC are a professional bunch of guys and the people they hired to do the count are supposeably very good. I smell the ever powerful farmers lobby weighing in. With a count of 38K, you could see a reduction of liberal seasons in SOME zones next year. With a 50K count, that aint going to happen no matter what a zones deer population may be. I think someone may have had a little talk with Mr. Emory and with a little elbow jab, a couple of winks of an eye said, "Dont you think you may have estimated a little low".

Sad. [:'(][:'(]
Old 05-02-2006, 09:33 AM
Dominant Buck

That's a buttload of deer to pack into such a small state ! [&:]
Old 05-03-2006, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Duck - your getting into a conspiracy mode. I don't think F&W is going to fudge any numbers or down right lie.You could never keep a secret like that in Delaware anyway. I believe it was stated the initial arial report was an estimate and adjustments would be made to counts.

I'm betting the 12k deer increase are stuck back in residential areas where counts are very difficult due to NO hunting - and or farms where little or no hunting allowed
Old 05-03-2006, 05:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'd venture to say there are many more than 50,000 deer in De. Hell, I releize De is a small state but Md kills that many in just 2 or three countys. Geographicly De is part of Md's Eastern Shore anyway
Old 05-05-2006, 04:26 PM
jf5

50K dosn't sound unresonable. Put little state of MA is reported to have 85K-95K deer
Old 05-06-2006, 04:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Maybe the state of Deleware should increase their budget to make room for a new calculator. If that doesn't go through for fear of raising taxes too much at least go for some new batteries.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:11 AM

Maybe the state of Deleware should increase their budget to make room for a new calculator. If that doesn't go through for fear of raising taxes too much at least go for some new batteries.
They are going to double the license fees this year. Maybe they'll be able to afford one of those fancy solar jobs. Save on batteries that way!