Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Eastern Shore

Old 01-15-2005, 10:29 AM
Fork Horn

Default Eastern Shore

Does anyone here live or hunt on Maryland's eastern shore?
Old 01-15-2005, 02:01 PM

Default RE: Eastern Shore

I do both.Part time living there.Go back and forth between are place in pocomoke and also chesapeake beach on the western shore.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lived there off and on when I worked over there. Deer hunted in Kent and Caroline county few yrs ago. Great hunting over there - but it ain't cheap!
Old 01-16-2005, 07:12 AM

I plan on relocating there in about 5 years. I'm in NJ now and when I drive thru the eastern shore are on my way to DC it amazes me. Very nice area. From what I've read a lot of quality bucks down there.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Mooosedrool I have hunted there , go to ES of Va. quite often, I live a 4 miles from Md line what is your question?
Old 01-16-2005, 09:20 AM

Yes, bring your big check book. I have buddies that live in Chestertown and Galena the price they get for there farms are enough to by a late model used truck.

WW
ORIGINAL: AJ52

Lived there off and on when I worked over there. Deer hunted in Kent and Caroline county few yrs ago. Great hunting over there - but it ain't cheap!
Old 01-16-2005, 11:00 AM
Fork Horn

No real question. I just moved here this past summer and was wondering who all on this board might have future info or be interested in the same. I live in Easton and am fortunate to have some public land nearby which wasn't bad hunting this past fall. I didn't really have time this year to try to gain access to any private land, but I've already heard that most of the good hunting in tied up in leased farms and hunting clubs. I've seen some great bucks on the public land I've hunted during bow season, but out of range. It's definitely quality habitat here....corn, soybeans, oak filled woodlots...it's got it all.
Old 01-16-2005, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

m00,
If your going to settle down in the Easton MD area or anywhere on Eastern Shore of Maryland your gonna have plenty of quality hunting areas to choose from. But - as Wild Work mentioned you better have a Big check book or have the right connections to private land. Think about Caroline County, mostly farm land and forgotton county with low hunter numbers but tons of Very Nice Deer. Also Great Hunting is Dorchester County with Whitetail and Sika available and some areas open to center fire. Those 2 counties would probably be the easiest and cheapest to find private land to hunt. Good Luck
Old 01-17-2005, 09:21 AM

Anybody ever hunt the Idylwild WMA in Caroline County? I normally hunt Central MD areas, but I have a permit to hunt goose on Wye Island this week. Goose hunt ends by 1 PM so I am going to spend the afternoon exploring Idylwild as a new area for a bowhunt. I've been to some other areas on the ES, but never Idylwild.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:42 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info AJ...you pretty much summed up everything I've heard about $$. I'm not looking to pay through the nose for a lease, but I'd consider a reasonable amount if that's what it takes to get on to some good hunting property. Like I mentioned, I'm close to Wye Island NRMA, Idylwild WMA, and a 125 acre piece of state land (Seth Forest) is about 5 minutes from my house, but I'll probably still look for some private land in the counties you mentioned.

Dan...I've been on the Idylwild a few times scouting, but hunted it only once during firearms season. I found lots of sign (trails, some big rubs, scrapes) but didn't see any deer the day I hunted other than one that someone had shot and left for some unknown reason. It was pouring rain and I just slipped around some, more scouting than hunting. The one portion I've been on (relatively small compared to the size of the WMA) looked like a great spot. Several cornfields with nearby brushy creek bottoms and thick pines. I want to learn that place a little better and hope to do some spring gobbler hunting there in the spring. The spot where you're goose hunting has the reputation of being one of the best public land bowhunting areas on the shore for a bruiser buck. I walked up on a dandy one evening, but hadn't filled my B tag yet which is a requirement to kill a buck there. Not sure I would have got a shot regardless, but he sure was a big buck. You should have plenty of shooting. Some mornings in my treestand I couldn't hear myself think from all the geese carrying on!

Quick Reply: Eastern Shore

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.