Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Mountain Lions Are Absolutely in PA (photo Added) >

Mountain Lions Are Absolutely in PA (photo Added)

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Mountain Lions Are Absolutely in PA (photo Added)

Old 12-26-2005, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mountain Lions Are Absolutely in PA

I give - you are right. Since I can't prove a negative, that is all the real proof needed that mountain lions are all over the NE.

That said, seeing one will be a SHOCK.

Steve

Old 12-26-2005, 07:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

i am glad that at least you believe what i said and saw.in the cross fork area of potter county many reports came in about a cougar they are seeing.i know those people there and they lived all their lives in woods.so, they can be counted on to be telling truth also. trust me, what i saw was a MOUNTAIN LION.take care.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:28 AM

"Guess he couldn't get the picture scanned."

Relax, Charlie P. My uncle lives in Emporium, Pa and I live in NJ. It's not exactly across the street, so my father asked him to mail the photo to his home in Linden, PA. My father wil scan it and send me a digital copy;I will post it up as soon as I get it.

I can assure you it is definitely a mountain lion, and it was definitelyphotographed in PA.

Would the doubters please try to explain away the multiple sightings near White Clay Creek in Chester County?

The fact is that too manyTRUSTWORTHY & KNOWLEDGABLE people have reported seeing them for me not to believe. None of the people I know personally that saw them ever believed they existed beforethey saw them. They also had nothing to gain by reporting what they saw, so why would they make up such a preposterous story? A bobcat does not look anything like a cougar when you can clearly see their tails.

There was a confirmed cougar kill in PA back in 1967 in Cameron County.That animal was believed to have been a captive animal that was released. It was healthy adult female. Prior to that, the last known, documented case of a cougar killing in PA was sometime in the late 1800's or early 1900's.

- Gr8ful

Old 12-27-2005, 12:06 PM
Typical Buck

Cross Forks? I recall a few years ago when the ol' gal that took over Harry Kinney's Cross Forks column in the Potter Leader-Enterprise, reported seeing a PGC truck loaded with coyotes sneaking through Cross Forks in the middle of the night.

Must be ahotbed of intrigue, extraordinary eventsand conspiracy theories down in there. Either that, or some of them just spend too much time in Kinney's Bar? Then again perhapsthe water in Kettle Creek may contain something out of the ordinary.

[8D]
Old 12-27-2005, 03:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

now,thats not nice, she is sick .her comment wasshe was told that a truck was seen with yotes in but not in crossforks,she just reported what she was told. i remember article.now,being you dont believe that some have seen a cougar out there, i do. i know some of people that saw this cougar and they would not fib. most of them dont even drink andlive there all their lives.they have no reason to make up a story.as for water, it is getting better in kettle creek but still to much acid in water.thats why no minnows.i am not trying to convince you as you gave one example of person who reported this truck. heck, i heard that story many times.i heard that the insurance and logging co. brought them in.dont know if thats true BUT i can tell you this, i saw mountain lion and some of those at crossforks, i know saw a cougar.i would stake my reputation that those who saw this cougar, saw it.take care.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I give - you are right. Since I can't prove a negative, that is all the real proof needed that mountain lions are all over the NE.
Me too SteveBNY. This kind of logic always amazes me. For those of you that use it, the next time you start to type the words "prove it isn't true" or something like that, stop and think for a moment that a majority of people will be chuckeling and consider it ignorant,little different than if youwere to argue that2 + 2 = 5. Just as the 2 + 2 = 5 thing displays a lack of mathmatical education, the "prove it isn't true" thing displays a lack of education in logic.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:45 PM

yes siree Bob there's mountain lions in PA... the state brought them in with the cooperation of the insurance companies and the forestry industry... turned them over to Bigfoot for training in how to avoid the million hunters out in deer season, who haven't seen any animals, tracks or scat... the thousands of predator hunters who are all over the state calling day and night, with all sorts of calls and lights... never been one reported hit on the highways that criss cross this state... yessiree they sure are some smart cats...
Old 12-28-2005, 01:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Would the doubters please try to explain away the multiple sightings near White Clay Creek in Chester County?
Probably the same reason there are multiple sighting of UFO's in an area. People probably saw "something" unusual. That in no way shape or form proves it was what people THOUGHT they saw. If multiple sightings is proof that mountain lions exist then I guess UFO's are roaming around too. You dont' believe in UFO's do you? How about ghosts?[:-]

It's as simple as this. The non-believers will NEVER believe mountain lions are in PA or NY without a confirmed sighting, video, carcass, or picture.

The believers will continue to believe they are roaming elusively in the woods someplace and there simply hasn't been any concrete proof yet. They put faith in heresay or sightings from reputable sources.

Neither side will ever budge on why or why they don't believe it.

*in the end I believe it all boils down to.............
SHOW US SOME DANG PROOF FOR GODS SAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-29-2005, 07:34 AM

Default RE: Mountain Lions Are Absolutely in PA (photo Added)

Here is the photo that my uncle snapped of a mountain lion that crossed the road in front of his truck a couple of years ago while returning from a fishing trip in PA.

He and his friend saw this animal very clearly when it crossed in front of the truck. It was not a bobcat as it had a tail that was at least as long as its body. Unfortunately, it took them a while to get the camera out, so they had to take the photo from a farther distance.

Take note of the size of this cat in comparison to the posted sign on the tree in the background. It is definitely bigger than a bobcat!

My uncle's name is Thomas Glosek, and he is a school teacher in Emporium, PA. He has been hunting and fishing in PA for over 35 years. Up until he saw this animal , he never would have believed there are
mountian lions in PA.

There are some out there ... there may not be many (and they may actually be captive animals that were released), BUT THEY ARE DEFINITELY COUGARS.

I had to crop/resize this photo to get it meet the 150KB file size restriction for this site.If anyone would likea larger file size version that is more clear, list your e-mail here, and I will be happy to send it to you.

- Gr8ful

Old 12-29-2005, 07:58 AM

Default RE: Mountain Lions Are Absolutely in PA (photo Added)

Well, I took the photo, put it right side up, and enlarged the image of the animal to where it got too grainy to see anything. I then put it in Microsoft Digital Image Pro and tried everything I could to enhance the photo. I must admit that I am not skillful enough to do much more.

While your photo is interesting, and appears to be of some sort of animal, I can't tell from the photo whether the animal is a bobcat, a deer, or a mountain lion. Actually, the way the front leg is raised reminds me more of a deer than of a cat. No matter what I do to the photo, I can't see a tail. Mountain lions have a long and easily visible tail.

I guess you will have to provide better proof to convince me, because I don't see "conclusive proof" that this animal is a mountain lion, and I do believe that there might be mountain lions in the northeastern part of the USA, including PA. I continue to wonder why nobody has ever killed one, given the trigger happy nature of some of our hunters who shoot humans in mistake for turkeys. Of course, some people really are turkeys, aren't they?

I don't make fun of those who think mountain lions exist in PA. I think those who tell the stories about the mountain lions being released by the insurance companies and the blame commission are sort of funny, and will continue to make fun of those who spread such rumors. I tried to attach the photo as I improved it, but I guess this site won't allow me to post photos.

Quick Reply: Mountain Lions Are Absolutely in PA (photo Added)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.