Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Mountain Lions Are Absolutely in PA (photo Added) >

Mountain Lions Are Absolutely in PA (photo Added)

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Mountain Lions Are Absolutely in PA (photo Added)

Old 12-22-2005, 02:32 PM

Default Mountain Lions Are Absolutely in PA (photo Added)

For those of you "Doubting Thomases", there absolutely are mountain lions living in the wilds of PA ... whether the PGC wants to admit it or not.

A few years ago, there was one photographed, documented and tracked in the Chester County area near White Clay Creek which is a suburban area very close to Philadelphia. Numerous people saw it, and PGC officials confirmed the tracks were definitely a mountain lion (although there was no way to prove whether it was a wild one, or whether it was one that had reverted to a wild state after having been released.) The woman whom first saw it was watching her bird feeder when it burst out and snatched a dove out of the air within a few feet of her window.

I know of the following additionally confirmed sightings by friends and family memebers:

1.My uncle has pictures of one that he photographedin the Benezette area of the state. While returning from a fishing trip, it crossed the road right in front of his pick-up before stopping when he snapped the shot. He and his friend both clearly identified it as a mountain lion. (His photois not a digital photo, but I will try to get a scan of the original print & post it up here.)

2. About 15 years ago,a family friend observed onein pasture near their house justoutside of Williamsport in Lycoming County.When she saw it, she called her husband ( a gunsmith)whom also watched it for at least 30 minute before it crossed the field and re-entered the woods.

3. My uncle and his son found one sleeping on a large rock in Potter County between Galeton and Coudersport during deer season about 10 years ago. When they couldn't identify the animal from a distance,they stalkedup closer andgot within 40 yards before it woke, lept up, and slunk away.

There may not be a lot of them, but they are definitely out there.

It is only a matter of time until someone either shoots or traps one ... even though it is technically illegal.

- Gr8ful Deer
Old 12-22-2005, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mountain Lions Are Absolutely in PA

I will stop doubting and become a believer when ANYONE shows real proof.
Until then the stories are entertaining.

Steve
Old 12-22-2005, 05:27 PM
Typical Buck

I know of one cougarthat was just East ofHarrisburg a few years ago. Cost the owner a fair amount of fine money when someone turned in him for having an exotic pet without the proper permits.

Figure if some knucklehead got away with keeping one in an apartment without anyone knowing about it for some time, bound to be a few other undocumented ones aroundthat either escaped or were turned loose for whatever reason. People do strange things.

There isa family in YorkCounty that keeps exotic pets. Every now and then one of their wallabies escapes and it takes them weeks or months to round the little rascal up again. I know he exists 'cause his picture has been in the paper and on the TV news during such escapes.

When he's running around loosein the wilds ofYork County, it doesn't mean PA has a wallaby population, whenever he's outside of the chainlink fence.

Old 12-22-2005, 05:45 PM

I've heard of sightings from very credable sources, however I would rather see one with my own eyes to confirm.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:52 PM
Typical Buck

Me too, 'cause almost everyone else I knowis full of hot air and ba-looney, at least on this subject.

[8D]
Old 12-22-2005, 05:52 PM

I have no problem beliving it.
It's just like bears here in S jersey.
Nobody believes it when you tell them theres bears here,even when it's plastered across the TV for a week .TV crew got caught it running across the street,so the peeps who say theres none here, now say it's only one bear,theres no more.
Dumb A$$'s
Old 12-22-2005, 07:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well I guess that ultimately settles the debate then![:-]

Blah blah blah where's the proof? How many more mountain lion threads could there possibly be?
Old 12-22-2005, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm guessing..............12?
Old 12-22-2005, 07:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

i believe you.i saw one in pottersdale,pa.15 years ago and PGC said, i idenified a mountain lion but we dont believe it.they would not even come out and take tracks of it.i had witness and we are in woods a lot for last 50 years and hunt and fish. i can tell you this, when you see a mountain lion it will be something you never saw in your life here in pa. the tail will be real long and round looking and face will have a go-tee and small head and big shoulders. we were 15 ft from lion when he saw us and gave out a screach.yes, they are here.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:39 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: SteveBNy

I'm guessing..............12?
13 if you count the relased one from the DEC or PGC....

Quick Reply: Mountain Lions Are Absolutely in PA (photo Added)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.