Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Mountain Lions Are Absolutely in PA (photo Added) >

Mountain Lions Are Absolutely in PA (photo Added)

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Mountain Lions Are Absolutely in PA (photo Added)

Old 12-29-2005, 08:34 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Mountain Lions Are Absolutely in PA (photo Added)

I agree. There is some sorta critter in that pic, but I can't tell what it is either. No problemhere poking some fun at those that maintain such stories are true, especially the ones about truckloads of 'yotes and cougars with insurance company logos tattooed in theirears. Sorry.

Rockfish, keep it up and I may sneak up thenext time I lay eyes on youand nip something off'n that prodigious pelt of yours.

Old 12-29-2005, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can't be serious. This is your proof? Oh please...

Old 12-29-2005, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wish it was a better picture.
As much as I would like to say you proved what I have been saying,
I just don't know. It sure looks like it could be a cougar. The tail could be
swung out to it's right or layed down tight, but I just don't see it. It does not look like the color of a bobcat, not the shape of a coyote or deer. I have seen cats hold their leg up like that quite a bit, especially when about to jump up or over something. I believe your uncle is telling the truth as to what he thinks he saw, he could be right, he could be mistaken. We will have to wait and see how things pan out on this issue, won't we.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:23 AM

In the photo, the cat was climbing up onto a downed tree.

When was the last time you saw a deer step on top of a downed tree? They always step over or around such objects whereas animals such a coyotes, bears, bobcats and cougars tend to purposefully step onto them to get themselves into an elevated postion for better hearing and eyesight. this animal is definitely not colored like any bobcats, coyotes or bears that I have seen.

For those of you that think this animal looks likea deer, you need to quit hunting in PA so much, because like many PA hunters you have forgotten what a deer actually looks like.

AGAIN, I will gladly forward the original scan to anyone that wants it for closer inspection, since I had to crop/resize the original to get it to fit the bandwith restriction on this site. I am not a computer expert ... especially with regard to photos. Perhaps someone with better skills would be willing to blow up the original and disect it for us.

Truthfully, if this pic had been taken by someone other than my uncle, I would be skeptical. However, my uncle is a very religious, pious and honest man. He has no reason to make up a story about a cougar in PA, and he has never given me any reason to doubt his word about anything. (except maybe stretching the truth about the size of the trout he catches. )

- Gr8ful

Old 12-29-2005, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Email the file to me. I will crop and zoom in on the animal and post it.
I hope it was scanned at a very high res. The higher the better.

Old 12-29-2005, 11:00 AM

" In the photo, the cat was climbing up onto a downed tree.
Now, I don't mean to nit pick, but how can you determine that this photo is of a cat, much less what it is doing? First of all, when I enhance the photo, the face of the animal in the photo does not look like a cat. The nose is long, much longer than that of a mountain lion.

"For those of you that think this animal looks likea deer, you need to quit hunting in PA so much, because like many PA hunters you have forgotten what a deer actually looks like."
Well, I will admit to having much worse vision than I used to have. Still, my vision was good enough to take three deer in Pennsylvania this year. How many mountain lions have you seen in the wild? I have seen half a dozen or so. Believe me, I know what a mountain lion looks like and what a deer looks like and you can't tell the difference from this photo. Color can be changed. In my photo shop programs, I could make that animal look blue, greeen, or any color I choose. I have seen quite a number of dogs too.

"AGAIN, I will gladly forward the original scan to anyone that wants it for closer inspection, since I had to crop/resize the original to get it to fit the bandwith restriction on this site. I am not a computer expert ... especially with regard to photos. Perhaps someone with better skills would be willing to blow up the original and disect it for us."
If you would like, forward the scan to me and I will see what I can do with it. I hope you scanned it in at a high resolution, say 600 DBI?

I have no interest in calling anyone a liar, least of all, your uncle, whom I have never met. I have seen a number of very pious and religious people who were quite good at telling tall tales, but again, I don't know your uncle. I believe you can take what you want from this photo. If you want to see a mountain lion, it is there. Conclusive proof? Not in my opinion. The quality isn't good enough to be certain.

Old 12-29-2005, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

From look of shoulder,head and position of leg it surely doesn't appear to be a Deer.

I'm not gonna infer photo is fake,isn't a Lion or the individual is a liar.I'm also not going to infer that ALL accounts of Lions in PA thru the years are fictitious.

There is nobody on this MB that has submitted any proof there are no Lions in PA now or haven't been in recent history or couldn't be.That mentality is only justified in the realms of the internet.

Gr8 - the pic you took the time to post only adds some validity in my mind as to your uncles account on what he saw - A Lion.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:52 AM

I just got off the phone with my uncle to get some additional information about where and when he took this photo. He is as excited about relaying the events of that day today as he was when he first told it to me back in 2002. That alone makes me belive his story, because I doubt he would be excited to relate an untruthful account.

According to my uncle, the photo was taken in July of 2002 while they were traveling on Transco Road which is off of Rt. 872 north of Sinnemahoning State Park. The area is near the intersection of Potter, Cameron and Clinton Counties.

I have forwarded a copy of theuncropped photo to someone on this board for further observation/clarification.

Hopefully, they will be able to do something with it, becasue I am certain that it is legitimate.

- Gr8ful
Old 12-29-2005, 12:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

that color of that lion is same color ,i saw in pottersdale,pa.15 years ago which the PGC was not interested in .i believe that is picture of lion or bobcat.reason i said bobcat, is because i cant see the tail.then again, i never saw bobcat that is orange color.read my post on the lion i saw which i thought was a monkey running at first, until it stopped and screached at me.then i saw it within 15 ft of me and my good hunting friend.i carry a camcorder now in woods , in car .laugh at monkey thing, but until you see a mountain lion,dont laugh,ha..take care.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not much detail to work with but it does look like some type of cat. I think what looks like a nose is really a shadow from the cats head. It is very muscular in the shoulder area, indicative of a cougar's musculature. The abdomen is round and again that is indicative of a cougar. The tail escapes me but they will tuck their tail just before leaping up onto something. I wish the facial feature was evident but it is lost in shadow. I think it is probably a photo of a cougar. Wild, tame, what have you.

Quick Reply: Mountain Lions Are Absolutely in PA (photo Added)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.