Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 eastern shore hunters need your help >

eastern shore hunters need your help

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

eastern shore hunters need your help

Old 03-12-2006, 08:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default eastern shore hunters need your help

i travel back and forth to and from norfolk va alot and travel the eastern shores i am curious if there is any public land to hunt or and good hunting clubs out there???? if there is can someone point me in the right direction!!!! i got a resident va lic. due to the U.S NAVY. but would like some help in this area
Old 03-13-2006, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: eastern shore hunters need your help

DJ, There is alot of eastern shore land in Maryland, check the MD DNR webpage, the areas I would key on are Locompte WMA, Idywild WMA and "the chesepeake lands" which have just been opened to hunting in the last few years. Plenty of deer (whitetail and sikas) and turkeys on this land.

PM me if you have any specific questions I would be glad to help.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:29 AM
Typical Buck

I think you might be limited to VA's eastern shore from your post.

VA's eastern shore has great hunting, but unfortunately, it's limited in public offerings. Most of it is tied up in hunt clubs, and private lands. I remeber some areas there being a hot topic for dog-running, and the quick, escalating increase in hunt club costs due to rising lease rates.

Good hunting there now, if anything, that area is known for increasing the quality of hunting in a couple decades from being poor to very good.

Your best chance would be the area right at the bridge. I believe you may be able to hunt there, as there is some type of state managed land. I've seen deer running around on the small islands right as you exit the bridge.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hi D.J.
I feel your pain I was in the very same boat as you. I spent 23 years in the navy and most of it was in the same area, Now I have been retired for 13 years now I will try to help you as best I can . As far as the eastern shore goes first on the MD. border there is Chincoteague Wildlife Refuge the offer a great Sieka deer hunt and I understand that they had to open the whitetail season as they were getting over run. Contact them at PO Box 62 Chincoteague VA. 23336-0062. Now if you bow hunt you are all set I can tell you that the base in Va Beach Oceana has some of the best bow hunting I have ever had its a pain in the butt you have to have a bow hunter safty course and shoot to prove you can hit a deer and you have to check in and out but let me tell you its well worth it. And who knows mabey by now they allow guns. For early season shotgun try the base in Chesepeake North West Radio station they have the early shotgun season and have a orginized dog hunt on Wed. and Sat. the base in Fentress also has limited deer hunting. I hope that helps if you are interested in joining a club on the eastern shore I still have a friend who lives there give me a PM and I can get you in touch with him. But I think you will be happy with what I gave you in your area. Also get ahold of the paper companys like Continentel Can they have a bunch of land yu can hunt by buying a $10.00 permit. I hope this helps you it took me years to get the info I gave you. Try to keep away from the clubs down there they charge way too much and your name goes in a hat they pull you a number put you on a stand and thats where you hunt no skill no scouting you stay on the exact spot and if somthing comes by you get a shot if not well. If your caught moving even just a few feet you gone no refund. Good Luck Mike

Old 03-15-2006, 12:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

DJ,
Where do you reside/home - your "hunting address" so to speak??
Old 03-16-2006, 05:03 AM
Fork Horn

AJ i am in new york .... long island to be exact